Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone gone camping after having surgery... It's probably a bad idea ??? Is it possible to still have a good time??? I feel bad not going with all my family and friends :(

Why would you not be able to go camping? This is a new life with a sleeve -- you should still do the same things you have always done. Those things may need careful planning and preparation but I can't see any reason why you couldn't go camping. As far as having a good time, being with friends and family should be a good time as long as everyone has the right attitude : including YOU! Do you think you will be too worried going camping? Do you think you will be too pre-occupied thinking about your life changes? I would encourage you to go and be around loved ones during such a big life change regardless of where it is!!

How far out are you? I was sleeved 6/25 and I'm going camping this weekend! I can't wait! I can't drink, of course, which stinks. I may have to bring my Magic Bullet and some special food just for myself since my mom does the shopping and packing. I was cleared to swim after 2 weeks. Sooo, I don't feel the surgery is going to restrict me too much. Only thing I'm worried about is other people commenting on what I'm eating or the fact I don't have a beer since we go with a big group of family and church friends.

I guess it depends on how serious of a camper you are... hiking and backpacking, probably kayaking/canoeing probably wouldn't be approved until 4-6 weeks, my guess.

I went camping at 4 wks out. I got dehydrated and felt terrible. I went again at 6 wks out and did great. Good luck. Just remember to drink plenty of Water.< /p>

I went camping at 2 weeks out and felt great the whole time, swam and walked and fished... I've had no problems at all sleeve of steal, been on regular food since 2 weeks, dr doesn't suggest purée stage as you eat more, rather you get full on Protein then drink down extra calories. No issues with throwing or nausea.

I've been camping now several times! And had no problems! If your hiking just remember to drink lots of Water and take it slow! As for fishing I wouldn't until your 6 weeks, just because of the pulling and weight on the line! Other then that have fun, kick back and enjoy! New life journey, explore and be happy!

When were you sleeved? You definitely want to stay hydrated, but other than that, I can't see why not!

Go for it. The exercise will help you feel better

Thank you everyone!!! My surgery is scheduled for aug 7th and our camping trip is aug 10-12... Everyone is telling me to reschedule my surgery, but I don't want to do that. I would rather reschedule camping but everyone already got those days off work and made reservations @camp ground. :) I had lapband placed 5 years ago and dr Zane is going to try to remove it and do the sleeve. Hopefully I don't have to much scar tissue around the band, or else he told me to wait one year. :(

Surgery and your health comes first! Thankfully due to your sleeve you are going to have many opportunities to go camping and hiking etc.. in the future! That is one of the things that I am looking forward to the most. I want to be able to go on 5 mile hikes with my hubby and be able to keep up. I have not been sleeved yet, but hope to schedule during Christmas holidays as I am a teacher. By the way, is this camping trip in an RV with a comfy bed? If it is go for it! You can lay around in the RV just as well as you can at home. Good luck! ;)

Having been a nurse I must admit I am a little concerned. I hope the campground is not too far from home and I sure hope you are not here in the hot balmy south! Sweat and drain tubes not a good thing! I would be a little concerned about infection. Please be careful! Best of luck sweetie!

I'm going to ask how long I'm supposed to have the drains in? I live in Los Angeles about 1 hour driving to go camp grounds. My biggest worry is the diarrhea , they say you get it until about 2-3 weeks ? :(

Good luck sweetie! I don't know if you are a spiritual person or not, but I will say a prayer on your behalf! ;)

I wish I could tell you to go but (and of course this is my opinion) 3 days after surgery you should be at home. You will barely be comfortable in your own bed. Some even sleep on a couch or recliner for the first week or two. I'm just worried you will be miserable and may even risk your health if you go. I do wish you the very best in your decision!!

(((Hugs)))