Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody Used Xenical?

I got a persciption from my PCP she thought I would do well on it, along with my band. I freaked out at the cost insurance does not cover it and a months supply was well over 200 bucks! So what do I do but decide I am going to order it from a Canadian mail order company. Much better price only $97.00 so I'm a happy camper until I find out it will take 60 to 90 days to get it! Why you ask? Why? Because they get it from.....are you ready for this one???? TURKEY!:omg: I am like what the heck!!! But my credit card has long since gone thru and I figure just be patient...Turkey is not THAT far away...HA! It took 90 days I got the Xenical all the literature is in some language I cannot even begin to decode. I have purposly eaten a couple of high fat meals to test the pills.......NOTHING! I think I got Gelatin tablets and some turkish guy laughing his islamic booty off going " Stupied Fat White Devils!"{Just Kidding} Anyway I wondered if anyone out there has used it, and how did you fare?

I used it for 3 months a few years ago. It was awful!! You have to keep it refrigerated

I took it just like the doctor told me to, and within a few doses it began to do it's thing i guess. Kind of gross. When i had a bowel movement it just looked like orange oil in the toilet. I was constantly in the bathroom, scared to death to ever pass gass because the orange oil would just flow! One time i was at my MILs by myself and sitting in thier lazyboy and had gas and passed it and it leaked through my pants and all over their chair!! I was so so thankful noone was there, I cleaned it up fast and washed my clothes and left! I gave it up after 3 months and gaining 10lbs, it was super expensive, $120 mo.

Terrilen -

Your post made me laugh (you know why).

I never used Xenical because of the oily greasy loose runny poops. (laugh) Can you look on the website for a picture of the Xenical pill to make sure you got the right thing?

Meridia is what my doctor prescribed for me. It made me anxious, but when I'm banded I'm going to ask for a prescription for the first month or two until my restriction is right. Insurance doesn't cover it either - $125/month. BUT if you look at the website, they sometimes offer coupons for scripts that most insurance carriers don't cover.

HTH,

Nathalie

I used Phentermine, and I recommend it to anyone. All it does is kill your appetite. No diarrhea or anything. At the beginning, I had some weird nightmares, but I don't know if it was a side effect of the Phentermine or the Wellbutrin XL that I started at the same time.

I've tried them all.

Phentermine was good, but made me kind of shaky.

Meridia I felt no effect.

Xenical - it was ugly! Always running to the bathroom and once I had an "accident" in Barnes & Noble. Can't recommend it :)

Boy I miss phen-phen.

I have been thinking of trying phentermine...heard it is pretty good. I am majorly scared off from Xenical now after this thread! yuck!

:)

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!! YOU'RE BANDED AND YOU ARE GONING TO GET A SCRIP FOR DIET pills? ?you should let the band do its thing i would not do it. speak to your surgeon .

I was in a clinical trial for Xenical about 12 years ago. There were several stages, where they would adjust your medication. So, some people were on the meds, while others were on placebo, and it would change periodically. Of course, neither the patients nor the administrators knew who was on the medication. There were some nice benefits to being in the study besides the medication. They gave us a thorough medical work up before and after, plus nutrition and behavior modification counseling. I lost 90 lbs., to goal, while in the two-year study. But, I found out a couple years later that I had been on the placebo the whole time! I was one of the most successful patients at this study location, yet I was never on the med! I must have really skewed their results!:heh:

'Course then over the next 10 years I re-gained every pound plus more!

A friend of mine is a nurse anesthetist, and was on Xenical. All her OR buddies knew she was on it, and concerned about "leakage", so one day they put melted chocolate on her stool in the OR. Thank goodness she saw it before she sat down! :pound:

Tami

I have used phentermine, bontril, and xenical. I will tell you when I was on xenical I wore pads every day out of fear of leakage. It was pretty gross in general, but took a couple days to kick in.

Good luck!

Xenical is sooo disgusting! I had to stop taking it! Meridia did nothing for me either.

Phentermine was fantastic. It really curbed my appetite. The only trouble with Phentermine is that you build a tolerence to it. It can only be taken for a few months, then you need to stay off for a few, then back on. That was too tough for me.

Phentermine- good. But tolerance is high... so is addiction and withdrawl effects.

Xenical- unless you want orange oil leaking out of butt at all the wrong times i suggest you stay clear.

I had to pay 250.00 a month to torture myself!

I would let the band works its own magic before trying something else with it.

It can only be taken for a few months, then you need to stay off for a few, then back on.
I was on it for an entire year. The NP that ran my program had me start slow and then weaned me off of it.