Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Drinking Too Much 6Th Day Post-Op?

I am beginning my 6th post-op day and am on the clear liquid phase. I'm writing down what I'm drinking (cups, ozs, etc) I did some calculations and came to the conclusion that I am drinking 100-115 ozs of liquids daily.

Basically 3 - 5 cups of broth from chicken noodle Soup, 2 cups no-sugar added grape juice, 2 cups no sugar-added apple juice and 1.5 bottles of Water. I figured out most cups (coffee mugs) were 8 ozs or so.

Is this too much? My dietician said that I likely wouldn't get down 30 ozs. at first, but to force myself to a little more day to day.

Since I'm not on real food yet, I don't know if this is good or bad. I'm nervous about streching things, but am not having pain, and know liquids empty quicker than food.

Have any of you experienced the same thing?

I have been wondering the same thing about myself. Seems like I am drinking way more than I should be able too. I wonder what the max is so to speak.

They told me that long term 60 oz was minimum goal. I noticed that my sleeve feels full today after taking a Protein Soup mix. Was more filling than the broth alone. I have not noticed sleeve really feel full when drinking juices.

GoState

newbies (veterans too) should be drinking all the liquids they can after WLS - broth, popsicles and lots, and lots of Water for example - the Protein shake is great too

not sure about the juices your drinking :huh:

its great that you can get all those liquids in - drink and drink - i don't think you can drink "too" much ;)

there are people here that have trouble getting in all their fluids - example ME :ph34r:

when you drink at this early stage, your tummy might not appreciate if you drink too fast. drink slowly, "they" say - sip -

you need a minimum of 64 ounces daily - you are doing wonderfully :)

good luck

kathy

I questioned the juice, as well. I'm only allowed a maximum of 4 oz of a non-sugar added juice, and that only if diluted to 16 oz. Even with no sugar added, its way high in carbs (and those carbs are empty "fruit sugar" carbs). If you're wanting fruit flavored drinks, I would suggest switching to something like Fruit20, or another flavored, non-carbonated, Water. Other than that, there isn't a "maximum" amount of fluids you can drink...at least not that I know of....as long as you're also getting enough Protein (my rule is 75-85 grams of Protein per day).

Best of luck!

Yep- I've laid off the juices today. In the hospital, they brought me apple and grape with every meal, so I kept it up. But now, I'm just using a shot of Mott's low-sugar apple juice with my daily dose of Protonix and trying to dilute the juice more and drink less of it and more broth & flavored H2O.

Thanks for all the feedback. Come Tuesday, I get to advance to Stage 2, where I can have cream Soups, thin oatmeal, grits, mashed potatoes and refried Beans. I'm really appreciating the small things in life thanks to the pre- and post-op diets LOL! :)