Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not having surgery until July. However, I have a question about Migraines. Was anyone that has had the sleeve surgery a Migraine sufferer? How did the pre-op and post-op dieting affect your migraines? My migraines are fairly severe and can lead to hours of vomiting and dehydration. I'm worried the drastic change in quantity/way of eating will cause migraines and I don't want to be throwing up from a migraine after surgery.

Thanks!

Hi! I have always been a chronic migrainer... I had my surgery just over a week ago and was also worried because I suffered the same symptoms that you do. Prior to surgery I was taking Propranolol everyday to help prevent my Migraines (this medication also treats HBP)... Upon discharge from the hospital my doctor said that I could continue to take the Propranolol or stop if I wanted to. On a whim I decided to stop it... Have not had a Migraine since and my blood pressure as been normal. I know that everyone is different when it comes to migraines but for me I just chose to stop it and see if my migraines would improve now that I am not consuming processed junk. I was so worried that being dehydrated would trigger a migraine or that the lack of food would. I can honestly say that I have not experienced even a slight headache, however, the first couple of days after surgery sucked but that was do to nausea and gas and head hunger. I don't know if you take a maintenance medication for your migraines but if you do I don't recommend stopping without talking to your doctor first. Mine gave me the go ahead and it is so nice not to have to remember to take a pill everyday. Good luck to you! :)

Oh... I forgot to mention that I have been home recovering and taking easy so I haven't been going about my regular activities. I go back to school on Tuesday and am a little nervous if the stress of sitting in a 150+ student lecture hall for 10 hours a day and the stress of homework, tests, and mental exhaustion will bring on a migraine... But my fingers are crossed that it won't, that will be the real test to see if I am cured!

I hope I'm that lucky. I've tried all the prevention meds but don't take any currently. My blood pressure runs about 110/65 so the bp meds always made me feel like I was passing out. I tried some of the antidepressant meds and would sleep for days. I took topamax for a long time but it makes you feel stupid.

I'm really scared about the pre-op diet. However, if losing the weight even makes the Migraines less severe it will be worth it!!! I'm pretty sure phenergan and imitrex weren't mean for long term, very regular use. Lol.

I hope yours stay gone. That would be such a blessing for you!!!

Oh gosh, I hear you... It was very hard for me to find a med that worked! I am very shocked that I haven't had a Migraine (they used to be every other day for me). What pre-op diet will you be on? I was on a two week prep that consisted of a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch and a small meal (meat, veggie/ fruit, and a starch) for dinner. I didn't experience and problems with that with the exception of wanting to snack. I am sure everyone has told you to keep up on your fluids after surgery... It is hard but I will tell you the same thing because it helps, especially for us lucky people who were blessed with migraines! ;/

Here is my preop for one week.

• All kinds of liquids

Water, tea, lemon Water (take at least 3.5 liters a day)

fruit juice drinks, natural fruit beverages, chicken stock, yogurt, Jello (gelatine desserts).

• Same liquids plus one Protein shake per day.

Ok well that is awesome that you only have to do it for one week! Soups like Tomato, and cream of chicken/ mushroom will be your best friend when you get sick of the broth... They really help me now when I get sick of Protein Shakes and broth! So you don't get bored... Try adding frozen berries to your Protein shakes pre-op. I buy no sugar added bags of strawberries, peaches, and mixed berry at Walmart and it helps with the boring and at times yucky taste of the shakes! I love adding lemon juice to my Water because I find that the crystal light is wayyyyyy sweet after surgery. I also bought every variety of Jello and pudding under the sun because I didn't want to get sick of one flavor, so I rotate. I don't know what your post-op diet will be but much of what I mentioned above I am also doing for my liquid stage which ends in about a week.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know it won't be impossible.

I get massive Migraines, too. Mine are pinpointed to 4 things: hormonal right before TOM, stress, when I don't eat, and when I eliminate caffeine intake. I stopped caffeine a week before the preop diet so I didn't have to deal with it all at the same time. I'm not going to lie, the single worst Migraine of my life lasted the third & fourth day of my preop diet. It was a triple doozy because of PMS, the lack of food, and a stressful event at home.

Do you know your triggers? Are you on magnesium pills? My only advice would be to eliminate any known triggers before the preop diet so you don't get hit all at once. Migraines suck and I wish there was a sure-fire cure for all. But, it seems everyone has different things that help. Good luck!!

~Jenn

I too suffer from Migraines but they have improved significantly since my surgery. It makes me think that all the crap I was eating before was contributing to them. Now I pretty much just have them around that time of the month.

Hi!

I am/was a Migraine sufferer too.

I am 2 1/2 years post op now and my Migraines have substantially reduced. Before I would get them regularly, not any more- now they are connected directly to my hormones whereas before there were a lot of triggers; foods, lack of sleep, lack of Fluid, stress etc.

I was amazed how, by eating a good quality diet can dramatically change my migraines.

Good morning.. I had severe Migraines prior tot he surgery I was experiencing them as much as 5 days a week. I too had more when I was dieting. I have NOT had a single Migraine since my surgery which was 12/28/11. I attribute that to the diet food world. I no longer eat lein cuisine, smart ones , progressive Soups etc which contain a lot of preservatives. I have had a headache a couple times, which I blame on barometric pressure and impending storm, but were resolved with one OTC medication. I have other issues like high blood pressure which have been resolved by the surgery and could have attributed to the migraines. Overall, I am so much healthier I know of another sleever here who is now migraine free. I wish you the best of luck.

Wow. It is so great to hear from so many people that found relief from their Migraines after this surgery. I can't wait even more now! I talked to the dr yesterday and he said the pre-op week and first 6 weeks after surgery would be the worst.

Magnesium pills? Do they help?

Thank you girls for all of your help and advice!!!

I am a chronic Migraine sufferer. I had my surgery on 2/12 and I have had 5 Migraines since the surgery. The mess I take are small pills so I can still take them. I know my triggers to my migraines and I think both hormones and stress caused them (plus the drastic drop in calories). Wish I could say that the surgery helped the migraines but they didn't (and honestly I didn't expect it to).