Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Depressed

I am three weeks, two days out and have been feeling a little more depressed. Very happy I lost 20 lbs. so far but can;t wait to eat more normal foods. Is this normal? I wouldn;t say I'm hungry but I have been obsessing a lot about all the foods I can;t have and am wondering if I will ever be able to eat them again. I know a lot of bread isn;t good for you, but I would love at least a piece of whole wheat toast or bagel. My NUT did not tell me when you can begin to introduce breads or any kind of meat. RIght now I am only allowed fish, chicken, turkey, eggs and some mashed potato. SIck of it already. Does it get any easier?. Also having trouble getting 60-80 grams Protein, but I am trying. Wondering if I did the right thing having it.

YES YOU DID THE RIGHT THING! It will get so much better when you can expand your diet. At a month and a half I pretty much started to experiment with everything. There are still a few foods I loved that make me sick, i.e. eggs, avocados, and mayo. Sounds like you just need to hang in there a little longer. You can do it! It is so worth the weight (LOL). It will so get easier!

Kimba46,

I'm also 3 weeks post op and I feel depressed, I have no energy, I'm not hungry I have lots of things I wanted to do around the house but I really don't have the energy for it. I want this feeling to go away I have lots of things to be greatful for. So far it's been 2 days that I've been feeling like this. Anyone out there that can give us some pointers if you've gone through this.

I agree that you did the right thing. It def gets easier. I still have things I cannot eat like soft bread, eggs, tortilla and my fav.....watermelon. Just doesn't go down but everyone is different. I remember being in your shoes....you will get through this!

What you are going through is normal. After effects of the surgery, the stress of doing without chewable food for a long period of time and as you lose weight, your body releases hormones stored in the fat - all that can make you emotional/depressed/moody whatever.

It does get easier. Alot easier, but it takes time.

My advice to you when you are feeling depressed is to remind yourself of why you did this. "Eye on the prize" kind of thinking. Consider writing a journal or some way of getting your feelings, hopes and dreams out there. Read inspirational success stories - do whatever you need to do to get your mind positive and knowing that this will help you meet your goals.

You don't know me from adam, but my life has been utterly saved by being sleeved. The quality of life has gone through the roof. You will find thousands of stories of people who 6 months out and beyond have lost massive weight and are now living a much better life.

Thank you to everyone who replied. It is good to know so many people have been in the same boat and that we are all here to support each other. I feel a little better. I know eventually there will be many things I can eat and I won;t have to be on this phase forever.

I just wanted to thank all the posters on here, I've found not a lot of posts like this one and it's at least reassuring that the feelings I'm having aren't completely out of the norm.

It will get better ya just have to take it one day at a time. I think we all get a little depressed through this whole ordeal, until maybe we reach our goals. I believe that is why this forum is here to help each other through this. Im not a doctor or anything but I am a pretty good listener if you want to talk.