Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you avoid wasting?

Obviously we can not eat as much as presleeve. That's the point. But how do I avoid wasting food? ? I'm on full liquids now, made cream of wheat for Breakfast took 5 bites was full and the rest went in the trash. I feel like I could eat on 1 package for a week. I'm eating my mid-day snack right now (Greek light and fit yogurt) and I'm barely 1/4 thru and can feel the full sensation happening. I don't want to just throw it away. I feel like I'm wasting money. How can I save these things?? Or with the cream of wheat, how do I determine how much to make so that I'm not making the entire package???

Sleeve Date: March 28, 2013 Weight on surgery date: 281 First Goal 50lbs: July 13, 2013 (231)

If I can't finish I put in fridge when make oats etc only make half package and the rest the next day however I have no issue eating a whole yogurt, pudding etc so lucky you... I'm 3 1/2 weeks out and eat 1/2 easy on most things wish I felt full fast.

1/2 cup*

If I can't finish I put in fridge when make oats etc only make half package and the rest the next day however I have no issue eating a whole yogurt' date=' pudding etc so lucky you... I'm 3 1/2 weeks out and eat 1/2 easy on most things wish I felt full fast.[/quote']

Well today is my first real day on full liquids. I had no problem finishing a whole Jello but this yogurt is getting the best of me. I feel like I'm forcing myself to continue to nibble on it just so I can get my Protein in. Ugh...

I think I'm going to buy those teeny tiny plastic containers and separate stuff. I think I will feel less obligated to eat it if it's not there to eat.

Sleeve Date: March 28, 2013 Weight on surgery date: 281 First Goal 50lbs: July 13, 2013 (231)

I bought a bunch of those small ziplock storage containers. It really helps.. I did toss the remaining cream of wheat though.. It just doesn't do well in the fridge for me. Turns into a solid brick.

Soups though.. It takes me like 4-6 "meals" to finish off a can.

I don't like wasting money...but the fear of wasting food helped me become obese in the first place. Many is the time I ate something just because I couldn't tolerate letting it go to waste. I had to let go of that mindset. My point is, if you do happen to make more than you need, and you just can't save it for later...don't feel bad about tossing it. That's better than packing it onto your body fat stores like I did all those years before getting sleeved.

So yes, you need lots of little bowls. Everytime I open something, I pull my out serving then put the rest in serviing size bowls and throw it in the freezer.. Really helps cause you always have something to eat in the freezer.. The things in the packages like cream of wheat and oatmeal, I would only do 1/3 to 1/2 of the package at one time. Would just fold over the top and put a paper clip or something like that on it until I was ready to eat it again. This is all actually a good thing. Your gorcery bill will eventually be smaller. I am 6 months out and still eat off my daughters plate when we go out..

Have a son... Who eats anything and everything! :D

Ha ha ha. I have one of those!! He's 6 and already eats us out of house and home. Looks like he may be getting a few extra healthy Snacks thrown his way.

i weigh and measure things to start with, and any extra goes into individual containers. I also buy smaller quantities, and I find I buy a much smaller variety of things, too. It does make staying on plan easier, and it decreases the grocery bill, as well. As far as the yogurt goes, that's the one thing I buy larger. I buy the Fage 0% by the quart, then I can measure out less. I still hate to waste food...but I really think I waste less now than I did before because of the way my habits have changed. I used to buy anything and everything that looked good to me, which was way more than we could eat. No one in my house has suffered or even complained because these changes.

I've got 2 dogs who love leftovers. In my old life, they never got any. Now there's plenty.

I am trying to change the way I think about "wasting" and being bother by throwing food away. As most of you said, I too hate wasting food. However, I was just "wasting" it on my hips rather than the trash can. I didn't need or use the extra food and was just storing it anyway. Trying to change that thought process and let the garbage man store it for me ;)

I have such a mental issue with throwing away food, in particular meat. We've had a hard time adjusting to cooking the right size portions for our family, and have thrown away more since January than probably all of last year combined.

When you're able to do oatmeal Quaker has the "perfect serving" where you can measure your servings.