Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. So I had my endoscopy this morning. Im going to make this short because I'm a bit drugged up still. Well my appointment was at 8 and I didn't have the procedure done until almost 12- bad enough. Everything was going okay and I was told I would be given a sedative but I would not be totally asleep. I was confused because eveything ive read about the endoscopy most people say they are asleep. So it started and they gave me drugs in my IV and at first I felt GREAT- relaxed and good. But it wasn't enough so they gave me a bit more- twice. Finally they were satisfied with the amount. I was on my side and wasn't completely out of it but I was nicely drugged. Well they sart the procedure and i feel he scope and I started gagging. It was bad. The nurse was holding me from the back because I was gagging so much, I had tears comin down. And I was burping like crazy out at the DR. It was quite gross. It didn't hurt- but I was so scared I was gonna puke. And the drugs were wearing off at this point so I could feel the scope around in my tummy- again didn't hurt but just uncomfortable and crampy.

Has this happened to anyone before where you are awake? It wasn't terrible but not what I was expecting after reading other peoples experiences.

Omg no. I was told the same thing that I wouldn't be completely asleep. But I've had 3 done and font remember a single thing much less feel anything. So sorry :( at least it's over!

Holy crap this just scared the snot out of me...

I have to schedule the endoscopy and I'm worrying about the same thing. I hope to be knocked out, but now I'm wondering if they'll keep me awake too. Well anyways- congratulations on one more step of the process being done!

-Bubbles

So sorry to scare you Bronxbubbles! I really think I was not the norm because even the people in the recovery room w me after seemed A LOT more drugged then me. Maybe I have a high tolerance for medication, I dont know but I sure as Hell am going I to make sure I stress to my surgeon that I was conscious and aware for this so he makes sure im under for surgery. Now I have this whole new fear of being awake for surgery or something.

Trying to save money. There is no way in HELL I would have done this awake. The only reason one lady next to me had to be awake is because she didn't bring someone to drive her home. They were very strict about that.

Don't worry. You will not be awake for surgery.

I have had 2 of them in my life and I was put to sleep for both of them.

I was awake for all of mine ( I have had 3-- but I had plenty of versed and fentanyl. that's very odd that you had such a rough time with this. Usually this procedure is a breeze. (I am a nurse)

I would get a second opinion about this - I think at least you should not have to pay for the services of whoever botched this up.

wow...I had my first one last week and it was easy-peasy. I was asleep the whole time. This SUCKS that you had that experience. You have to be your own advocate but I would NOT let this situation go unattended, IMO. That probably was scary as hell...:(

Holy smokes! Are you by chance a redhead? I hear it takes more to sedate redheads and that they have a lower threshhold for pain. I know it usually takes 2 full doses of novacain when I go to the dentist for major work. Scares him to death when I tell him I can still feel it after the first one.

I tend to think I have a pretty high tollerance for pain, but yet I don't go looking for it so I can compare to others. :) SO glad that's over for you. I think you're smart to make SURE your surgeon knows what happened. That just doesn't sound right at all. (My surgeon said I would be asleep. So if I'm still able to communicate while I'm in there, I'll be making sure they know it.)

I agree with the redhead thing. While not a total redhead, I have lots of natural red streaks & freckles. Novocaine does nothing for me unless you up the dosage. Unfortunately, found out that lidocaine is useless as well during a lumpectomy! So far,knock on wood, have never had a problem during surgeries.

I had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy at the same time once and was awake and aware the whole time. I kept waiting to fall asleep or something but no such luck. I remember every moment of the whole thing! Not pleasant! But don't worry, you will not be awake for surgery. They use a whole different set of drugs.

I was told that I wouldn't be completely out but I don't remember anything. They did tell me they kept having to put me further under because I was fighting the scope. Sorry you had such a scary time.

Glad my hubby works from home....they can knock my happy a$$ out for all I care. :)

I was out :) I have a serious gagging problem, so they wanted me totally out.