Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Consult is Tomorrow!

I finally got the nerve up to call back the people from the WLSC... I had signed up for a seminar, taken an online survey, and asked for more info.. several times, but always chickened out when they called me.....

Well yesterday I called them back and tomorrow I have a consult appointment, they faxed a boatload of paperwork to me to fill out and have ready.

I will then have the road to insurance approval. Even if I don't have insurance approval, they offer a self pay price of 17,500 for EVERYTHING including the consult and a year of unlimited fills.........

I am nervous about having foreign objects in my body, but I don't want to go the gastric bypass route. I have 2 close friends that went that route and both have done wonderful, but I know it is not for me...... They both say it is the best thing they ever did.... one is about 4 years post op and the other one is 2 years post op.. both started out well over 300lbs and both lost well over 100 lbs.......

Anyway.. I just wanted to post an intro, and thank everyone for all the info.:girl_hug:

I hope to be a bandster in 2007!

Tracy

263.8/263.8/149;)

Hello and welcome Tracy. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I fought hard about my decision, but finally came to the decision that this was the right thing for me. I have lost a lot of weight Low Carbing, but I CANNOT keep it off. I gain it back in a matter of weeks, when it takes months to lose it, I can gain it back in a split second - I hate that.

Anyhow, welcome and I wish you all the best. You can find a lot of support here and everyone is very nice with answering any questions you may have.

Hi Tracy, welcome to the lapband forum. You will find a wealth of information here. Good luck with your impending informational seminar and surgery.

Thanks everyone...

I actually have a dr. appointment tomorrow, they said they will verify insurance and tell me how much I will be expected to pay.

oh.. and YES... I've been doing lots of reading and research! This place is great!:biggrin1:

Welcome tracy and good luck on your dr's appointment...as to the 'foreign object thing' you get used to it and as long as you follow the rules you'll probably forget that it is even there... You have an exciting journey ahead of you and make sure you keep us posted too. Wont be long now before you are another one of Lap band Talks' success stories.

:girl_hug: becky

Welcome Tracy! Lap Band is great. I have freinds also that have done well with RNY, but this was for me and has been successful so far. Having the "foreign body" is not an issue, no worse than having an artificial joint (knee, hip) put in or numerous other procedures. Very safe. Wish you well!

Morning all.......... well I was a net junkie last night and I spent pretty much the better part of 5 hours researching doctors and found out that I actually have 4 surgeons in my area that are listed on OH AND are in my insurance network! So, I cancelled my appointment for this morning witht he WLSC because they are out of network, and I would of had to pay $150.00 for today's visit...... as soon as Dr.Opie's office opens I'm going to call and see what the process is.......... also I broke the news to fdh last night, and suprisingly he was supportive..... said he loved me no matter my size, but he knew that I wasn't happy with my weight...... an amazingly sensitive moment from him! (this is the same guy who doesn't know what color my eyes are!) LOL

I am even more set in my thinking now, I am going to be a bandster in 2007!

Congrats, Tracy! I've been a lurker for years at the low carb site you post at and feel like I know you! I had planned on getting banded in December but due to having the flu it has been postponed- hopefully will happen in January! I am self-pay so congrats on the possibility of getting your insurance to cover it! Don't you just love this site! Keep us updated!

MCWMS!!!!! LOL that is so funny.. yeah.. I hang my life out there for all to read about, and if you've lurked over there for years you've seen me go DOWN the scale, and you've seen me go back UP! I still love my lcf buds, but I KNOW I run the chance of getting flamed by so openly announcing my choice to become a bandster.. but I don't care....

We ALL have our journeys, and I know that LC works FOR ME and I know that I'll be sticking to LC after the band, because the band is a tool for me to keep the weight off... AFTER I LOSE IT YET AGAIN.....

Update to this original post.......... I decided to have Dr. Malley in KS, do my surgery... he is well talked about on here and on OH dot com. I signed up for his seminar and I actually have my consult scheduled for 1/08/2007. They emailed me today with a web movie they want me to watch before my appointment...

I upped my FSA account to cover my out of pocket max, and I just got the card today... (It is so cool.. it's a prepaid Visa debit card with the entire amount on it) all I will have to do is swipe it at Dr. Malleys, and I'm paid for! that said........ if for some reason my insurance flops.. I will be buying a TON of Over the counter meds for EVERYONE this year! LOL

Thanks for the post mcwms.. I think that is pretty neat that you recognize me from the other site............. or that means I have a big mouth! LOL ROFL!!!! BOTH :)

I look forward to YOUR updates as you join BandLand!~:clap2:

I don't go much at all anymore (after losing and gaining and losing and gaining over and over again, just like you), but would that be lowcarbeating.com? :)

Congrats on taking the first step... I'm not quite there yet myself, aside from researching online as much as possible, but that's gotta be exciting for you!

Stacy: I know what you mean.. it took me a solid year of debating it.. and trying to just do it myself again to come to MY decision.... yours will come in time.. no matter what it is, it will be the right one for you

Congrats on deciding on your MD and getting the consult scheduled! I've decided I've fooled around long enough and wasted enough time- 2007 is going to be my year! (and all of ours!)

Mary

Update: I've been posting my insurance progress over on the insurance thread.....

Here is my latest: I bit the bullet and called the customer service number on my card and they transfered me to MANAGED TIER, which deals with precertifications.

I just went round and round with a workerbee, and then the supervisor...

they both told me that I would indeed be required to be approved, and have to go through a precert. (My ID card says NO PRECERT Required) and our Open Enrollment Booklets clearly highlight it (on page 16) I read it to her..... I explained to her that we have 3 plans 2 PPO's and 1 CDHP, the CDHP is what I have...... (I also quoted back an email from the Tiffany person)....... this made the supervisor backpeddle and she is now reasearching it..... (She said.. well it's obvious you know your benefits, and I said, yes.. it's MY JOB, for my company.)

I also quoted our SPD requirement of BMI requirments. I told her that I have my consultation with the surgeon one week from today, and I have been working with the program coordinator to make sure everything goes smoothly... she did say that it was investigational.. and I said, it is no longer investigational...as of November 2006, and it under billing code: 43770............. THIS WHEEL IS A SQEAKING BABY!!!!!!!1

I will update when I know the outcome.....

Hi Tracy,

I wish I had as much knowledge as you! I am currently starting up the process myself. I have an apt. next tues. with my primary care doc. hopefully for a referral. Then I will have to go down the insurance road myself. Thanks for your help, through your threads, I feel like I am learning more about how insurance co. work! Good luck on your journey! Nicole

Nicole: Thanks for the compliment.....

I did get a call back from the supervisor person and she APOLOGIZED about the confusion. She said I was indeed correct, I did not need a pre-cert for my CDHP plan.... (YIPPPPPPPEEEEEEE)

but she cautioned me to go ahead and do one anyway just to make sure there isn't any problems with the billing... (I'm thinking in my head. YEAH RIGHT, give me my band and I'l deal with billing issues later!) SQUEAK!SQUEAK!

I just emailed the insurance coordinator for my surgeons office breaking down my insurance plan. I hope to hear back from her with a break down of what is going to be expected out of my pocket....

(It would be a dream come true if I could push all this through and get my band by the end of January)