Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shake Question At "full Liquids" Stage

It figures my "big" questions always come at or close to 5 on a Friday and I don't want to bother anyone at the surgeon's office if most here say it's not a biggie.

Not sure if this is a problem.

In 3 days I start pureed (OMG- cant wait for the ricotta thing!!).

So I dug out this amazing blender for Protein etc. shakes I bought years ago and whipped up a concoction- vanilla RTD shake, some greek yogurt, ice, pumpkin pie spice, tsp. of Peanut Butter and a 1/4 a banana.< /p>

It has been (haha- 2 hours later) amazing!

But... as a was gulping (for some reason liquids go down fine- I know I need to slow my roll) I tasted a piece and realized banana has these tiny pulpy seedy pieces. They were extremely fine and did get pulverized through the blender.

I had lots of it already.

The thing that freaks me out is one day this week someone said something about accumulated stuff like that getting stuck in the staple line and causing an infection.

Do you think I have anything to fear? I've been so "good."

I read about people going to soft foods almost immediately and can't understand that, however that makes me think if they "made it" doing that-- I'm probably fine???

Also, I'm not having any liquid restriction so this shake was really a lot --- since I didn't feel a need to stop how did you know when to? Calorie wise I'm still prob. around 500 a day but getting in at least the 70 grams and all liquid- easily.

Thanks for any knowledge or even if you know a place on here that explains this process a little more fully.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the blender got it liquified nicely, you will be fine. Don't fret. From now on, I would leave the bananas out though until you get in your next phase. I'm suprised you don't feel a need to stop the liquids when you get "full." Plain ol Water makes me full. lol

Many of us were on pureed before leaving hospital, and on softs within 2 weeks.

I have a theory on the difference between surgeons and I think it connects to indemnity insurance for professionals. The longer they keep you on liquids, the more likely you are to break that level of restriction and cheat or make a mistake. That then leaves you in a less secure place should something go wrong and you seek to sue.

I live in a country where suing does not happen. We are protected as a right. And here, we have this surgery and are eating real food quite quickly. And the rate of leaks or post op complications is no different to anywhere else.

So I do suspect that the fear of suing leaves some surgeons more likely to place greater or unrealistic expectations on patients post surgery.

I may be wrong. But even so, I wouldn't sweat your banana seeds!

Sent from my iPad using VST

Haha "I wouldn't sweat your banana seeds"-- sounds like a saying. Thanks!

(re: your theory, I hesitate with the "climate" of today's posts to say- Sooo I can eat a burger and fries too???) :P

Thanks Tonya too!

Haha "I wouldn't sweat your banana seeds"-- sounds like a saying. Thanks!

(re: your theory' date=' I hesitate with the "climate" of today's posts to say- Sooo I can eat a burger and fries too???) :P

Thanks Tonya too![/quote']

Sure, if you puree them!

Sent from my iPad using VST

In that case I'll take a double!

:wacko:

I don't think the banana seeds will be a problem. I have seen a recipe which calls for mashing the banana with a fork until pasty, and that certainly doesn't puree the seeds.

I have NEVER heard of bananna's having a) seeds nor B) being a problem- My post op instructions specificaly state mushed up banannas are a great source of protein- If you are worried about these so called seeds perhaps you should buy baby food banannas and mix them into your smoothie-

I'd be more worried about the calories from the Peanut Butter (and acid reflux) and the sugar from the RTD Protein and the peanut butter combined before I'd worry about a all natural bananna.... just sayin....

Well it definitely was too much to drink- and I had my first bout of being uncomfortable last night. The shake filled me from 3pm until like 10 at night.

Way too much stuff in it in general and didn't know when to stop.

As far as the ready to drink- it was a Pure Protein that has 35 grams of Protein and 2 of carbs. Is that not allowed in your program? (And just know I'm not being defensive or starting something- a bit paranoid with all I read today- coke thread..haha).

Peanut butter- agreed- that was probably the thing that pushed that much too big shake over the edge.

Like I said, that "seeds gathering at the staple line and causing an infection" someone said scared me. I tasted these tiny "chunks of seed"- I guess the middle of the banana hadn't been as finely mixed as I thought.

Well that's over and I def. won't make/drink such a big shake again. Yikes!