Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone..

My name is casey. I had my sleeve done when i was 18 in 2010. I am now 21 and in the last year i have been diagnosed with ADHD... I have been through a roller coaster with meds. The final medicine im on now is Focalin XR. It continues to make me extremely nauseous.

If anyone has ADHD and success with any med... PLEASE SHARE.

Thanks!

Vyvanse

how does that work out for you? i take focalin but its not lasting and i think because of my sleeve.

Casey, I have had such a hard time finding info on this too. I am on adderall and am anxious about how the sleeve will effect my meds. My PCP isn't sure so we're taking a "wait and see" approach" ... Oh joy! Lol

I don't have nausea issues but it does curb my appetite. I'm a little more worried as some people have complained that adderall can make them feel wired. I have never had that side effect, but I worry I may post sleeve or as I lose weight... I guess I will "wait and see" lol

Good luck!! :)

Hi there. I'm new here and I am nervous about being denied because of my meds. After reading a different thread, I've learned that my anti-depressant wont be a problem, but I also take Adderall for ADD. Has anyone heard of that particular med being an issue for being approved or in any way after surgery? Thanks!

Hi there. I'm new here and I am nervous about being denied because of my meds. After reading a different thread' date=' I've learned that my anti-depressant wont be a problem, but I also take Adderall for ADD. Has anyone heard of that particular med being an issue for being approved or in any way after surgery? Thanks![/quote']

I have been sleeved since my last post and I can say that it didn't effect my eligibility for surgery at all. However, I am having such a hard time getting anything down without nausea since surgery that my appetite is shot. I am avoiding my meds right now out of worry that it would kill the little sliver of appetite I have left.

I too have ADD. I take Adderall. I post op and it did not affect my approval for surgery. I have continued my meds since surgery, they work just as well as they did before surgery. My dr. Said as I lose weight my meds will work better for me. I'm looking forward to that. Good luck getting the meds that will work for you without the side effects:)

I'm randomly prescribed stimulants when my fibrofog gets out of control. Not much success for me but I had a lot of students on Strattera. Good luck!

I also read the "inventor" of ADHD recently passed and on his deathbed stated "ADHD is a perfect example of a fictitious disease."

I'm torn with this. I know it exists, working in special needs I've seen it! But it is very over diagnosed. Much like depression. You're tired? Here's some Prozac!

I wish the mental health care here was better. I hope everyone can find a good, knowledgable, and reliable psychiatrist!

I'm randomly prescribed stimulants when my fibrofog gets out of control. Not much success for me but I had a lot of students on Strattera. Good luck!

I also read the "inventor" of ADHD recently passed and on his deathbed stated "ADHD is a perfect example of a fictitious disease."

I'm torn with this. I know it exists' date=' working in special needs I've seen it! But it is very over diagnosed. Much like depression. You're tired? Here's some Prozac!

I wish the mental health care here was better. I hope everyone can find a good, knowledgable, and reliable psychiatrist![/quote']

That's quite a presumptuous and unneeded answer. I personally have a very good, knowledgable and reliable psychiatrist. I think perhaps you are looking for a different topic to share your concerns about over diagnosis. This was not about the validity of our diagnosis in anyway, but rather about our prescribed medicines and their effect on surgery, or surgery's effect on our medication.

That's quite a presumptuous and unneeded answer. I personally have a very good' date=' knowledgable and reliable psychiatrist. I think perhaps you are looking for a different topic to share your concerns about over diagnosis. This was not about the validity of our diagnosis in anyway, but rather about our prescribed medicines and their effect on surgery, or surgery's effect on our medication.[/quote']

Hardly. Just a relevant thought. Besides I volunteered information to the OP.

Also, OP, be prepared for a tad longer journey with your meds. Psych meds tend to not work initially, they have to build up in your system. Stimulants tend to be the exception though!

From what I've read, the surgery won't impair your ability to take suitable meds. The only thing that "may" influence the dosage would be weight loss but I'm gonna assume you're in maintenance or close since you've had your sleeve awhile. Again, good luck!

Hi everyone..

My name is casey. I had my sleeve done when i was 18 in 2010. I am now 21 and in the last year i have been diagnosed with ADHD... I have been through a roller coaster with meds. The final medicine im on now is Focalin XR. It continues to make me extremely nauseous.

If anyone has ADHD and success with any med... PLEASE SHARE.

Thanks!

Regarding the nausea, have you tried compazine? It's an anti emetic but it's safer for a longer term. Or taking your pill with food? I'm sure you have. This isn't your first rodeo ;)

Is the nausea right after the pill starts breaking up in your stomach? Or all day? I know they advise against XR meds with the sleeve because of the damage to the stomach lining and it's inability to break down before it passes completely through our systems.