Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having a consult with Dr. Borland on February 25 (2013) and hoping to schedule it for March 22 (2013) while I am on Easter break from teaching. I have a few questions:

1. Someone said he was not very strict with time frames and food choices...does he give an outline of suggested time frames and food choices for those of us who need them?
  2. I will have 12 days to recover before returning to teaching 7th grade English...do you think this enough time to return to work with minimal pain?
  3. Do any of you have small children and a husband you have to cook for on a daily basis? If so are you tempted to taste test, nibble, or try the food you are cooking? (I am the person who cooks in the house and I know that won't change after this surgery...I know I never want to be like I am now...and will make it a point to tell myself NO...but I was just wondering how anyone else dealt with that issue.)
  4. Is anyone from the Lafayette area who has had surgery with him who would be willing to be my "buddy" after surgery if I need motivation, support, or just advice?
  5. Is there a support group after the procedure that I can join in the area of Lafayette that anyone knows of?

I think that's it...for now haha!!

Thanks for any and all information!!!

oh and does he send you to the hotel with drains?? and does he take them out before you go home from the hotel??

you dont have a drain at all.he goes to the motel and checks on you.3rd day before noon you page him if your ok ,you go home. hes not strict as in you go Clear Liquids the day before surgery only,ist week clear liquids, 2nd-full liquids,3rd-puree,4th-solid. i was sleeved dec.10th. i go tomorrow for my 3rd followup and am hitting 45 pds in 2 months and 1 week .loved him .if you have questions call me 337-884-9726 gabby look on his site www.thomasborlandmd.webs.com/ and look at my photos.on guestbook gabbygul

Gabby,

Thanks so much!!! I am scared of the drains...they just look so gross...I don't do blood and guts very well haha. Are you from the area? How much do you work out and what's your routine? AMAZING JOB ON THE 45 POUNDS!!!!! I am checking out your page after I press post!

Bonnie

i just walk ,but i was glad there wasnt drains .i am from Iowa ,exit 43 off i-10. i took 2 weeks off work i stand 9 hrs a day at the exxon truck stop in iowa.i love these sites this and obesityhelp.com.hes leniant ,but good. you wont be tasting the food you cook ,you are liquids for 2 or more weeks.my boss/friend had it done in lake charles end of july she down 107 pds ,another friend in lafayette general did 125 pds,not sure how long.just to let you know i had my blood work done and ekg have blue cross they wouldnt cover cause for obesity surgery wasnt very costly ,i paid 200 consultation out my pocket and only had to borrow 9600.00 wow my 1st payment was 16pds ,2nd was 27pds,3rds gonna look like 45 pds never enjoyed making payments on something like that.

Are you tempted to taste the food you cook for others though? I know the mind is willing but the flesh is still week!

its real hard to nibble, you can tast a little bite, you are supposedly not allowed carbonated drinks, alcohol,and rice bread or Pasta for a year.you do not drink with your meal girl that was the hardest for me ,you drink15 min before ,and not till 30-45min after .woooo at first youll be gatorade ,water ,jello,sf puddings and Soup broth, and then protien drinks .if i can paint you alittle picture im 2 months out and still can only eat 4 -5 bites .i went to mexican rest.last night chips go down easy,dip, i got nachos only 4 bites.you have to figure eat off their plates or bring home .i also had a little margarita didnt hurt.i myself have a hard time with chicken going down.buy you a tiny measuring cup,thats what your gonna drink out of ,a small strainer to strain soup cause i hate broth it sucked,and some small glad or whatever those little small cups are to put what you cant eat,youll have all kinds in fridge.get a gummmy Vitamin ,im taking flinstone completes

Thanks so much again for the information I am reading and taking it all in and saving it!! I am a teacher so my kids are going to laugh when I pull out a little medicine cup to drink out of hahaha I am not telling anyone at work that I am having the surgery it should be interesting to say the least!!!

its so funny to get a small cup of Water or tea and not a big one .you are gonna have ice chips fromsonic the night after surgery.girl my husband had to eat in the motel,and the smell of mcdonalds fries made me feel nautious how weird ,yea i still cook for him ,and dowhat i have to for me .after tonite if you have ant=y questins text me or ill look on here .on my way to see him tomorrow a t 3:15 i drive 1hr 45 min and he sees me for 10-15 minutes.talk to you later Gabby

how did your visit go with dr borland?! I just found out that a dr my mom works with offered to assist dr borland during my surgery...he is a good friend of ours...so now i am super relaxed and excited!!!!

It was awesome I have reached 48 pds since Dec 10 now I don't go back till 2 months in April .I told him I talked to a lady coming r the end of the month.he said great I'm so excited for you girl!!!!!

Geez 48 pounds in 2 months...that's awesome congrats!!!!! I looked at your pictures the other night and I showed my husband I was like look how her shirt fits different...he said oh wow just in two months?!?! He told me today "don't take this the wrong way...but i have been trying all day to imagine what you look like thinner and I can't" haha!!! I can't wait...how long did you have to wait between consult and surgery date? I hear with him it's like two weeks usually.

Oh wow you must have one hell of a son in law!!!!!!

I have too pick yup my grandbaby at daycare each day for a week then he has off the next week