Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone I am new here and I just went to see my surgeon yesterday and was all set to do the lap band but then he comes in and says he doesn't think it would be the best choice. He said the sleeve or gastric bypass is the option I should look into. I am now sooo confused can some of uou please tell me what you think of the sleeve. Thanks for your time

I originally went in thinking i wanted the lap band.. I'm very happy that I changed my mind! I think if you go to the sub forum here for band to sleeve revisions, you will see many people that wished they had the sleeve FIRST over the band.

Good luck to you :)

My personal thoughts on the band is that's its foreign body being placed in you and has a very high failure rate (at which I was very surprised to find out) and the chances of needing a second surgery to "fix" or remove the band are very high.

Laura-ven took the words right out of my mouth. When I started researching WLS I was locked in on the lap band but the more research I did the more I started questioning my choice. I talked with my doc and watched some videos that he had prepared about the lap band, sleeve, and bypass. He does all three surgeries but I decided that the sleeve was the best for me. The lap band is also really high maintenance and with the hours I work I don't have time to make a follow up appointment every six weeks for adjustments/fills. Also my insurance covers one WLS per lifetime, after the research I did and finding all the people that had revisions from band to sleeve, I decided to go with the one lots of people end up with and just bypass the band all together. Good luck with your decision. I am only three weeks out, I'm in a stall right now and have been for two week so I'm a little bummed BUT I still feel like this is one of the best decisions I've ever made for myself. I have not had any problems and would do it again tomorrow if I needed to.

Thanks! ! I have never seen a dr. So opposed to doing it but he did make it clear if I really wanted it he would do it but if I was his daughter he wouldn't allow he to get it. That is why I came here to ask.

One other thing, I felt like I had more weight that I wanted to lose than what I felt like I would be able to with the lap band. You are going to get pretty one sided opinions on the VSG website (as you should, we are the sleeve!) but you should also check the band websites and ask them too. Then make the best decision with the info you get. Good luck!

Originally I wanted the band, but did some research on the companion band site and was amazed at the many problems with it and the amount of maintenance it takes. I then decided on the sleeve and was congratulated on the change by my surgeon. I am very happy with my choice and the resultant improvements to my health and quality of life.

I am apart of the lap band forum and if you try to bring up anything other than the lap band they chew u up and spit u out. Lol. But I have done my lap band research and now the sleeve but I wanted to hear from real people and what they think so thank you for responding

I am apart of the lap band forum and if you try to bring up anything other than the lap band they chew u up and spit u out. Lol. But I have done my lap band research and now the sleeve but I wanted to hear from real people and what they think so thank you for responding

Haha. Yeah I guess it would be hard to get unbiased opinions from people that had one or the other!

Both surgeries come with risks, so it really is a personal decision.

I just did a lot of reading about both procedures on the forums but also on non forum websites to gather information.

I too went in thinking that I was definitely going with the lap band. My insurance originally denied me and it took me a full year of fighting with them to finally get approved. In that years time frame, I was able to do a lot more research on both and my surgeon also highly recommended the sleeve over the band. I was sleeved 2 weeks ago and really feel thankful that my insurance denied me at first because after doing my research I was convinced that the sleeve was the way to go and I'm very happy with my decision. Good luck to you.

When a doctor is discouraging you from a lapband.. This should be a your red flag. I too, was very defensive about my lapband, but only because I was skinny ( but unhealthy as hell) and that was all I was wanting. I could sell you on a lapband in a second. I sold it to myself twice and fought like a pit bull when they said they were removing it to save my life.. I fought until I did die. (read my profile story) Don't be as stupid as me.. If I knew about the sleeve I wouldn't have wasted $100,000 on band and complications.

Your doctor is probably very aware of the lapband failure and vast complication rate..

i just read it and I give you a lot of credit for having the courage to even go back for another surgery! I don't think I would have had the courage to do that after all you went through..Glad you are doing well now..