Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are All Laxatives Created Equal?

I'm still having trouble off and on in *that area* and really do not understand laxatives and how the work differently from each other. Can anyone explain the similarities and differences in Miralax powder, a stool softener pill, a laxative suppository, a laxative pill, and milk of magnesia.

The boxes say to not use them for more than a week, but if my surgeon told me to keep using them (he specifically said Miralax), what's the risk?

I'm doing miralax on a every otherr day basis - pretty much everyone in my Dr's support group uses it to keep things regular, especially when eating so little. My understanding is that Miralax is very gentle. I put it in my Water at night.

Thank you Karen. Do you have a time frame in mind for doing that?

Am I the only one that drinks Prune juice when it's needed?

Man that stuff works! Prune juice-prune juice out! Easy as that! I also make sure and drink my Water.

Good luck!

You can use Miralax for quite a while, many people stay on a dose a day as regular maintenance for Constipation. I have been using milk of magnesia but I'm 7 weeks out now and I should switch to miralax or prune juice. This post was good as it reminded me.

I believe Miralax is safe long term. My son (who's 15) was prescribed Miralax for everyday use by a gastroenterologist. It works great for me too. Before surgery I was totally regular, but now I need a little help. :)

Thank you all for your replies. I did some research and found this out: (I added my own thoughts in blue)

The most common type of laxative is the bulk producing laxative (Fiber Choice, Benefiber, Citrucel, and Metamucil) and it is also the most natural and gentle one. Bulk producing laxative is a slow acting laxative that causes the stool to expand (UMMM NO THANK YOU)and retain more Water. This makes the intestines contract and induce a bowel movement. Some bulk forming laxatives are Guar gum, psyllium and methyl cellulose. Some side effects of these laxatives are bloating, stomach cramps, breathing difficulty and stomach ache. Bulk producing laxatives should always be taken with plenty of Water and fluids should be drunk throughout the day.

Some types of laxatives like stimulant laxative (castor oil, ducolax, Exlax and Fleet) contains an irritant that stimulates or irritates the lining of the bowel that causes contractions. Some stimulant laxative preparations are cascara, buckthorn, senna extract, aloe vera, microlax and dulcolax. These are very fast acting laxatives but they cause side effects like severe dehydration, diarrhea, stomach cramps and possible allergic reactions. Overuse of stimulant laxatives may also lead to a phenomenon known as lazy bowel movement, that makes a person unable to have bowel movement without the use of laxatives.

Osmotic laxative and(Miralax and Milk of Magnesia) saline laxatives (Colace) are prescribed by medical practitioners and chemists. These laxatives absorb water into the small intestine, creating bulk and pressure which stimulates contractions. They turn the stool present in the large intestine into diarrhea, which makes it easier for the stool to pass. The biggest risk of using osmotic laxatives is that it can cause severe dehydration and depletion of essential electrolytes which disrupts the body's pH balance. It can also cause bloating, gas build up as well as cramping. Examples of osmotic and saline laxatives include milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide), sorbitol and lactulose.

Stool softeners and lubricants are a type of laxative, that allow fluids to combine with stool, making it easier for the stool to be expelled from the system. The lubricants works by coating the stools and the bowel walls with a water resistant film. Stool softeners and lubricants should only be used with a high amount of water and Fluid intake. They are usually recommended for people who suffer from occasional incidents of Constipation and for people who suffer from pain while passing firm stool. Stool softener side effects include severe dehydration and diarrhea.

from: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/types-of-laxatives.html

Am I the only one that drinks Prune juice when it's needed?

Man that stuff works! Prune juice-prune juice out! Easy as that! I also make sure and drink my Water.

Good luck!

How quick does it work? Does it cause any cramping? I really hate to ask this and you don't have to answer, but does it make your stool soft and thin or does it "bulk it up"?

It usually only takes about an hour. So make sure your close to a toilet. I only use it at home.

No cramping, but when it hits it happens fast. It makes it kinda watery, but it moves the bulk too. Very quick relief. About 6 ounces is plenty.