Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal Question About The Surgery?

Ok I've not ever had any kind of surgery and have heard many scary tales lol. But one main question on my brain laugh if you want, but do you have to wear a cathater or casater I don't like the sound of how that is used and really would like to avoid this and in my mind don't see the need of having one for such a short surgery... I mean I don't pee the bed so I shouldn't pee while in such a short surgery. Just wondering if anyone woke up with a bag hooked to them??:notagree

I had one and they put it in after I was under the anesthesia. When they took it out it wasn't that bad. Usually they take it out before you wake up but they left mine in.

No catheter. My surgery only took 30 minutes and I went home the same day. I walked to the bathroom before they released me.

I had a cathedar as well, but they put mine in after surgery started and took it out the next morning. It didn't hurt at all when they took it out. I think the cathedar is moreso for after surgery as it takes a while for the anesthesia to get out of your system.

well I suppose the pain meds will help to ease my mind off of it if It comes to that lol not gonna worry to awful much about it

well I suppose the pain meds will help to ease my mind off of it if It comes to that lol not gonna worry to awful much about it

Oh, yes...they give you good meds after any kind of surgery. My anesthesiologist doesn't like to give pre-op meds because he says it makes it harder to wake you up afterward. I wanted to say, "And your point would be?????"

sounds great to me oh it would be awful to wake up during surgery probably my bigest fear of the whole ordeal lol can you imagine waking up with a tube in your throat and prongs going in ur belly I would probably pass back out anyway

Often, during surgery doctors have a catheter put in because the anesthesia contains muscle relaxants as well as drugs to knock you out. That relaxes ALL of your muscles, not just the ones he's working with. So for prevention, they'll routinely put a catheter in once you're off to dream land and then they take it out just before you wake up. You'll never even know it's there.

Now, some docs leave it in post op for various reasons. If your surgery is outpatient, they probably won't simply because they expect you to wake up and go home. If you're spending the night, they might leave it in for convenience although that's a pretty poor excuse because they tell you they want you to get up and walk as soon as you can. What other reason to make sure you get up than to make you get up and go to the toilet? DUH!

There are VERY RARE instances of patients waking up on the table. It happens, but it's rare and as soon as the anesthesiologist notices you might be awake they shoot some more drugs in your vein and off to la la land you go.

They put a cath in me after I was under and took it out before I woke up.

But I had some trouble peeing after surgery (went 20 hours with out peeing) So they had to put it back in. I couldn't go home until I could pee on my own. I soon did and went home. My Dr. said that some times the anesthesia can cause this. :)

I had a cath put in while I was under. I had it taken out the following day. It didn't hurt but it was extremely annoying. That was the one thing I didn't like. I usually get urinary track infections after a cath. I was lucky this time.