Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Injury but cant take ibuprophen

Hi. I just started exercising again, which I live, but i pulled something in my lower left back and the pain is shooting down my left leg. I'm so bummed bc I usually take Advil for this and it really helps but I think I can't take that now (9 wks out). I guess I just have to rest, but other suggestions appreciated. Oh, I also have a deteriorating disc btwn L5 and L6, so that is probably in play here as well.

My doctor told me I could take Tylenol- I know it doesn't work as good as an NSAID, but it will take the edge off the pain.

Yeah, no ibuprofen is tough. I am injury prone and am trying to tough it out. Walgreens has an arthritis-strength Tylenol (625 mg each). I pop 2 of those and it seems to help some.

I did get permission from my surgeon to take ibuprofen for a hip injury. I took 2 and was hungry for a couple of days. Guess it was really eating my stomach. So not worth it.

Wow I wasn't aware (or didn't pay attention) that sleepers weren't allowed to take Advil, I take Advil whenever I have a headache. It doesn't bother/upset my stomach. Why is it a no-no??

NDAIDs can potentially cause ulcers in sleeved stomachs. My doctor said if you have to take one, take it with Prilosec, which will protect the stomach.

Ibuprofen (NSAID) is really an issue for RNY surgeries and not VSG surgeries. Regardless, you will want he blessing of your doctor before taking it. Mine said to wait until 6 months post op, which I did. That was 6 months ago.

Now I take NSAID whenever it is needed, sometimes the 800 mg prescription variety. Fortunately it is not needed now for chronic back pain nearly as it was needed before. After much thinking about why this would be the case, I think it is about posture and proper muscle support in the back. I have a lot more muscle today and stand with good posture.

Another OTC NSAID is naproxen. I found this to be fairly effective and costco sells big bottles of it.

Back to your pain and desire for relief. A non drug remedy that worked well for me when not wanting to take pain drugs is a product called Thermacare.

http://www.thermacare.com/

It is a cloth wrap that you strap into place with velcro. It provides an amazing 8 hours of pain relief in the back. I have not used it anywhere else, but I am surfeit works well in other places. The application of heat actually blocks the pain signals to the brain. You can buy these anywhere in grocery stores, drug stores, in bulk at costco and online direct or from places like Amazon.

Hot showers and baths apply the same heat principle to blocking pain signals.

You might also consider a topical application of Diclofenac (NSAID) called Voltaren gel. This can be applied topically to the location in pain and the NSAIDs are absorbed directly into he skin and blood stream without going through the stomach. This product is fairly strong and only available by prescription. Fair warning that it smells bad though.

Another topical NSAID is called the fletcher patch. This is a strong topical application of Diclofenac directly into the skin and blood stream.

If you do not want prescription based topical solutions, you might consider OTC products instead. Look in the pain relief section of any drug store and you will find various ointment and patch products for sale.

You might also try icing the injury. Although heat will definitely make you feel better, it does not help to reduce inflammation like ice does. Ice is nowhere near as comforting as heat, and the first few minutes of icing really suck, but ice helps you heal and heat just masks the pain. I learned this from a physical therapist I saw for several months after being injured in a car accident a few years ago.

You might also try icing the injury. Although heat will definitely make you feel better' date=' it does not help to reduce inflammation like ice does. Ice is nowhere near as comforting as heat, and the first few minutes of icing really suck, but ice helps you heal and heat just masks the pain. I learned this from a physical therapist I saw for several months after being injured in a car accident a few years ago.[/quote']

Thanks for that information. Catalogued in the knowledge bank. :)

Hi. I just started exercising again, which I live, but i pulled something in my lower left back and the pain is shooting down my left leg. I'm so bummed bc I usually take Advil for this and it really helps but I think I can't take that now (9 wks out). I guess I just have to rest, but other suggestions appreciated. Oh, I also have a deteriorating disc btwn L5 and L6, so that is probably in play here as well.

The pain you're describing shooting down your leg(especially with your back history) sounds more like a nerve than just a pulled muscle. You may need to speak to your doctor to see if a steroid would be needed (to reduce the inflammation).

NSAIDS are never recommended close to any surgery bc of the increased bleeding risk, but as others have said, also to protect our stomachs from ulcers (ouch!)

I hope you feel better soon!!!

You might also try icing the injury. Although heat will definitely make you feel better, it does not help to reduce inflammation like ice does. Ice is nowhere near as comforting as heat, and the first few minutes of icing really suck, but ice helps you heal and heat just masks the pain. I learned this from a physical therapist I saw for several months after being injured in a car accident a few years ago.

What I have found from my multiple orthopedic and PT experiences over the years is that the heat promotes bloodflow to the injury site which helps the healing (blood brings in more oxygen and protein) while the icing reduces the inflammation which reduces the pain that goes along with it. That's some of the PT's will start the session with heat, exercise and work the area and then end with icing. Alternating heat and ice is also a common recommendation.

Yeah my doc said no NSAID drugs for the rest of my life :( Tylenol does nothing for me.