Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the 6 moth waiting period start?

My insurance has a 6 month waiting period before surgery where I have to meet with a nutrionist, a mental health screen and work on and exercise plan. I wanted to know when does that 6 month period start. Is it when the doctor refers you, or after 6 sessions with a nutrionist? I just forgot to ask and I am trying to figure it out. Thanks

My insurance has a 6 month waiting period before surgery where I have to meet with a nutrionist' date=' a mental health screen and work on and exercise plan. I wanted to know when does that 6 month period start. Is it when the doctor refers you, or after 6 sessions with a nutrionist? I just forgot to ask and I am trying to figure it out. Thanks[/quote']

For me it started with my first visit to my primary care physician. I went every month, then she completed a form for each month detailing my medical conditions and my weight for each month. That was submitted to the insurance coordinator at my surgeon's office, and she packaged it up with my psych eval, my medical clearance from my cardiologist, and my meeting the nutritionist session (only 1 was required).

But every insurance company is different (mine is United Health Care.). Your surgeon's insurance coordinator should be able to walk you through the requirements.

That is really a question you would have to find out based off your insurance company. I never had a 6 month wait period, I just had to have certain appointments in before I could schedule my final appt with my surgeon to schedule my surgery.

Is it a six month waiting period or a six month medically supervised diet? For me, it was the diet. It started with the first nutritionist visit and ended with the seventh visit. The visits had to be a month apart.

Mine started with my first dietitian visit

Mine started with the 1st visit with the bariatric staff. surgeon, nut, exercise person. The interim monthly visits I did with my PCP as it was easier for me to see than scheduling with bariatric office. 6 complete months meant 7 visits total.

I didn't have a waiting period. Just had to finish all appointments, testing & get clearances. My first consult & information sessions was in July & doc asked me when would I like to have the procedure. I told her oct or nov. so we scheduled all appointments right away. Sleeved Nov 7. It was a really fast process for me.

I didn't have a waiting period. Just had to finish all appointments' date=' testing & get clearances. My first consult & information sessions was in July & doc asked me when would I like to have the procedure. I told her oct or nov. so we scheduled all appointments right away. Sleeved Nov 7. It was a really fast process for me.[/quote']

Hi :))

Fast !!!!!!! Good for you honey

What health insurance do you have

For me (United Health Care - Optimum Health Bariatric Resources) the start date was the first weigh in that I had with my general doctor noting my bmi at 40+.

Hi :))

Fast !!!!!!! Good for you honey

What health insurance do you have

Independence Blue Cross

For me (United Health Care - Optimum Health Bariatric Resources) the start date was the first weigh in that I had with my general doctor noting my bmi at 40+.

Did you have to do the 6 month dr supervised visits? And how many visits total? 6 or 7

Yes I have to do the 6 months of supervised visits. I've completed 4 of them. I have one on Aug 9th and another September 9th and then I'm ready for insurance to approve and surgery date to be made. My bariatric dr knows that I want to get it done asap.

Yes I have to do the 6 months of supervised visits. I've completed 4 of them. I have one on Aug 9th and another September 9th and then I'm ready for insurance to approve and surgery date to be made. My bariatric dr knows that I want to get it done asap.

I was just concerned because my understanding was we only had to do six actual visit for the 6 month dr supervised diet an some are saying that actually means 7 visits. Lol confused. I have UHC - optimum bariatric resources also. I just don't wanna think I am done in sept and have another month tacked on. Lol I also wanna get this done ASAP!!! Maybe I will call optimum tomorrow to clarify.

They gave me a form to fill out that has only six rows to fill in.

They gave me a form to fill out that has only six rows to fill in.

Yes I have that, too. Just psyching myself out. I am gonna quit worrying about it.