Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grrrr! Everything seemed to be going so smoothly & now it just feels like one more thing...no wait, just one more... Or wait! Sorry...just THIS one more thing...

Today: birth control

This battle over my uterus has got to end. Is it not bad enough that I have to stop taking my Yaz? Now my PCP won't quit haggling me about switching. She is CONVINCED that Mirena is best. I know that it is not, for ME. So then she wants me back on Nuvaring. (NOT going to happen--that thing did evil things to me) I asked 3x abt depo & now that my pill pack is almost ready to run out, she's calling me back in for ANOTHER APPT TO DISCUSS THIS ISSUE. In my eyes, it's not an issue. If I can't be on the pill, I want the shot or I'll take my chances on nothing. She is so thick. I am fully aware that depo has been linked to weight gain. However, I've been on it before & I know what to expect! . I should've gotten a sep GYN. omg I'm so frustrated.

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW) | @Mwrarr | mwrarr.wordpress.com

I gained 60 lbs. from the Depo shot in 1 1/2 years; and then my weight stuck. I haven't been able to lose ANY weight since then and that was over 10 years ago. I know it doesn't effect everyone like that, but I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Hate for you to gain weight back because of it.

Have you looked at implanon? It doesn't have the estrogen that raises the risk of blood clots. Get the implant and you are set for three years. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Tunis for your input! I truly appreciate it.

I was on Depo around 2000-2001 & yes, I gained weight on it--Maybe about 60#. However, I know that I gained weight bc I ate garbage & had nearly Irish twins & an absent husband for 3-6 wks at a time (he was an OTR driver when we were married). I'm not saying the drug didn't help the weight issue, but it was definitely my own fault. This time, I know what to expect...except that my BF & I *may* want to have a baby once I have te surg & get close to goal. MAYBE. (he's 37 already & my kids are now 14 & almost 13) But...I do still worry about the fertility issues after stopping depo.

I don't know much about implanon other than the obvious. I'd be willing to consider it. I guess this whole b.c. issue is just making me crazy. It shouldn't be this difficult to make decisions about your own body. The other issue I'm concerned about is how surgery will affect the usage outcomes of various types of methods. UGH. *LeSigh* I need a nap.

;}

This is why we just use condoms... too much for my brain to process when considering the med options. Good luck to you.

Sounds like you need new doctors. I was on depo for 10 years. I loved depo, but I believe that us where a lot of my weight gain came from. I asked my GYN several times for a better solution and he mentioned Mirena. I determined it was not for me and stayed in depo for 2 more years. I eventually got tired of him suggesting other forms or medications when I really wanted something permanent. He would not do surgery for sterilization. Although I was 30 and had no kids, I had also been married twice and could of had kids if I wanted kids. I understood that I wasn't motherly and would rather have Great Danes than children. I found another GYN. She was very understanding and listened to me and my reasons and what I wanted. She helped me find the method of birth control that worked for me and was willing to preform the Essure procedure. That and WLS have been the best decisions I have ever made. Having a doctor that will listen and help you makes all the difference.

Implanon was awful for me. I gained 50 pounds on it and then I couldn't lose it for the life of me. Then one day, I was laying new sod and the shovel slipped and hit it. It broke in half, and they had to cut my arm apart to get it out. In my opinion implanon is *not* a good choice.

I swear so many of us have these issues with birth control. If it isn't one issue its another. I've been so much happier not taking anything at all.

I'm on the pill... works just fine for me (except the oops baby I had when I ran out for a cpl days but shhhhh)

is there a reason you don't want the Mirena? I know its not for everyone but I have for female issues and not birth control. I too had irish twins, Mirena is nice however for me. It is placed and then forgot about for 5 years. I have had zero issues with mine. I am not going to lie.....poop hurts going in!. I wish you the best and I hope you find something that works for you.

The reason I don't want Mirena is bc I had it back in 2008-09 & had nothing but trouble with it. I bled like a stuck pig for a few months worth of periods, then it seemed to lighten up & I actually sort of appreciated it. Then around month 6-7 I started bleeding heavily, & that lasted for about a month before I passed out at work from it. Luckily, I worked in an ER when it happened & the doc on duty was pretty smart about women's issues. I had to be on pills to stop the bleeding for a while (can't remember the name--& they didn't really help anyway). Went to my OBGYN & practically begged them to remove it. They convinced me it was ok. FFWD to month 11 & find out I was 14 wks preg & lost it--prob due to the device.

Implanon was awful for me. I gained 50 pounds on it and then I couldn't lose it for the life of me. Then one day' date=' I was laying new sod and the shovel slipped and hit it. It broke in half, and they had to cut my arm apart to get it out. In my opinion implanon is *not* a good choice.

I swear so many of us have these issues with birth control. If it isn't one issue its another. I've been so much happier not taking anything at all.[/quote']

That is my biggest fear w/implanon! I'm a total klutz & I'm sure at some point I would smash it.

oh boy I am sorry for the troubles with that :(

I sure hope you can find something that will work for you. You might want to switch Ob-gyn if they are not willing to work with you..

Implanon was awful for me. I gained 50 pounds on it and then I couldn't lose it for the life of me. Then one day' date=' I was laying new sod and the shovel slipped and hit it. It broke in half, and they had to cut my arm apart to get it out. In my opinion implanon is *not* a good choice.[/quote']

I have had no problems with implanon vs the I problems i did have with the pill. No weight gain. My skin is clearer then it has been in ages. Also don't have to stop taking anything prior to surgery since the implanon doesn't have estrogen so risk of blood clots isn't there. Risk of pregnancy is lower then the pill. Being on ms medications that was something I had to consider. You can breast feed with implanon. And I could go on and on.

But everyone is different and responds differently. I would not tell anyone *not* to use something because I didn't like the results. There are risks with all forms of bc. OP said nothing about implanon so I threw it out as something to look into.

But unless the person is physically not able to get pregnant, some form of contraceptive is advised. Weight goes down. Fertility goes up. And they advise no pregnancy in the first 12 months at least.

So in MY opinion to *not* use anything is I'll advised.

*ill