Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

21 and wanting a new me

HEY, I'm Makayla!

I'm from Texas and have made the decision to have WLS

Oops I accidently pressed send. Anyways I've decided to have WLS, my mom had it done in March by Dr. Alvarez and has had AMAZING results! I'm a nursing student and have a year left until graduation, I feel like in my profession I need to be an image of health. Which I'm not. My parents have had relationship issues following the surgery, which has really opened my eyes to the fact that I want to do this before I find the person I want to marry so I will be the person my future husband has always known me as. I guess I just want to know how people my age feel after getting to their goal weight. Also since I am a college kid I do like to part take in partying, What is drinking like after having the surgery?

I'm 19 and am a nursing student. I am 3 days post-op and am doing great. I would highly recommend getting the surgery done but you have to be ready to make a huge commitment to changing your lifestyle. Most surgeon's recommend waiting until at least 6 months after surgery to start drinking and then you should be aware that you are drinking empty calories so until you get down to goal weight you should really take it easy. Alcohol also absorbs quicker so you will be a cheap date. I wouldn't expect to go to parties and be able to drink like you used to. I'm in a sorority at college so know the party scene well but my sisters and I know that when I get back it'll be different than we are used to. You just have to be SUPER careful. I'm so excited to be back at my goal weight and be healthy again that all of these changes are SO worth it :) Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

I'm 22 and going into a health field as well after college. THe docs told me the same thing about alcohol. I've already decided that for a while I"m going to be just drinking cranberry juice and sip on it all night to keep the image up.

It's good to see there are some people this end of 20 on this website haha. Good Luck with the surgery!

Hi makayla, I'm also new here and decided to have WLS, my first consult with my surgeon is in feb 2013 and I'm really excited/nervous and I can't wait. I'm 23yo and also a nursing student who'll be graduating next year (fingers crossed). I've been reading heaps of post were people have issues in their relationships after getting the sleeve done and this has become a motivator for me to become a healthier and happier person before mr right comes along lol.

I wish you all the luck and success with this journey your about to take. ✌

So I'm 10 lbs too light from being able to have the surgery. I guess I better eat well this Christmas. Hope everyone has a happy holiday!

Congrats on your decision! It's well worth it.

In regards to the drinking - it WILL take you much less to feel it. Everyone is different though. I have a sleever friend who drinks way more than she should (shes about 140, down from 240 and puts away 5-6 drinks without getting drunk). I personally drink much less and less frequently than I used to, but im still losing weight and working out and drinking is not conducive to my workout regime.

Welcome from another fellow Texan. I only wish I could have had this surgery when I was 21. Best of luck.

Also a Texan here. Also wishing I would have done this when I was 21!!!!

Good luck in your journey, both nursing and WLS!!!!

I'm 21 and I think this might be the best decision I've made for myself. I'm still regretting it right now since it's the holidays and I can't eat all the delicious foods bc I'm on liquids, but come next month, I'm going to be more positive.

I just can't wait to do all the things I've wanted to do with my body! To be very fit (even though I was before surgery) and finally see my hard work pay off. I can't wait to go clothes shopping a year from now. I'm also a little nervous for the attention and body policing. Especially about the comments about my weight loss.

However, I think you'll realize that we made the right choice! I wish you the best of luck and a speedy healthy recovery.

I'm 26 and in my 2nd year of nursing school... I'm really looking into having VGS with Dr. Alvarez. At 4'11", 240# just ISN'T healthy! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only "younger" person out here:)

My name is Gabi and I'm 24 and a teacher in Seoul, south Korea. I'm originally from Texas and getting my sleeve in February! I really can't wait but these days, I'm getting nervous about not being able to eat all the delicious foods that my fiancé likes to cook for me! But I know in the end, it'll be so worth it!

Good luck everyone!

The date is set! March 12th! I'm so excited!

The date is set! March 12th! I'm so excited!

OMG!! That's so awesome!! I'm so glad for you:) Keep us updated! You'll do great!!!!