Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question About Flights in Canada....

Alright....fellow Canucks :canada:

:) :mad: :mad:

Does anyone out there know any "inside" info that can help me out? Within a few months, I need to fly from TO to Victoria (to visit parents) and the investigating I've dones for the cost is ridiculously high (ie. I can't find anything for under $800 return...for just ONE person!). It sickens me that I can go to Vegas for 4 nights (flight & hotel) on that same price.

Is it pretty much only WestJet and Air Canada that are my options? Is there another airline in Canada that I'm not aware of? I remember when they used to put on "seat sales"....does this still happen? If so, is there advance notice? I've been told I just have to check the sites everyday. Do you think a travel agent would be of some benefit?

Any advice to reduce my flying costs (besides the obvious) would be appreciated!

Tks guys (& gals!).

:mad:

Wait Yoda there are always deals!! Both air canada and westjet usually have similar rates. But wait to book til a sale comes up. Check westjet.com They even have $5 off if you book online and $5 off on Thursdays something like that.

Good luck.

That is what I thought Lila...but is there ever advance warning or do I have to literally check on the site every day?

And, yes you are correct....WestJet and Aircanada have always been within $20 of each other (total) for the flights from TO to Vic.

there is a special offer on at Air Canada.. travel west./ travel east/ travel whole country... unlimited passes for a month... between 225-400 approx.. Check it out...

aircanada.com It expires tomorrow !!!

Blessings

Neila

How 'bout $500? Just punched YYZ to YYJ in, and you could go there on Feb 22-27 for a little over $500. (just put those dates in as an example) Even cheaper if you wanted to fly just to Vancouver.

I get emails from WestJet (almost everyday) telling me about sales, etc. Go here, http://c1dsp.westjet.com/guest/jetMailInfo.jsp and it should tell you how to sign up for 'JetMail'. (if you want)

Try this : http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/air/websaver_fares/websaver_fares.html?src=hp_wn .... might set you up to see AirCanada's 'webSaver' rates.

Yes Yoda, did you see the AC unlimited pass special?? That would have worked well, although I don't know if there were any date restrictions. I wonder if it is because you are flying into Victoria that it's so expensive. Might you be able to fly into Vancouver and it would cost you less? Although then you have to find your way to Victoria but thats not too difficult with the ferry system. Good luck with it.

Becca

Thanks guys....

Unlimited Pass with AirCanada?? grrrr no.....I did NOT see that (& I have been looking!).

Tks for the sites Mandi....I"ll check them out.

(I'd like to go in mid April).

Okay, I signed up for the WestJet thing and they have a sale on right now.....I could go to Vic for $627 (better than $827)....but you have to travel my 7 Mar; I can't go untiil after Mar.....BUT I will keep checking....maybe there will be more sales as the time gets closer for the dates I want. Thanks for the tip.

As for AirCanada...I checked out the pass thingy but the cheapest I can find (ie. for pass in North America) is $1999.00!! So, perhaps I'm missing the link somewhere....or it's over.

:cry

Ahhh, I found it....however it is only good until 6 Mar and I can't go before Apr...I'm good to go anytime after April.

Thanks though!

Yoda,

Spill the beans! OH, I forgot, taking the ferry from Vancouver as a foot passenger will save you on fare to Victoria. The added costs from Vancouver to Victoria are what makes your flight so expensive. Friend just flew before Christmas and took the bus from Ferry to Victoria and being a foot passenger plus the bus still saved her money (not time but depends on what you want - $$ savings or time) You're going to Wow your parents!

haha you guys are funny!

First of all, nooooo I am not going for the purpose of "wowing" my parents (truly nothing to wow them about anyways).....it is just I haven't been out there in 2 years and though I've seen my mom since then (she came here) I haven't seen my dad.....and he is almost 73 (tho they are both in excellent health)....I just figure I should see them (the obligation thing happening) sometime soon or I'll never get around to it. I'm tied up with work until end March but after that I'm flexible for a few months.

I will see them in Jun (they are coming here for 3 nights before heading to Ottawa to see my sister and the grandkids) but it isn't the same as me visiting them out there......and I've begun to hear some "grumblings".....ya know? Plus, in 2008, Mr Yoda and I are planning on going to Germany so a trip to BC will be out for 2008.....so if I don't see them in 2007 it ain't gonna happen until 2009 and THAT won't make them happy!

Roxanne....that isn't always the case about it being THAT much cheaper flying into Vancouver. When I went 2 yrs ago, we did that and with the bus fare etc....etc....it only ended up being $10 cheaper.....!!! Not worth it!

Anyways...AirCanada just announced a seat sale....I can get to Victoria for $554!!!! But of course they don't mention how long the sale is on....I don't want to be forced to buy my ticket right now.....so I'm gonna call AC today to see if they know how long the opportunity will be for. It's always such a gamble!

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Yoda,

Have you been to Germany??? Mr Bear grew up there (well almost 8 years worth!) and still talks about it. 2008 isn't far away.

Glad to hear you'll be able to get a cheaper flight. Maybe waiting until later will be the ticket to a great seat sale.

4 more days until back to work ...sigh :0( I don't know whether to look forward to the stack of paperwork in my in-basket or just a change in scenery. March break seems like a long ways away.

Pool was PACKED today so swimming was kinda intimidating but I did it anyways. Feels good to be getting back into some physical exercise.

Hugs.

Roxanne: I lived in Germany as a kid and I went back again 12 years ago to meet all my German relatives for the first time. When I lived in Germany they were "stuck" in Russia but once the Wall came down they all were able to migrate back to their homeland in Germany. The Canadian gov't wouldn't allow my Dad to go to Russia to seek them out when we lived there so we never got to see/meet them. My Grandpa was the only one of the family who "got away" when the Russian Revolution broke out and made it to Canada....all the other famiily members got "stuck". So, me and one of my cousins (2nd cousin) got in contact about 16 yrs ago now and he and I started the ball rolling. It was difficult at first as all his letters were in Russian (& eventually German once he learned the language) and mine were writen in English. When I went there 12 yrs ago I was welcomed with amazingly open arms and had this HUGE family I didn't know about. I fell in love with everyone so much that I convinced my dad (& mom) to go...they did and now they have been 3 times. So, I'm itchin' to get back there and see everyone. Since then, a few of them have learned English.....which is GREAT....I promised to learn German...and unlike them (who kept their promises to learn English); I didn't (sigh).....but I miss them terribly and I want them & Mr. Yoda to meet!

By the way Roxanne.....ummmm....do you go to the pool that I think you go to???

I've already been at work for 2 days already!! But, admittedly it is very quite.....only 4 of us in the entire bldg...next week the grind will start again!!!