Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise questions

Aaron, I think the best thing you can do to reduce the chance of saggy skin is keep up with your Protein and hydration requirements, and do plenty of strength training. I think the more muscle mass you can keep and develop, the better you will be able to fill out your skin.

Any evidence to suggest that skin can be made to shrink farther than it wants to naturally is purely anecdotal. It possibly will snap back some, depending on many variables like your age, how long you've been obese, genetics...no one knows for sure.

But yes, start pumping that Iron Aaron. I believe that's the best thing you can do. Not to mention it has many other health benefits. Maintaining that muscle will help keep your metabolism higher, which will help you burn more fat (which is obviously everybody's goal).

bodybuilding.com tons of info... learn to use their search feature.

bodybuilding.com tons of info... learn to use their search feature.

as long as you stay off the forums, it's a decent site at best, but be careful with the information. I've seen articles posted by 15 year old scrawny kids giving flat out stupid advice.

Like butterbean said, there's no spot reduction or removal of saggy skin in the form of exercise, etc. Staying hydrated and building up the muscle in the particular area will help with the looseness. It's tough at first, the rapid weight loss there will be some loose skin, give it time to rebound though. You look young, so age is on your side.

as long as you stay off the forums, it's a decent site at best, but be careful with the information. I've seen articles posted by 15 year old scrawny kids giving flat out stupid advice.

Bad advise is found of every single forum on the internet... even this one. The knowledge is there... just have to weed through the BS.

Bad advise is found of every single forum on the internet... even this one. The knowledge is there... just have to weed through the BS.

I tend to stay off sites with no moderation and kids giving advice who haven't put in the time learning what's best when it comes to overall kinetics. the site itself, as I said, was fine, most people who publish are at least entry level trainers with experience. But the forums is a completely different story.

intensemuscle.com and wannabebigforums.com are two sites that have practicing high level trainers, and active pro's in their respective sports. intensemuscle.com caters to bodybuilding and powerlifting moreso and is a no bs site.

I tend to stay off sites with no moderation and kids giving advice who haven't put in the time learning what's best when it comes to overall kinetics. the site itself, as I said, was fine, most people who publish are at least entry level trainers with experience. But the forums is a completely different story.

intensemuscle.com and wannabebigforums.com are two sites that have practicing high level trainers, and active pro's in their respective sports. intensemuscle.com caters to bodybuilding and powerlifting moreso and is a no bs site.

Thanks for the link... will definitely check them out. I enjoy the BB.com forums mainly for its humor and the stickys of each forum. Its definitely filled with a bunch of broscience but some of the comments make me LOL. Something to pass the time and learn a little, sometimes. I am actually following a program off the site. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer-week-1-main.html I am not following the diet portion and actually do cardio after every workout.

Anyone have a workout plan for reducing the chance of saggy skin or websites they use ?

Lift weights, lift weights, and then.........lift weights. :) I think youth and staying hydrated helps too.

If you think the forum on BB.com is bad, don't read the forum on Myfitnesspal. Holy Christ. According to them, anyone who eats less than 1200 calories a day will be dead in a week.

Oh I know, I posted there a few times, and...gave up quickly. Some of the folks on there are really bad.

Men's Fitness might be a good resource for you. In fact, I am thinking of subscribing to the magazine myself.

I have jsut been cleared to begin lifting. I have not lifted since highschool, but i have worked construction most of my life and am not and never have been a very weak guy. Any advice on a routine I should start with? I am looking through these websites you guys mentioned but hearing it first hand from someone in the same boat as me would be very informative. Thanks!

I have jsut been cleared to begin lifting. I have not lifted since highschool, but i have worked construction most of my life and am not and never have been a very weak guy. Any advice on a routine I should start with? I am looking through these websites you guys mentioned but hearing it first hand from someone in the same boat as me would be very informative. Thanks!

Bacon, I'm guessing if you've worked construction, you already have some good functional strength and muscle. So you'll already have a good base and a head start when getting back to the gym. It's hard to tell you where to start since a lot of it depends on your goals, which is the first thing you want to do if you haven't already. What are your goals as far as lifting, strength and muscle?

Hey thanks for replying Aroundhky. My gym goals are to really add as much strength and size as I possibly can. I realize that by eating 1200 calories a day I will never look like arnold but my whole life I have been a big guy so the idea of becoming rail thin really worries me personally. Currently I stand 6'6 and i weigh 400 even down from my surgery weight of 450 on 2/5. I am trying to research a routine I can follow as i dont want to jsut walk in to the gym and freestyle which exercises to do. Thanks in advance I have read most of your and other guys posts on here and would appreciate any insight you may have.

Bacon.....

I understand you completely on the fear of being thin and what scares me...."flabby skinny" or "skinny fat". :mellow: Of course easing into it is probably the first thing to keep in mind when you get back into the gym. Go light, I mean extremely light, in order for you to get the proper form and technique down. An injury right from the get go will undermine your goals and kill morale. You have a really big frame, so it's a little more tricky for tall people to have the proper form. So be patient and gradually add weight as your technique improves and you will slowly build strength/muscle. Emphasis on "slowly". With a limited nutrition source for our muscles, it will be a slow process, but it will eventually happen. I think it's a good idea that you are wanting a routine, or plan as I call it. Having a plan and getting to the gym for me is 3/4 the battle. When you're there, maybe start with compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, military presses, pullups and dips. Some people do bench press as well, but I rarely do these and I had bad form back in the day and my shoulders are a little screwed up. Also, I'm not sure how much of a functional lift that is, and my goals are to be functionally strong, not just for aesthetics......which is fine too, just not my primary goal. But it's all about your goals and particulars as far as your muscle/strength.

Don't forget the importance of proper nutrition as well, or eating to feed your muscles. Plenty of Protein and well-timed complex carbs such as oats, broccoli, quinoa, carrots and maybe even a little sweet potatoes or brown rice.

No problem and keep us posted on your progress!