Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am very new to church and just religion in general! And, my new church recently approached the topic of the Daniel fast. I am interested in paarticipating but nervous.

I am curious if anyone here has done it as a post op patient?

I am almost two years post op so it's not like I'm a newbie so I feel like it'll be possible. But I am concerned with lack of Protein. I am not the best with meeting my daily intake goals but at least I get some in. On this fast there's no meat so I will have to be very creative with protein.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

First let me congratulate you on finding a church home. That's fantastic. Secondly, I think you will be able to do the Daniel fast. Is it a three week fast? I know when we do ours it's usually three weeks. Are you allowed to have Beans? Beans are very high in Protein and also have the added benefit that they are quite filling. In addition avocado, broccoli, spinach, brussel sprouts, corn, asparagus, cauliflower, and chick peas are all excellent sources of protein. As long as you eat plenty of veggies (which on a Daniel fast you naturally will) you shouldn't have a problem getting adequate protein. God Bless!

Thank you for the quick replies!

Also thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure how long it they will be doing it. It was just briefly mentioned today. And I came home to do some research on my own before I committed to anything. But, so far I don't really think it will cause a problem. :)

I do the fast every January. I don't know about post-op; most of the vegetables have carbs. I loved the Ezekiel bread, but I am guessing that is a no-no post surgery.

You could always go back to Protein shakes...lots of protein, low carbs. I'm debating what to do on Yom Kippur...this year will be my first, post-surgery, and that's a "hard" fast (nothing to eat or drink, from an hour before sundown to the following sundown). Fortunately, Judaism requires people to skip a fast if they need to eat/drink for health reasons. Maybe I'll just do liquids that day, and use Protein Shakes instead of eating. Lots to think about! :)

I have done the Daniel fast before (pre-op). I know Beans are allowed, those have Protein. Also nuts. I think brown rice has protein too. I think you will be fine because 1) it's not for a long amount of time to worry about muscle loss and 2) you will be eating healthy nutritious food all while growing closer to God. That's worth it to me.

The fast is 21 days. My church is starting the Daniel fast today. I too was wondering what I could eat while on the fast. I was thinking about going back to my pre-op diet, only Protein I will consume will be from Protein Shakes. You can also eat Quinoia, I think thats how you spell it, you can cook it with vegetable stock, it's a whole protein source. Love it. I am 4 months post op.

Oh fasting is brilliant - it's such a fabulous way of reminding ourselves to be grateful for all the food luxuries we have on a regular basis, and a special time to get closer to God. Perhaps make a prayer that this will be for His sake and ask protection from any possible ill effects.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app