Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 12 days post-op. I'm having trouble keeping myself hydrated/fueled. I get full after two ounces of anything. I spent Wednesday in the hospital trying to balance my electrolytes and I don't want to do that again.

Any ideas or suggestions that has worked for others? I'm only consuming about 200 cal a day. I want more, but I can't physically figure out how.

I know it is hard. I went through the exact same thing. When I came home from the ER I decided - no matter what- i will get my fluids in. So for 2 weeks - literally non-stopped sipping Water, light V8 juice, the low cal gatorade , broths and 2 Protein Shakes a day. I became very well hydrated. After that 2 weeks - I felt so much better and by that time was able to increase my calories. You are in a fragile post-op stage. Just concentrate on your fluids for the next 2 weeks- it will get easier. Doesn't it blow you away when you see people write that they eat pizza in week 2 or 3??????? I can't even imagine having pizza now and Im 5 months out. Keep us posted.

I downloaded an app on my phone that is a stopwatch, and all day long, I set it at 10 minute intervals to remind me to sip my Water. It has really helped me to get down the right amount of fluids every day. If I am drinking plain water, I find that I can take a sip every 7 minutes, but anything other than water I set for 10 minutes so I don't ever feel too full. I am probably only at about 300-400 calories a day, but my Dr. told me to focus on fluids before Protein, which is what I do. Most days I can get in both my fluids and my protein though, but only by supplementing my food with Protein Shakes and using the timer to remind me to sip.

@Meliss130

OMG, I thought the same, on both points.

I have increased my intake from 25 cal to 200, but it's really hard. I do a lot of walking to move things down. I don't want to stretch my stomach or get a leak, so I can't imagine eating fatty solids. I bought this thing out of pocket-Im not going to waste my $$.

Although, I cannot lie, egg whites or a puréed egg sounds delightful. :) cheers to next week!

I got dehydrated one week after I came home..I did not even know that was the problem....My hubby ran out and got some G2 Gatorade and I sipped it for a bit and found it worked well on my dehydration...Weeks later I still drink it....I mix half and half with Water and it has kept me hydrated.......

Along with juice and tea and water.......But you are right, I used to drink a lot more Water before surgery then I do now...The G2 has made the difference for me.....

I drink a lot of Powerade Zero (like Gatorade) to stay hydrated. I think I've also eaten my weight in popsicles lately. Even in week 3, I have trouble getting enough fluids / Protein. Someone in the chat room suggested Isopure ready made drinks (about $4 a 20 oz bottle at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe). Some people don't like it mainly due to the slick "aftertaste" but it has 40g of protein in it!! and only 160 calories and zero carbs! Because it's a clear liquid, you get to count is as 20 oz of Water and 40g of protein. (Note: I am not a spokesperson for this product)

I'm 6-1/2 weeks post-op and I am still having a hard time getting all my fluids in. I try to always have a water bottle with me..focus on drinking so much on my way to work...before lunch...it will happen slowly so don't get discouraged.

Do you drink every 10 min or other?