Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im having the sleeve done in 2 weeks (6-25) I am having some anxiety, is this normal? I know this is the right thing for me but none the less Im scared to death. help :(

I JUST posted about an hour ago about how excited I was and then just a few minutes ago a HUGE wave of anxiety came over me. I know this is the right decision, but it is MAJOR surgery too. I imagine our emotions are gonna roller coaster for a while before and probably after the surgery. I will tell you that you are NOT the only one having these feelings. I'm totally in your boat!

oh thank god! LOL I am so nervous and Im a very strong person but everytime I think about the actual procedure, I have anxiety! Im so glad Im not the only one! best of luck to you!!!! :) and thanks for responding!

Hello I had surgery May 13, 2013. No regrets. I went through the same thing wondering if I was doing the right thing. My 2 week pre-op Dr is going over my blood work and everything is elevated. Glucose high

hemoglobin a1c high cholesterol high the way i was going i would be a diabetic in no time at all, not where I wanted to be my mother was a diabetic and that is what I lost her to, she passed 4 days after my surgery. So I knew then it was the right thing to do. Starting weight 239 today at 212. I'm happy, all my numbers are going down, glucose is good a1c down. Hope you decide what is right for you. Good luck.

First let me say, I am so sorry for your loss! I cannot imagine what you are going through :( I am not having second thoughts, just nervous. Its weird, Ive never had anxiety so Im assuming this is what I am feeling. Not a good feeling, that's for sure. I am concerned about being nauseous and vomiting post surgery. That is basically all I care about, the pain will go away but I don't want to spend the rest of my life feeling nauseous.

Totally normal. :D

I think its totally normal I was thinking the same thing I didn't want to be sick and or in pain. I have to say I didn't have any of that, no nausea, vomiting or pain a little discomfort but that's it. My Dr prescribed me a pill for nausea I had to take 2 hours prior to surgery he said it is prescribed for cancer patients for nausea. It helped.

Just breathe. The anxiety is normal. I was sleeved on the 5th, and had it about 2 weeks out too. Make yourself comfortable with your surgeon. Do you question his ability, do you know his bedside manner? Have you met him face to face? This was a huge calming factor for me. i wont say that I wasnt a little nervous the day of, but not like the anxiety I had.

If you are worried about nausea, talk to your doctor or nurse NOW about having them prescribe a nausea medicine. My doc has all patients pick up prescribed pain killers and nausea medicine the day before surgery. We use it as needed when we leave the hospital. At the hospital, they should be giving you something through the IV. I still gagged when I sat up to do the walking, but it was caused by the movement of the gas into my lungs and I was coughing so hard to get it out. I am told this is rare. Most will burp or toot it out. so...lucky me. : / In all, it wasnt the bad because the stomach is so numbed up. I didn't feel any pain. There should be nothing in the stomach, so nothing should come up.

Just breathe....

thank you guys sooooo much!!!!! I really really do appreciate it :)

I am 6 months out today. Not a single day of regret. I had never been in the hospital prior to surgery so the unknown was making me a little anxious. I focused on what I could control. My prep work, my pre op diet etc... Had a notebook with me for questions in the hospital etc. I felt I made the best decision I could in picking my surgeon and I had to put faith in that. Post op, I had minimal anxiety. Again it was related to the unknown... "what was THAT noise coming from my new tummy???" "If I move a certain way will i have pain?" All very normal and expected. As you said, it is major surgery. Trust in your decision, your surgeon and yourself.

Best of luck to you!!

Thank you sooo much! :)

I don't even have a date yet, and I'm anxious! LOL The gal that did my pysch eval said she'd be concerned if patients didn't have concerns before having the procedure. Good luck!

We have the same surgery date!

I first considered all this in 2001, and had my first actual appointment in January of 2012, so it is safe to say I have given it a lot of thought... Once I made up my mind I was very sure it was the right thing to do, and I still am, but that doesn't take away the concerns associated with a major surgery and fear of failure. As I get closer to the date, it all becomes more real and these worries get stronger. But I am still sure this is the right thing to do.

Still scary though! Good luck!

I was sleeved on the 6th and I almost CANCELLED the morning of the surgery but so glad I did not!! This went so smoothly but I had been reading a ton of negative stories...just remember everyone is different and that the majority of those getting sleeved don't have complications!

Im having the sleeve done in 2 weeks (6-25) I am having some anxiety' date=' is this normal? I know this is the right thing for me but none the less Im scared to death. help :([/quote']

I'm booked for the same day as you! One moment I'm excited and the next I'm thinking what the heck am I about to do!? It's

definitely normal to be feeling like this. Keep telling yourself why you're doing it!