Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extremely Nervous

Hi Everyone! I just registered for this site after doing some researching about the sleeve.

If you would have asked me 10 years ago, when many of my friends began their journeys with WLS, if I would pursue it, I would have said absolutely not but now my mind has decided otherwise. In July 2012, I went for my first consult, thinking that I would proceed with the bypass, after totally ruling out the band. However, in the last month or so, I have stronger feelings towards going with the sleeve.

I just completed all of my testing and am in the process of scheduling my second consultation to discuss surgery choice.

So far, here is my information:

I am a 41 year old female. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. My highest weight was 335, lowest weight was 260 and currently am 296.

My consult was with NY Bariatric Group and my surgeon is Dr. Spencer Hollover. The hospital of choice is Mercy Medical Center.

I need your help!!! Please provide your honest feedback, both positive and negative, regarding your own journey with the sleeve.

I would appreciate your responses and your support...

Thank you so very much!!!

I am right there w/you I would never have thought I would do WLS but after hitting my last straw I did it, I had mine on 12/27/12 and wish I had done it sooner, I am down 57lbs already and feeling so good about it, the only thing I could say neg is not being able to get my Water in I was use to drinking 100-150oz of water a day and now I am lucky to get 40oz in, at first the protien was hard also but that has gotten so much better in the last 2 weeks, I would not have changed my choice to do the surgery I cant wait to hit goal and to beable to stay there,

That is awesome! Thank you for the feedback!

Hi Everyone! I just registered for this site after doing some researching about the sleeve.

If you would have asked me 10 years ago' date=' when many of my friends began their journeys with WLS, if I would pursue it, I would have said absolutely not but now my mind has decided otherwise. In July 2012, I went for my first consult, thinking that I would proceed with the bypass, after totally ruling out the band. However, in the last month or so, I have stronger feelings towards going with the sleeve.

I just completed all of my testing and am in the process of scheduling my second consultation to discuss surgery choice.

So far, here is my information:

I am a 41 year old female. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. My highest weight was 335, lowest weight was 260 and currently am 296.

My consult was with NY Bariatric Group and my surgeon is Dr. Spencer Hollover. The hospital of choice is Mercy Medical Center.

I need your help!!! Please provide your honest feedback, both positive and negative, regarding your own journey with the sleeve.

I would appreciate your responses and your support...

Thank you so very much!!![/quote']

I know exactly how you feel. For yrs I thought that I could do this without surgery but 10 yrs & 100 lbs later...def realize that I need this. I also ruled out band and was opting for gastric but my surgeon actually gave me info on sleeve andnow having researched it-- this is now what I know is best for me.

Like you I have struggled with weight most of my life. 38 yrs old (almost 39), 5'3 & 295 lbs-- BMI 50.5. Wow, i think thats the first time I've actually been comfortable sharing that info.

Anxiously hoping for a May surgery date!!

Best of luck!

I we sleeved on 2/913 after fighting with Aetna for 1.5 years. I too wish I had done this earlier after losing large amounts of weight and gaining ll back plus more. I was initially going to get the band, but knew three people who had multiple issues with it. I wanted a more set it and forget it procedure where I did not have to go in for endless fills. My neighbor lost 100 lbs over the course of 2 years but had Fluid taken out for his wedding last year and did not go back for fills. He now has to lose 75lbs, and he also has had numerous port infections and replacements. This forum and my wife helped to make the decision to get the sleeve. I am now 35lbs lighter and looking forward to more loss of weight and the new me.

I am still preop but I went back and forth for 2 years! At first I was going to get the bypass, but it made me feel extremely scared to have my insides re-arranged per say. I immediately went with the sleeve after looking more into it. Also, I like the sleeve bc I would lose weight a bit slower than the bypass. With slower weight loss you can control the amount of extra skin by working out in different areas. All I can say is do your research. Even look at the bad things that can happen so you are 100% fully prepared. You will be nervous, you will have doubts, I think I have them every other week!! Just keep in mind the end goal, happy, healthy, and able to live a normal life.

