Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just found out yesterday. Seriously? I know comorbidities will make my approval process easier and quicker, but diabetes? I thought that was for people who eat a lot of sweets. I'm not a big fan of sweets. The NUT told me that this surgery is the number one cure for diabetes, and gave me his blessing.

So, ok. I'm diabetic. Let's throw in some hypertension, too. I just learned this yesterday, too and even got some pretty pink pills for that. PSYCH and NUT have cleared me and now I need to have my EGD in early October, rescheduled from this week. Then I get to see the pulmonary people on Oct. 12, and they'll do my sleep study shortly thereafter to see if I have sleep apnea. Think I can go three for three? October 22 I will see the cardiologist and then I get to tie everything up with a pretty bow for the insurance people. The surgeon's office thinks I may still get an October surgery date, but I'm thinking more like early November.

It can't get here soon enough.

I know you're looking for comorbidities for your insurance but diabetes isn't something you want to Celebrate. If you've had for a while and it wasn't diagnosed you could have some serious damage that losing weight might not fix. I'd see an Endocrinologist if I were you and really get checked out.

five' timestamp='1348165949' post='495415'][/size]

I think the OP was being sarcastic. At least that's how I took it.

Jennifer

awwww

what am i missing :o???

Diabetes type II is insulin resistance. When our body does not produce enough insulin, our bodies cannot absorb the glucose into the cells and thus so your blood sugar stays high. High blood sugar damages the vessels and the internal organs.

You body converts starches like bread, Pasta and cereals into sugar for use by the cell. If there is little or no insulin the cells can't get it. It doesn't have to be sweet food necessarily, just carbohydrates.

I know you're looking for comorbidities for your insurance but diabetes isn't something you want to Celebrate. If you've had for a while and it wasn't diagnosed you could have some serious damage that losing weight might not fix. I'd see an Endocrinologist if I were you and really get checked out.

Sorry, yes as mom2five said it was sarcasm. I'm definitely NOT thrilled about the diabetes diagnosis. Our posts don't have eyebrows, so it's hard to convey a tone, iykwim. :-)

I was very surprised since there's no diabetes in my immediate family. I had a very complete physical and blood workup done and it seems like the hypertension and diabetes are the only serious comorbs. I will be following up with my surgeon and my primary care, though, My main objectives here are to get healthy and to glean as much information from this community as I can.

Edited to add: Can anyone tell me if extreme sleepiness is a side effect of diabetes since I'm not using carbs effectively for energy?

Extreme fatigue and sleepiness can be a sign of high blood sugar. At dangerous blood sugar levels it's possible to slip into a coma. That's really extreme though so don't worry about that. What you really need to worry about is what Catracks posted. High blood sugar kills blood vessels starting with the smaller ones which is why toes and eyes and your organs are vulnerable. You need to protect yourself by listening to your doctors who will find a way to get your sugar under control.

Obviously this surgery is going to help but you can't just rely on it. You need to be aware and work harder than a non-diabetic obese person would.

Okay, preachy time is over and the soapbox is put away. Good luck and get ready to work your butt off to beat this. I know you will

Extreme fatigue and sleepiness can also be a sign of sleep apnea, but definitely one of diabetes. Mine resolved, but it doesn't always work out that way. Even if it doesn't, the way we sleevers eat (if we do high protein) will help control it.

Thanks for the info. It's great to know there is so much knowledge in here.

So, here's the bright side: this all may be temporary. With our comorbidities, it seems like we are ticking time bombs and I am guilty of getting pretty down about all that. But! Think of our surgeons and staff as the bomb squad. We just have to stay well and keep fighting so they can do the best d@mn diffusing ever!

My sic told me there was a recent study done that links Type II diabetes with the use of statins for high cholesterol. I reviewed my records and found the diabetes was diagnosed about 6 years after I started the statins.

My sic told me there was a recent study done that links Type II diabetes with the use of statins for high cholesterol. I reviewed my records and found the diabetes was diagnosed about 6 years after I started the statins.

My cholestrol is high due to heredity factors. My mom had been on them for years, but the cholesterol never goes down near enough. The side effects of statins are just horrible. Now this! I flat out refused to take them.

So, here's the bright side: this all may be temporary. With our comorbidities, it seems like we are ticking time bombs and I am guilty of getting pretty down about all that. But! Think of our surgeons and staff as the bomb squad. We just have to stay well and keep fighting so they can do the best d@mn diffusing ever!

My total cholesterol isn't too bad at 181. I was very happy to see my HDL at 53 when it was once 17. Dexter, your post gave me visions of The Hurt Locker! I am sure this is all related to my massive weight gain. I was the picture of good health just a couple of years ago when I lost a bunch of weight (weight that I put back on).

My PCP told me that this is not a cure for diabetes. This procedure is a treatment for diabetes that I choose instead of taking medications. It could be forever, and it might not be. Either way, I really want to take advantage of where I am today. I am making the choices to eat healthy and try to eliminate all the poor food choices that are sugars. I do know that from lab tests that when I have not had anything sugary my A1c dropped to 6.0. Then when i started indulging in some mini candy bars, it shot up to a 6.3. When stopping the indulging in mini candy bars, my A1c went down to 6.1. I was also drinking G2 gatorade and I'm going to take another blood test to see where my A1c is then. I suspect G2 gatorade because it has sucralose in it. Anyway, sorry for the massive post. :)