Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Already Sleevers That Had Back Problems Pre-Op Please Read!

i have a quick question....i just had back surgery for a herniated disc (im only 29) and have already herniated another disc and ive got several bulging discs aswell ....so 1 of the reasons i need the get the sleeve is to loose this enormious amount of fat so i dont end up having to have another back surgery or worse a spinal fusion surgery which is horrible because i have to children under 2, so my question is to people who have had the sleeve and lost weight how significantly has it helped with you back pain and people with degenerative discs have they done a mri to see how your discs are doing after your weight loss? i'm just really hoping that this surgery will help my back and my high bp, pre diabetes,and degenerative disc disease

thanks all

So far I've lost nearly 80lbs and it's done wonders for my back and knee pains, and joints not to mention completely eliminated my diabetes and helped lower my blood pressure and lower my meds for it.

If an MRI is required or not is something you would probably have to discuss with your doctors, they would know best. But the surgery would do wonders towards helping alleviate your current ailments.

i have my MRI from my last scan and will get a copy of my next one after surgery hopefully...he said he will probably do them periodically because of my back issues ,,i think it would be cool to see the disc looking normal instead of being smush and about to squirt out like donut filling...lol

I haven't ever had to have surgeries for my back but I had horrible back pain before surgery because of all my weight (plus large chest). My back actually hurt more for 2 weeks post op because I wasn't moving much and I stooped more than usual so as not to stretch the stitches. It hurt.

It was a bad quality of life. I couldn't walk around more than 15mins with my husband and baby before giving up and going home because of back pain. I couldn't exercise for too long. I'm very happy to say that these days my back hardly ever bothers me and I can walk around for hours.

i figured it would help.. my pcp suggested pain management for my back before surgery so that i wouldn't have to deal with that plus surgery pain but im scared because of all this meningitis outbreak. why oh why does everything have to be so difficult in life...

I didn't have back problems per say, but I did come home from work almost daily saying it hurt & asking my husband to rub it. Also my feet. Since losing 26.6 lbs (surgery 9/4), I haven't had a sore back or feet! :-) I went to the chiro for mine, but it wasn't anything near what you seem to have.