I was the same as u. Was going to have the bypass two years ago. Went the day of surgery had my gown and little cap on. But when the doc came in he wouldn't do the surgery because I had bronchitis. I have asthma And he was afraid to so the surgery. I reschedule for two weeks later. But I got scared and didn't do it. I was so mad the day of surgery because I was ready and was wanting to get it some. Now two years later and five weeks out of having my sleeve I'm glad I didn't have the bypass. The bypass you have to always take Vitamins and certain medicines your not suppose to ever take again. And the re routing of your unaided. The sleeve no re routing. And after 6 weeks u can take all medicines. And vitamins only for a year. I have lost 30 pounds on five weeks. I'm very glad to have had bronchitis two years ago and to have my sleeve. It's a scary thing surgery is. But not being able to enjoy Life the way we should is also scary. Good luck to you. Only regret I have is not having the sleeve earlier.

The re routing of your insides. Messed up in other post . Sorry.????

This is my first post, and I am like the rest of you, lol. I went to the meeting 2 years ago thinking I was doing the band, then chickened out, thought I could do it on my own, went back and forth on the South Beach Diet, then now here I am, 15 lbs heavier. I really am glad that I didn't go through with it with the band. The same sugeon did the initial talk both times, and the one I went to recenly, he was MUCH less favorable about the band. The talk two years ago, he was doing almost all bypass and sleeve was just kind of a "throw in" in his talk... this time he said the sleeve and the bypass operations he performed was about 50/50. A big change, which encouraged me that my decision on the sleeve was the right choice.

I still worry about the long term safetey for which the sleeve doesn't really have much data, and I'm scared to death about the regain issue after 2 years. I have made changes in my diet based on the South Beach so I think I am capable of the long term dietary changes that will keep the regain off, but it really scares me.

I'm like you. I started research many years ago. I also went for my first consult in July 2012. I am currently 9 days post op. I am having problems getting in fluids and am tired of the same foods right now but I know it will be better. I don't regret it at all. I've lost 20 pounds in a week. I was scared of the bypass because they would mess with my intestines and I wanted the least amount of complications possible. Good luck to you on your journey.

I was sleeved 23 days ago. I am 40 yrs old. HW 338. SW 300. Today 276. I've lost 24 lbs in 23 days. I feel wonderful. Best decision I've ever made in my life. I was a little nauseated the first 2 days after surgery but I was never in enough pain to take pain meds. After day 3 I was fine. I returned to work on day 7. I've had no problems at all with the exception of eating eggs. I can't do it. But no big deal.

Thank you all for your honesty, support and encouragement. I am so humbled by everyone who took their time to share with me. I am so elated that I came across this website, registered and am now a member to encounter wonderful people as yourselves!

I to, struggled with my weight all my life, the last 5 years have been unbearable. I gave up on living a normal life. I would go to work and then home, no outside activities I was just not up to it. I would sweat at the drop of a hat, and walking any distance at all winded me. When I starting having someone come to stores with me and waiting for me at the front of the store with car so I can run in and get what I needed, I knew I had to make a change. August 2012, I was recommend to my surgeon from a Dr friend of mine and went in for a consultant for the lap band. Two hours later the decision was I was getting sleeved, and I never looked back or questioned my decision. I am 11 weeks post op and have lost 45 pounds. this loss is all after surgery as my surgeon did not require any pre op diet. I feel fantastic. I am walking daily without being winded, and I have stopped sweating so frequently. I am off my Water pill (retained water prior to surgery) and all my blood work is perfect. And my energy level is thru the roof. I am out and about daily. I eat almost everything I want, I have chosen to cut out most carbs, just to help me with the weight loss, as carbs were never my friend. I go out to eat often, and make the right choices, fish, chicken, veggies, Soups (not cream soups). I am so glad I made this decision and wound not change it for the world. I also have not had one complication from the surgery, it all ran very smoothly. I was 265 day of surgery with a bmi of 44.. It is wonderful feeling.. I recommend to anyone who has the struggle I did.. You are def going in the right direction. Good Luck!

Thanks!!

I needed to read a post like this tonight. Congrats on your current and continued success!!!

Enjoy life!!