Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone! I wanted to introduce myself and tell you about the beginning of "my" journey. It is apparent from reading your posts that everyones "pre-op" phase seems a bit different. Here is mine: I attended the informational session in Mid August at Lahey Clinic (outside of Boston). My four hour consultation was two weeks later. The consultation consisted of meeting with the dietrician; nurse practioner and psy. consult. All went fine and I was told I would be a "fine candidate" I think they loved me and I loved them right back! So nice.

They want me to lose about 10lbs before the actual surgery date (which has not been set yet). Two weeks prior to surgery I will be purchasing their liquid diet supplies and going on the two week pre-op diet. I have to tell you, I'm NOT looking forward to that. I am looking forward to post-op though. I think not being sleeved and being on such a strict diet will be extremely difficult. I'll have to keep my eye on the prize though. :wub: At the end of September I am doing a barium swallow, meeting with the dietician again and meeting my surgeon. I was told I would be getting a call to schedule my surgery date sometime in the next few weeks and that they would handle my insurance details. I hope there aren't any "curve" balls thrown by BCBS, as I am so very ready for this to take place. I have read and researched this to death - so bring it on!

Thanks for reading along :)

Hello, fellow Bostonian!! Congrats on your new journey! :)

Laura (Arlington, MA)

Hi there! Glad to hear you are well on your way. I'm still waiting for my first consult with the surgeon (Sept 11). I also have BCBS. Did you get a checklist of what they require? I know it varies from state to state but was wondering what yours requires. I've heard of some people who have BCBS who have to do a dr supervised diet for six months plus a lot of other things but I think mine is more simple, according to what I read about my plan.

Hopefully you wont have to jump through any hoops and you get your surgery soon!

height : 5 ft, weight: 270, BMI: 53 Cant wait to get sleeved!

Ill be following your journey! Good luck.. my surgery is on the 18th of this month.

I live in Texas and have BCBS. My husbands company put a gastric exclusion on our plan so I will be self pay :wacko:

I live in Texas and have BCBS. My husbands company put a gastric exclusion on our plan so I will be self pay :wacko:

I do not have BCBS but have AETNA and I also have the same exclusion and was self pay. I am 10 days post-op. I am from Harlingen TX.

allie.. how are you feeling??? are you glad you did it?

I hope there is not any hoops for you. I am BCBS and had to do 3 mon pcp diet monitor ( they basically had to record my weight for 3 mon) and a few other requirements. After I did all of that my vgs drs office told me BCBS was req a 2 yr weight history, had to be over BMI of 35 for 2 or more yrs. I had to wait a few months.

Best thing for you to do is call your insurance company if you want to be sure. I wish I had. Nothing I could have done about the 2yr thing but wouldn't have been planning and looking at certain dates and then SURPRISE.

Regardless, whether it's soon or 6 months, time will go fast for you!! Good luck and welcome to the life changing party! Keep us updated so we can rejoice with you!

allie.. how are you feeling??? are you glad you did it?

I am so very glad I did it. Today I was feeling weak but I think its because I haven't meet my Protein and Fluid goals last couple of days. I am trying harder today. I did manage to go to olive garden and eat 2 oz of creamy Soup. Go to GNC to purchase Isopure and even walked into marshalls for about 20-30 minutes. I am working hard mentally and physically to overcome this weakness.

Aren't you all nice to post to my thread! Thanks :) as far as insurance goes, my Nurse Pract. told me they would handle the insurance stuff. She had me send my last 5 years of recorded weight history from my pcp. So of course, I called right away and had them fax it to her. Hope she got it!! I did call BCBS and they said the surgery VSG is covered under my plan, but that I needed a written letter from my PCP stating my attempts at losing weight and his opinion for medical necessity. So he typed it up and gave it to me and I brought it to my consult appt. I hope that is all they need, but I suppose I'll have to wait and see.

So on to this battle to lose 10 lbs before surgery date. I am trying to change my eating habits (low carb, low sugar, low calorie) - I've increased my Water intake (really increased it!) and I'm trying to not drink with meals and chew slowly. This is a hard concept to put into practice, I must say. There are times in work when I am soo hungry. I truly think this is the worst of it - the pre op phase. I wish I could jump to the liquid 2 week before surgery time right now.

So I'll let you know what happens by the end of this week, as I plan to call Lahey by Thursday to see if the surgery date has been set up and if they have moved on with the insurance stuff. Thanks everyone!

I struggled with the pre-op liquid diet and I fell off the wagon a few times but overall I stuck it out and my surgeon said it really helped with shrinking my liver. That is the main reason they want you to do it and reminding myself of how it helps the surgeon made it more motivating. We all want a smooth surgery!!

What did you mean by fell off the wagon - how far did you fall? I can't imagine drinking only liquid things for two weeks - I'll have to keep my eye on the prize..

oh one more thing, I am required to attend four sessions (over four consecutive weeks) of pre-op meetings. I had to register for them and they begin on the 8th of October. I think these required sessions are a great requirement, as I imagine I will learn a lot about how to handle the physical and emotional aspect of my new "upcoming life change"! I am most nervious about envisioning all those staples holding what's left of my stomach together. That part freaks me out a bit. Anyone else feel that way?? By the way, my name is Diane (I forgot to mention that in my first post). I'm gonna upload a pic soon. Thanks so much for reading along - it helps a great deal to get responses to a my post :)