Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Size acceptance movement

Hi all. I was just wondering what everybody thinks about the size acceptance movement? I think from a point of coming to some kind of peace with your weight/physical self it is valid, but I struggle to accept it from a health/wellbeing point of view. Is it healthy to never consider the implications that being morbidly obese can bring?

I also cringe when I hear people use the term '' People of size''. I am all for people learning to come to love themselves and have some inner peace, but should we never consider that being morbidly obese can have terrible consequences?

Susannah

Hey Jacko, Good answer. I think that people have hijacked the term '' People of color'' which was supposed to be an affirming and uplifting term for African American people, and have diminished it by saying ''People of size''.

Just my thought about it really. Susannah

I don't know Susannah, I don't see how lifting up one group of oppressed people can diminish another set.

I think accepting yourself is the best think you can do for yourself. My mother has been MO all my life. And I watched her struggle with her weight, and not only did her weight affect her activities, but it affected the lives of all her kids. I'm pretty sure of that, it affected the girls anyway... it sure affected me...

I watched her forever "when I lose X pounds" or "when I am size Y I will do..." It was so hard to watch her wait her whole life for something that would never happen. She used to go dancing before she married my dad, but then she stopped and didn't want to go back until she lost weight.

When I was 18, it was pretty clean that I was going to be heavy. (I was Cushing's even then) But I decided that I was never going to let my size hold me back, I was not going to put restriction on myself based on my size or weight. EVER. I'm a fat belly dancer, but I dance, and I don't care because I love to dance.

I don't care if it isn't "approprate" because who is to tell me what is?

And as we have learned this last year, there are those of us who really have no control over their size or weight. No amount of anything, until I am cured, is going to help me lose weight or size. And I am not alone in this either.

For some of us, there is no connection between eating behaviour, excersize and size. For some of us, it is a tumor.

Hi Vines, thanks for those thoughts. I think by all means don't exclude yourself from living your life at any weight, but people also need to not put on blinkers as to the implications their weight will have on their life.

By the way, what is Cushings disease?

Susannah

There's two sides to it - self acceptance and facing reality. You can accept yourself at size 26 or whatever as long as you also accept that you're facing some pretty serious health consequences and will probably die young.

Even when it is totally beyond your control, the fact still exists that being morbidly obese has negative consequences. So part of self acceptance has to be coming to terms with that. But when you can control it, part of accepting yourself is admitting that you cant or wont. Self acceptance is not saying "stuff it, I"m happy at that size" because who really can be happy knowing they are cutting their life short as a consequence of their actions?

That doesnt mean thought that society as a whole should be more accepting, understanding and just plain practical for larger people.

I think that most people know the what comes from being overweight. Sure there are some people that aren't the brightest, but unless you are living under a rock you know being morbidly obese isn't good for you. You may not want to admit it, but you know how you got there.

As far as the size exceptance movement, I don't see anything wrong with it. Why not except the way you are being whether you are fat and working on it, not working on it, whatever. Why should overweight people have to see around and feel bad?

I went to one of the "size acceptance" websites, and they literally slam the WLS community. From the majority of their posts, they see us as sell outs. They had one person on there who just asked a legitimate question about WLS, and they flamed him and told him to get off their board. I agree, he should have come here or to one of the other WLS sites, but he was not promoting WLS at all. So, I am saying all that to say this, if the fat acceptance people want people to "accept" them and their choices, they should be more accepting of others who have made different choices, like WLS.

I went to one of the "size acceptance" websites, and they literally slam the WLS community. From the majority of their posts, they see us as sell outs. They had one person on there who just asked a legitimate question about WLS, and they flamed him and told him to get off their board. I agree, he should have come here or to one of the other WLS sites, but he was not promoting WLS at all. So, I am saying all that to say this, if the fat acceptance people want people to "accept" them and their choices, they should be more accepting of others who have made different choices, like WLS.

LOL, maybe they are extemist...

Here is a quote from one of the websites that I found...."It is our philosophy that all people are valuable and productive citizens of society regardless of size.

