Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't stop cheating on my pre-opt diet. :(

I'm on my 3rd week of my pre-opt diet and I can't stop cheating. The first week was a breeze the 2nd week was a little harder and I cheated a few times. This week I haven't been able to go a day without cheating. I lost 16lbs in the first 2 weeks but that doesn't seem to motivate me. My surgery is on Tues. the 19th so I know I need to stop eating. I'm suppose to only be having skim milk 3 times a day. The only thing I think might be the cause of hunger is that I started my period today, or maybe that's just an excuse. What do you all do to stay on track?

It is hard to fight those psychological demons, no doubt about that. I got through those times in my pre-op diet when challenge presented itself by reminding myself why I was on the liquid diet in the first place: to help decrease the chance of my liver breaking while being moved during the surgery. I simply did not want that complication to happen. I also reminded myself I was going through this to get to the surgery that I really wanted so I could start my life over again. Which did I want more, something to eat or did I want a new life?

NOTHING tastes as good as becoming thin and fit and strong and sexy. That is what I told myself to get through those pre-op weeks. It was hard for sure. Do you have access to support groups and a behavior therapist? Don't underestimate how much that can help you work through the toughest part of your journey. Your liver needs to shrink before surgery. Is your surgery laparoscopic? A shrunken liver can prevent surgery from becoming an open operation. It is easier for your surgeon if he can get around your liver easier. It can reduce the risks of complications. Improved blood sugars and blood pressures and decreased Water retention are all important before major surgery. You are hungry. But...you are almost there. Stay strong - you really can do it. Look how well you did in week one. Pretty soon you will enjoy the benefits of your hard work.

Honestly for me I had to talk myself out of cheating... before you pick up anything besides the skim milk think to yourself... how far you've come.. the sacrifices you've made, how soon the surgery is... for me I love mozzarella sticks and they have them at my job when I thought about eating one I said to myself "Now why do you need this food item? Its not like you've never had it before and don't know how it tastes? Its not like you can't have a bite of it in the future? Do I REALLY need to have it?" Those thought steered me away from making bad choices.

I'm on my 3rd week of my pre-opt diet and I can't stop cheating. The first week was a breeze the 2nd week was a little harder and I cheated a few times. This week I haven't been able to go a day without cheating. I lost 16lbs in the first 2 weeks but that doesn't seem to motivate me. My surgery is on Tues. the 19th so I know I need to stop eating. I'm suppose to only be having skim milk 3 times a day. The only thing I think might be the cause of hunger is that I started my period today' date=' or maybe that's just an excuse. What do you all do to stay on track?[/quote']

Amie my date is Tuesday to and I feel your sin I too have cheated along the way but the nest four days u have to be good! I don't want to have to deal with the whole cracked liver things o jut liquid from here on out! If u need some to talk to u can count on me!

Amie my date is Tuesday as well and I feel your pain i too have cheated along the way but the next four days u have to be good! I don't want to have to deal with the whole cracked liver thing it just dosnt sound too fun to me ! so just liquid from here on out! If u need some to talk to u can count on me!

Wow Amie

I know what you mean. I haven't gotten a surgery date yet but I been attempting a mock pre op diet to see if I can do it and let me tell you I have already cheated and it is only day 1! I believe that doing the pre op diet involves mental control because we want to eat even when were not hungry, well at least I do. I consider myself a food addict and this is going to be a big struggle for me but I am determined to get healthy. I wish you luck on the rest of your pre op diet I wish I had some tip that would help but what I discovered while doing this mock pre op diet is that I think its going to involve doing mental assessments with ourselves to help stay on track when we feel we want to eat something else .

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. I didn't pretty good the last few days. Slipped up a little on Sunday but only because it was my wedding day. Tomorrow is the big day. I have to be up at 4am and checked in at 5:30. Wish me luck.

I cheated every day on my 2 week pre-op diet. I wasn't cheating in the sense that I sneak a small bite here and there. I was cheating in the sense that I would have a big steak dinner with all the fixings. I did not lose any weight on my pre-op diet. Every doctor is different and there are some that don't even require a pre-op diet.

I am not trying to justify cheating on your pre-op diet but I am saying that its not as black and white as most make it seem. Dont get down on yourself for cheating. Just give it your best and try again to stay focused on your diet the next day.

Also wanted to add that the pre-op diet is 100 times harder than the post-op diet.

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. I didn't pretty good the last few days. Slipped up a little on Sunday but only because it was my wedding day. Tomorrow is the big day. I have to be up at 4am and checked in at 5:30. Wish me luck.

Good luck and Congrats on your wedding! Dont beat yourself up about it. You will do much better post-op.