Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Managing VSG while traveling every week for work -- tips please

Hi,

I am a little over a week away from flying to MX for my surgery. I travel for work every week. It is about an hour flight, each way. I keep my main bag at the hotel. It has all of my main work clothes, toiletries, makeup, etc. Thus, I won't have a heavy bag to lift or carry. I just take "undies" back and forth and my laptop. I have a small bullet like blender at the work site. I currently go to whole foods every week and buy food for the week for lunch and dinner. Thus, I am used to not eating for the most part at restaurants. But, I do have semi-required dinners when the hot shots come to town or we are celebrating a milestone. In fact, we have one the first week I am back from surgery. I think I am going to try and skip this first one, but I can't do that every time. I have purchased the Dr's recommended Vitamins and Protein powder. I have a set in my desk and a set at my apartment. I purchased broth for both locations.

I have told my immediate team that I am getting this surgery. In fact one of my team mates did the Y thing about a year ago. She lives closer to the work site and drove back and forth every week. She also convinced them to let her stay at an apartment. I really don't want to stay at an apartment as I don't want another place to clean. (call me lazy). Anyhow, my immediate colleagues know I will be eating weird and can't drink alcohol. But, the larger team doesn't know that I know of. I am sure they will find out eventually.

Also, there are three of us that have gone together and we have a personal trainer that comes to the hotel twice a week. I told him about the surgery. I told him I probably couldn't do anything my first week back except walk. I am hoping that the next week I can start doing his workouts, but just making sure i am not lifting ... yes, I will talk to the Dr. in MX to find out more details. Any experiences with that would be helpful.

What else can I do to make this VSG lifestyle work for me. Any and all tips are welcome.

Mary

The diner thing will only be an issue while you are on liquids and softs so depending on your surgeons postop plan it could be as little as a month, then you'll be able to eat normal food just in smaller quantities. Good Luck.

I would suggest planning out your meals for the week. Then make sure that you take with you your food for the day. This will help you stay in control. I would also try to get up and walk as much as possible too. Good luck.

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. As another poster said the most difficult time will be liquid, pureed, mushy. Try to order things you can eat: Soup, mashed potatoes, a dip. These might not be the best choices but if you have to go to dinner with them you have to order something. Most times no one will say anything if you have food in front of you. Push the food around your plate, if it comes with a meat cut it up, make like you ARE eating it. You can always have a shake in your room. Best wishes in Mexico!!

I also travel for work about 50% of the time, but it's all over the country (occasional out of the country) for a few nights at a time. Lots of client dinners, grabbing whatever I can in the airport, cocktail receptions, team happy hours, etc.

I found that the frequent travelers tend to order healthier on menus so lots of grilled fish, etc. Which would work during the soft stage. Also, usually can always find Soup on the menu.

Not sleeved yet, but my strategy for the receptions/happy hours, etc (which my team does a LOT) will be to order juice looking drinks - e.g. virgin bloody mary, OJ with a lime slice, etc. Things that can look like a cocktail but aren't.

I'm currently in pre-op diet so I've been packing packaged Protein drinks and a Blender Bottle. And, I plan on telling a few folks that I'm not able to join them for dinner due to some project deadlines I'm on.

Most people aren't as observant as we give them credit for.

Thank you everyone!