By developing and acknowledging self-esteem, self-love, pride and self-acceptance of who we are it is our intent to reflect positive images onto others.

Thus, the ultimate promotion of Size Acceptance. "

Another site: "Size acceptance isn't about giving up - it's about demanding respect for yourself and taking control of your life and your health. It's about not letting a biased society or your size keep you from living your life fully - right now - at any weight."

I found some wacky sites too though....I don't know where in the world they got their research...Interesting!!

Yes, me too. All people are valuable, regardless of size. Being fat doesnt make you a non entity. But self acceptance doesnt mean becoming extremist and sticking your head in the sand about the health issues, it means realising your innate value and being proud of yourself, your self esteem not being dependent upon your size.

I think it takes courage for anyone to reach out for support, and I hope its found. But I also hope it is balanced and truthfull.

I think everyone is valuable and their value is not because of size, color or faith. I think that they are valuable because they are. Period. Life is valuable. All of it.

I separate their value from there physical, intellectual, and emotional standing. All of that is part of a continum that is undefinable by me anyway. I would hope that we could respect each other in any state, and be truthfull that certain stages of life are enevitable. Once I was skinny and now Im not. Once I was young, and now not, and once I was very uneducated, and now Im more educated. My value has remained constant to me. I dont just accept myself, I esteem myself and others. To me that is very different. Just like tolerance donotes something recognized, but put up with anyway. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth so to speak. I dont just tolerate differences I revel in them. Health is valuable, and not just a fad.

We esteem ourselves by being as healthy as possible. However, if someone has a disease, I dont judge them as though they are faulty or subgrade.

I hope we dont value each other for what we do for each other. That would be very sad indeed.

As far as size acceptance, 65 percent of America is obese now according to last weeks news. That was amazing to me. I saw a movie filmed in the early 50's and EVERYONE looked anorexic to me. It felt strange.

Yes, me too. All people are valuable, regardless of size. Being fat doesnt make you a non entity. But self acceptance doesnt mean becoming extremist and sticking your head in the sand about the health issues, it means realising your innate value and being proud of yourself, your self esteem not being dependent upon your size.

Of course not, but there are tons of extremist in all types of groups. I don't think it's fair to judgement an a group by a few. I think they have the right idea and some people are just taking it too far.

I won't accept my size because once I do I will stop doing anything about it. I accept other peoples sizes and always have but for myself I cant. I suppose thats my own battle I have to fight.

I don't think it is honest or appropriate to equate "people of color" and "people of size." The two types of characteristics are not the least bit comparable. If you are a person of color you a) were born that way, :girl_hug: have no choice about it, and c) are just like any other human being in any way that matters. If you are a person of size you a) were not born that way, :) do have a choice about it, and c) are not just like everyone else because you are willing to die young for the right to overeat.

I do think it is good to recognize your worth and value even if you are fat. For many people this is the first step to starting to deal with it. In that sense I think the "size acceptance" movement is a good thing.

But if the "size acceptance" movement ends up providing an excuse for self-destructive behavior and early death, I don't think it is such a good thing.

I don't think it is honest or appropriate to equate "people of color" and "people of size." The two types of characteristics are not the least bit comparable. If you are a person of color you a) were born that way, :girl_hug: have no choice about it, and c) are just like any other human being in any way that matters. If you are a person of size you a) were not born that way, :) do have a choice about it, and c) are not just like everyone else because you are willing to die young for the right to overeat.

I do think it is good to recognize your worth and value even if you are fat. For many people this is the first step to starting to deal with it. In that sense I think the "size acceptance" movement is a good thing.

But if the "size acceptance" movement ends up providing an excuse for self-destructive behavior and early death, I don't think it is such a good thing.

Marjon, I agree with you about the equating people of size and people of color. Too completely different things. But I really didn't hear anyone comparing the two. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but I thought they were just saying it was a term that was used "people of size." I personally am okay with the term fat, some way find it derogatory.

Question: Have any of yal actually heard someone use this term (people of size).