Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh no... Getting Sleeved while on my period

I have just figured out that my period will be starting a day before my surgery...

I am a bit wigged out about this. The hygenic issues of course... worried about having catheter down there.

The cramps I get are pretty bad, especially day 1 and 2, I have long heavy flows. How will I clean myself, even handle things like tampons or pads if i'm layed up in bed barely able to move with wires and drains and such?

I'm pretty freaked out here.

Any advice?

Mine started day of surgery. They will give you these net panties, and nice big thick pads that they use in the maternity ward. The nurses are very used to it and they will help you. You'll be able to go to bathroom and keep yourself clean. As for cramps you might not feel much cause of the pain meds Good luck:) you'll be fine its really no big deal to them..

I wish I could give you advice. Mine was supposed to start, but all I ended up doing was spotting. I think I was more concerned about the fact that when I woke up from surgery, I had to use the bathroom so badly and when I asked, they seemed to be taking their sweet time, so I had to ask for a bed pan. I kind of felt sick when someone wiped me after I went. What was worse, for me, was the fact that they had to measure my urine output each time I went to the bathroom. I was totally embarrassed by that, but kept telling myself that these are medical professionals and it's their job and they have probably had to deal with something worse than my business. LOL

Mine started day of surgery. They will give you these net panties, and nice big thick pads that they use in the maternity ward. The nurses are very used to it and they will help you. You'll be able to go to bathroom and keep yourself clean. As for cramps you might not feel much cause of the pain meds Good luck:) you'll be fine its really no big deal to them..

That's good to know, thank you for the details!

mine started the night before. Dont worry just let them know they gave me a pad and net panties. Everything was fine =)

I have just figured out that my period will be starting a day before my surgery...

I am a bit wigged out about this. The hygenic issues of course... worried about having catheter down there.

The cramps I get are pretty bad' date=' especially day 1 and 2, I have long heavy flows. How will I clean myself, even handle things like tampons or pads if i'm layed up in bed barely able to move with wires and drains and such?

Any advice?[/quote']

Call your gynecologist office. Some time they could give you a shot so you would miss for the months. I get pill to het my and it was going to be the same problem so I didn't take them. But call your gyn and ask. Becuase I know they have the shot for that.

That Sucks!!!! As for the pain from cramps...you will be nicely dosed with morphine (at least I was) and then you get liquid vicodin. As for the sanitary reasons...I wouldn't worry about that...I mean these people are supposed to be medical professionals I think they have seen it all...and something like menstruation is probably easily handled for them.

But that still Sucks! I'm sorry it worked out that way.

It is so much more uncomfortable for you than it is the staff! ;-) Menstruation is definitely one of the easier things to handle!

The cramps I get are pretty bad' date=' especially day 1 and 2, I have long heavy flows. How will I clean myself, even handle things like tampons or pads if i'm layed up in bed barely able to move with wires and drains and such?

Any advice?[/quote']

If you are on the pill just keep taking the active tablets and you will miss your period this month. It's fine to do that now and then.

If you are on the pill just keep taking the active tablets and you will miss your period this month. It's fine to do that now and then.

Depending on your surgeon, you may not have this option. So require you to stop birth control (mine did)

Take someone like a mom, sister, or best friend who would be willing to wipe you. I had my period and my step mom wiped me once and the nurses did too but they were shy about it vs my step mom who got me super dry. By day 2/3, I was wiping okayish. It's day 1/2 that you can't bend too much

The cramps I get are pretty bad, especially day 1 and 2, I have long heavy flows. How will I clean myself, even handle things like tampons or pads if i'm layed up in bed barely able to move with wires and drains and such?

Any advice?

First take a deep breath! I had my period when I was sleeved...and it was the "heavy" part. They give you this mesh underwear that a GIANT pad will stick to...you're asleep when they put in the catheter and asleep when they take it out so you won't notice it at all. Just remember, they are used to all scenarios. There will be nurses to help you, etc.

Hang in there!

First take a deep breath! I had my period when I was sleeved...and it was the "heavy" part. They give you this mesh underwear that a GIANT pad will stick to...you're asleep when they put in the catheter and asleep when they take it out so you won't notice it at all. Just remember, they are used to all scenarios. There will be nurses to help you, etc.

Hang in there!

Such a relief, thank you for the reassurances. I was worried I'd be layed up in the hospital bed directing my husband how to use a tampon applicator... or some similarly horrible experience.

yeesh!

I started mine a day before surgery . I told the nurse I had a tampon . Everything went ok . That's the least to worry they use to that lol !

Stacie

my started the dayafter surgery and the nurse noticed as she was pulling out catheter. i had a hard time post op with dizziness and pain....my husband assisted me....

Oh man, I got mine 4 days early, the MORNING OF SURGERY. Lucky me, I think the stress brought it on. It was no big deal and I have a pretty heavy flow too. I put in a new tampon right before surgery, although some places will just want a pad underneath. I told the surgical nurse (the one starting your IVs and things) and it was no big deal. It took me all the way through surgery and a few hours after until I was feeling like getting up and using the bathroom.

Cleaning up and changing was no big deal, it took me about 5 times as long because I was moving slow but it was fine. It's a minor thing, and they deal with this all the time. If you are worried about the flow being too heavy ask the nurse for a chucks pad to be placed on your bed post up. No big deal. Those get tossed in the garbage and thats the end of it.