Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Things Some People Will Say

I do not personally know anyone who has had the sleeve but i do know a girl who had bypass about 2 1/2 years ago. I talk to her a lot about her experiences & ask her advice. Today we were talking, she told me to prepare myself for some very negative people after the surgery. She has experienced this from people she never expected would treat her this way. She did not tell many people about her surgery, one of her friends found out a couple of weeks after the fact and confronted her about it. She told her that it was true she had the surgery. The friend preceded to tell her how wrong this was and she had "went against God". First of all, why do people take it upon themselves to judge others about anything. Secondly, I have read my bible & never remember the passage thy shall not have weight loss surgery. With all that said, Post op sleevers have you had this issue? I have a tough skin & I can let things go in one ear & out the other but I would like to prepare myself for this if it is common.

I haven't had a single negative comment, but the people I work know better than to say something to my face. They'll just keep it to themselves or talk amongst themselves, rather than deal with me.

Hummm, No one has said anything negative to me, but my BIL told me when I shared with him later that he would of prayed for me. Now he doesn't speak to me at all and his brother is totally angry with him because of his rude behaviors. It's really no loss to me. :)

If you getting healthy causes a problem with someone than its time to move on. They need to get over themselves.

I haven't had a single negative comment, but the people I work know better than to say something to my face. They'll just keep it to themselves or talk amongst themselves, rather than deal with me.

Well said. That pretty much sums it up for me too. I don't care what anyone says. Everyone I know, knows this. I do not suffer fools very well. My friends and coworkers know if they confront me, they better be prepared to be challenged because I will stand my ground.

Honestly, I think people make too much of this issue. You may hear some fool tell you something, but you won't hear any more negativity than you otherwise would going through life obese.

In this situation, I think I would just roll with the punches, because it's like your darned if you do, and your darned if you don't. If you had weight loss surgery folks got something negative to say about it, and if you are still overweight, it's, "hey you need to lose weight" What nerve anybody has to tell me what to do with MY body. At this point, and after all I have been through with weight issues, and random people pointing and laughing at me, I could care less what folks think of me. I double dog dare some one, :angry: friend or foe, to get upset with me because I had weight loss surgery to make a healthier life for myself, and To be able to run with my children will be priceless....I already know I'm going to get some negative feed back from people because of it, so I said a prayer and asked God to shut my mouth if it needs to be shut, and if something needs to be said, give me what to say.

I do not personally know anyone who has had the sleeve but i do know a girl who had bypass about 2 1/2 years ago. I talk to her a lot about her experiences & ask her advice. Today we were talking, she told me to prepare myself for some very negative people after the surgery. She has experienced this from people she never expected would treat her this way. She did not tell many people about her surgery, one of her friends found out a couple of weeks after the fact and confronted her about it. She told her that it was true she had the surgery. The friend preceded to tell her how wrong this was and she had "went against God". First of all, why do people take it upon themselves to judge others about anything. Secondly, I have read my bible & never remember the passage thy shall not have weight loss surgery. With all that said, Post op sleevers have you had this issue? I have a tough skin & I can let things go in one ear & out the other but I would like to prepare myself for this if it is common.

I haven't had the surgery yet, but I expect to in October. I have a very good Christian friend who is supporting me in this. She had to have breast reduction many years ago for her neck, back & shoulder relief. She says having bariatric surgery is no different. It's medically neccessary for your health. I am so glad she shared this with me as I am sure there are other Christian friends who would support me, but others who would take the stance of that "friend". My surgeon is a Christian; he explained to me that being Obese is a disease. He & his staff are the nicest people I've ever met in a medical facility. I know that he would not be a bariatric surgeon if he felt God disapproved. I think it's no different than any other surgery or medicine God has given us to help us be/get healthy. Your co-worker's Christian(?) friend needs to realize they have no right to judge her for the surgery. It has nothing to do with them. I know there are areas in their own life they need to work on...they shouldn't be "casting the first stone"...

In this situation, I think I would just roll with the punches, because it's like your darned if you do, and your darned if you don't. If you had weight loss surgery folks got something negative to say about it, and if you are still overweight, it's, "hey you need to lose weight" What nerve anybody has to tell me what to do with MY body. At this point, and after all I have been through with weight issues, and random people pointing and laughing at me, I could care less what folks think of me. I double dog dare some one, :angry: friend or foe, to get upset with me because I had weight loss surgery to make a healthier life for myself, and To be able to run with my children will be priceless....I already know I'm going to get some negative feed back from people because of it, so I said a prayer and asked God to shut my mouth if it needs to be shut, and if something needs to be said, give me what to say.

I totally agree with you. I don't really care what people think of me, never have. I am just in shock that people have such strong feeling about this surgery. It seems like boob and nose jobs are no big deal but you let someone do something that will save their life then you better watch out. Things like this will not discourage me, I'll still do what I need to do for me. I was interested to see if this was a common thing that people deal with, glad to see you guys haven't experienced things like this.

I haven't had a single negative comment' date=' but the people I work know better than to say something to my face. They'll just keep it to themselves or talk amongst themselves, rather than deal with me.[/quote']

Amen to that! They might say it behind my back, but never to my face or somebody will get cussed out!

I totally agree with you. I don't really care what people think of me, never have. I am just in shock that people have such strong feeling about this surgery. It seems like boob and nose jobs are no big deal but you let someone do something that will save their life then you better watch out. Things like this will not discourage me, I'll still do what I need to do for me. I was interested to see if this was a common thing that people deal with, glad to see you guys haven't experienced things like this.

I haven't experienced it yet, my surgery is tomorrow, but I got a feelin' somebody will say something real stupid eventually. I've had mixed reactions to me telling people before hand, my cousin is the one who I have shared everything with though, she's trying to get her sleeve as well.

Hope your surgery was a success LadyK!!! Welcome to the losers bench...I don't worry about what people will say, because its not important in the grand scheme of things. We must make the choices that are best for us in spite of what others may think, feel, or say, that to me is wisdom. Being able to do what's best for you! Don't be surprised if many people you see regularly don't even notice or mention to you that you are losing weight, it happens. Good luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery, welcome to the best time of your life!! It has been for me...