Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good morning All, it is a beautiful day here in Oklahoma with a high of 80.. a few questions, hoping you guys can help (no doubt that you can't) :o).... So, I was reading somewhere on here that the girl had to have a tube going into there stomach, to drain fluids.. ok, that scares me so much.. do they put that in when you are under anthesia? And if so, when do they take it out? This girl was advising that was the worse part, the removal and cleaning the incision.. Please let me know, what was your experience, what was the worst part after waking up? Also, I am having surgery in Dallas, Texas and I reside in Oklahoma City, which is approximately 4 hours away, any recommendation on my trip home, should I stay in a hotel an extra day after being discharged? What is the average stay in the hospital, 1 or 2 days? Thanks!

Drain tubes are put in during surgery and removed after(in recovery). I did not have a drain, some doctors don't use them. My wife is having the surgery next week inMexico and she will have a drain for one day.

I did not have a drain so it might not even be something you'll have to worry about. As far as the car ride I will say I was much less sore on day 3 than I was on day 2 so staying another night close by might not be a terrible idea. Of course you could always head home and stop of you need to. Good luck with everything!

I didn't have a drain. Be sure to have a pillow with you for the ride home. It helps to hold the pillow to your stomach when traveling.

I DID NOT HAVE A DRAIN WHEN I WOKE UP AND MY INCISIONS LOOKED LIKED THEY HAD CRAZY GLUE ON THEM... NO STAPLES .. RIDE HOME WAS FINE.. JUST HAD A LOT OF GAS ,,, SO WALK WALK WALK,,AND RIDE HOME HELPED WITH GAS .....LOL LIKE I WAS BABY!!!!!!!!! LOL :P

I had a drain for 1 day. I woke up from surgery with it. It was inconvenient but not painful. It came out the afternoon following surgery. It didn't hurt coming out. It felt a bit peculiar on the way out but it wasn't pain. It only lasted 3 seconds and it was out. Don't worry too much about it. It was fine.

I had a drain for a week. My surgeon said some docs keep it in even longer. It all depends on your surgeon's protocol. It is inserted during surgery, and it was kind of annoying and uncomfortable for that week, but not really painful. I agree with sharonintx - removing the drain wasn't really painful, but very WEIRD. My surgeon pulled it out quickly in his office, my belly cramped suddenly, and then it was over.

Guys, thank you so much.. I always get helpful tips and such a quick response for my questions. It's almost as good as my doctor, for real.. LOL.. ok, so pillow check, what about the hospital stay what is the average?

I went in on Tueday AM and was home on Wednesday by 5:00p.(was ready to go a lot sooner) I had a drain that came out on Wednesday. I had some staples in the main incision area, but the rest were stitched and glued. The staples stayed in for a week, and came out at the Drs office at my first post op visit.

what about the hospital stay what is the average?

I was told to expect an overnight stay at the minimum.

I went in on a Monday and was discharged on Wednesday morning. I had a drain that was there when I woke up and was removed the morning I went home. A nurse pulled it. Again, not painful but strange. I didn't have any external sutures or staples and dermabond (basically like superglue) was over all of my incisions. The dermabond got itchy as it started coming off about a week to 10 days later. I had no complications and was up walking the halls the day of surgery. Good luck!!

I had a drain they put it in during the surgery. Not all Drs do this though. It's to make sure you don't have any leaks. When u drink anything blue or green it will show up in the drain if you have a leak. The drain doesn't hurt it's just kinda a pain in the butt. Especially when showering. It feels weird when they take it out doesn't hurt just feels strange. I had mine in for 2weeks. Just ask your Dr if he's gonna use one.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

thanks guys..

I'm a revision from a band and still did not have a drain. Stayed in the hospital two nites, they were going to discharge me after one but I really wasn't up to it, so I stayed an extra day and felt soooo much better leaving the second day. Even with that driving home an hour a day about 48 hours after surgery was not a pleasant experience. I was just uncomfortable and kinda nauseous, but it may have been because of the narcotics or the anethesia which always make me uneasy.

The worst part of the experience for me was the nausea, and the foley catheter (urinary catheter) not sure if everyone uses them but they kept mine in for 24 hours to monitor my output, and it SUCKED it was uncomfortable and just made me feel like I had to pee.

I second the bring a pillow for the ride home, actually my hubbie brought my pillow into the hospital for me and it instantly comforted me, and I fell asleep. ;)

that is another thing, I have never had a catheter, which i heard those kind of suck too. I am getting so nervous, I just fear that I might be making a mistake, my Dad keeps freaking my out saying they are taking out 3/4 of your stomach and you will never get it back, never, and what if you can't ever eat anything without throwing up.. So lets put out that question, does anyone have any feedback on vomitting after eating or drinking. Please let me know. Thanks!