Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Protein Bars Worth Trying?

I keep seeing Protein bars, but none of them seem quite right. Can anyone recommend a good bar? I got one from the commissary that has more Protein than carbs, but not a huge difference. I thought it would be nice to have something to snack on while on the run.

Thanks!

I keep seeing Protein bars' date=' but none of them seem quite right. Can anyone recommend a good bar? I got one from the commissary that has more Protein than carbs, but not a huge difference. I thought it would be nice to have something to snack on while on the run.

Thanks![/quote']

Quest bars are my favorite. They have great protein and low carbs. And yummy!

Personally, I'm a fan of the Quest Protein bars - very low in digestible carbs, (high in fiber), high in Protein, and come in great flavors. They're pretty chewy, which takes some getting used to if you're eating them on the run. I prefer them microwaved for a few seconds to soften them up, but I do take them on hikes.

You can order them online from Amazon or direct from Quest. My local GNC has finally started carrying a good selection of their flavors too.

I also really like the PowerCrunch bars, but they're a little too tasty - if I have one it leaves me wanting another. I can't have them in my desk at at work.

You might also think about options that aren't sweet. I carry string cheese / Mini baby bel light cheeses, or Ostrim meat sticks.

I love Atkins Advantage bars - i eat the chocolate Peanut Butter Bar

calories 240

Protein 19

carbs 22 kinda high (it says only 2 net grams) on front - but it is really 22 per back, never understood this - some marketing, makes you think you are only gonna have 2 g but its really 22 - can someone explain this?

the happy cat - i see you are about 2 months post op - how are you feeling? how are you doing? good recovery - being nosey!!! everything going well? hope so

I will eat 1/2 the bar sometimes - other half later

calories 240

Protein 19

carbs 22 kinda high (it says only 2 net grams) on front - but it is really 22 per back, never understood this - some marketing, makes you think you are only gonna have 2 g but its really 22 - can someone explain this?

On an Atkins low carb diet - you count your carbs but do not count the Carbs of Fiber or sugar alcohol because they believe it is unabsorbable and does not affect your blood sugar, insulin or being in a state of ketosis for weight loss.

I also really like the PowerCrunch bars, but they're a little too tasty - if I have one it leaves me wanting another. I can't have them in my desk at at work.

These are my favorite too but I can not stop at a half a bar and am very full when I eat a complete bar. The 200 calories & 10 carbs (only one of those is fiber) is a bit high for the 13 grams of Protein but I picked them up because they are not full of the sugar alcohol that many low carb bars contain. They are a total treat for me, I feel like I am eating a giant sugar wafer cookie.

On an Atkins low carb diet - you count your carbs but do not count the Carbs of Fiber or sugar alcohol because they believe it is unabsorbable and does not affect your blood sugar, insulin or being in a state of ketosis for weight loss.

shrinkydinkme

got it, thanx for your explanation :)

something to do with sugar alchols

newgrandmother

from one grammy to another - thanx for the info :)

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm going to do some research.

calories 240

Protein 19

the happy cat - i see you are about 2 months post op - how are you feeling? how are you doing? good recovery - being nosey!!! everything going well? hope so

I will eat 1/2 the bar sometimes - other half later

Hey there!

I'm doing well. I'm down 30.5 lbs so far. I have been struggling to get my Protein in, so I'm really trying to step it up and get all of my protein and keep the carbs down.

My next step is to start exercising. I've been putting it off because I'm so out of shape, but I just got a membership to the local YMCA so I'm going to start going soon.

How are you doing?

Sam's carries Pure Protein Bars.. ( 3 flavors ), they are:

Calories : 200

Fat: 5g

Total Carb: depending on bar 15-18g ( Sugar 3 g)

Protein: 20 gr

They taste pretty good ( but not "too" good) :rolleyes: So they work pretty good 4 me. I only use them for emergencies. Keep one in purse all the time.

The Atkins advantage bars are the only only "Protein bars" I'll eat. Basically everything else is loaded with sugar.

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW)

I got addicted to Power Crunch bars. They are that good. Anyone who is sensitive to carbs i suggest you stay away from them.

As for Atkins bars: be careful. The sugar alcohol can really bloat some people and/or cause diaherra. Some people are more sensitive to sugar alcohols than other. I can eat one a day. Found that out the hard way. :-)