Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Body Composition Testing Option: Inbody

I found a new body composition testing option called InBody: http://www.biospaceamerica.com

I'm going to get the testing done in a couple of weeks. It is faster, and in some cases cheaper, than DEXA or BodPod.

If you happen to live in Colorado, here's where I'm getting it done: http://www.rosemed.com/conditions_we_treat/sports-medicine/chss/inbody-720.htm

If you live in another state, all I did was Google "inbody denver" and I found the local hospital that does it. It is $75 for a session that includes the InBody testing and a consultation about how to modify workout plans to achieve goal weight with optimal body composition. For example, either build more muscle (lift weights), or burn more fat (cardio).

I will try and remember to report back here with a review.

Interesting, but unfortunately it's BIA? We used professional Tantia scales at facility I work out at and they tend to be not very accurate. Fluid balance is a big issue with BIA readings in general and unfortunately still effects even expensive versions of these scales. I would be curious to know if these are any differenace(perhaps better body composition equation thus better readings).

- http://www.tanita.co...ssional-scales/

Interesting, but unfortunately it's BIA? We used professional Tantia scales at facility I work out at and they tend to be not very accurate. Fluid balance is a big issue with BIA readings in general and unfortunately still effects even expensive versions of these scales. I would be curious to know if these are any differenace(perhaps better body composition equation thus better readings).

- http://www.tanita.co...ssional-scales/

I think you're right on. Here's a link to their explanation of why the technology is better than standard BIA: http://www.biospaceamerica.com/Tech/skill.html

The PhD who runs the exercise science program where I'm getting tested says he's been very impressed with the technology. It generally gets within 2% of DEXA, and he says for the difference in speed and cost the 2% doesn't matter for most except maybe elite athletes. I would tend to agree, 2% margin of error is good enough for me.

I found a new body composition testing option called InBody: http://www.biospaceamerica.com

I'm going to get the testing done in a couple of weeks. It is faster' date=' and in some cases cheaper, than DEXA or BodPod.

If you happen to live in Colorado, here's where I'm getting it done: http://www.rosemed.com/conditions_we_treat/sports-medicine/chss/inbody-720.htm

If you live in another state, all I did was Google "inbody denver" and I found the local hospital that does it. It is 75 for a session that includes the InBody testing and a consultation about how to modify workout plans to achieve goal weight with optimal body composition. For example, either build more muscle (lift weights), or burn more fat (cardio).

I will try and remember to report back here with a review.[/quote']

I had the scan on Wednesday at the same place. Was Dr Snyder your surgeon?

Wow that sounds cool. Please update us...

Thank you for the link.

2% isn't bad at all. Even DEXA scans aren't 100% accurate because all the body fat measuring methods(calipers, under Water weighing, etc) are really just estimates which cant be called 100% accurate by definition anyways.

I had the scan on Wednesday at the same place. Was Dr Snyder your surgeon?

Wow that sounds cool. Please update us...

No, I had my surgery through Kaiser Permanente at St. Joseph. Dr. Chae did the surgery. They don't have a body composition component there, so I found InBody and then found it at Rose via Google.

I will definitely post an update. I am having the scan done next Tuesday.

So, here are the results. I am 6 feet tall, 35 years old.

The biggest takeaway: there's no way the normal BMI measurement applies to me as a guideline for a goal weight. Even if I lost 100% of my body fat I would still weigh 188, which puts me over 25 on the BMI charts, which is still considered overweight.

The better goal is to shoot for, at most, 15% body fat, which means I need to get down to 220. So, as you can see, the printout shows I need to gain no more lean body mass, and I should lose another 39lbs of bodyfat to reach goal.

inbody 2012 Dec

This was quick and easy. I would highly recommend it to anyone, both pre and post-op.

I had the test with the InBody 720 done over a month ago at the Denver Center for Health & Sport Science, www.denverchss.com. I know Dr. Wolkodoff works closely with Dr. Snyder, yet he tries to work with the other surgeons as well. In fact, I got a discount because my surgeon recommends to him, although after the experience I would have paid the full $95 to find out all the information. By the way, I called Sally Jobe to see what a body comp with DEXA scanning would be, and the price was $279!!!

First off, this test got rid of all the bad information from BMI, as I found out that doesn't work accurately with people who have been heavy or athletes, as we have denser bones and muscles. Based upon 23% body fat, my ideal weight is 148-153 where the BMI had me at where I would have been in 6th grade!

Another interesting thing is you learn how much muscle you have in each area. I found out my legs were about 10-12% deficit for my ideal weight, so I was not getting as much out of cardio training as I thought, so I added in two sessions of weight training. As a result of the ideas and recommendation, my weight loss over the last 30 days was double what I had achieved the previous 30 days, so I am very happy.

I think the comment about the Tanita scale is not applicable to this machine. I think the Tanita is like $500 and this machine was over $18,000. You would expect it to do a lot more with more accuracy, and apparently it does. Dr. W also explained that all these composition measurements are really very good estimations and all have a certain amount of inaccuracy. So my thought was why lay in a DEXA tube for 15 minutes if I could get the same result by standing for 90 seconds? I know someone who was measured in both, and the difference was 1/10th of a percent between the two.

So, my vote was this was well worth the time and expense, and definitely changed how I thought about my ideal weight and exercise. Part of this was the machine, and part of it was the expertise Dr. W has at explaining all this and making good suggestions about exercise They do some other cool things, and soon I am going in to get my feet and gait measured at DCHSS and will report back.