Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I have been pursuing WLS surgery for 4 1/2 years. I had just finished my 6 month requirements and tests when I lost my job and insurance. Three years later I got new insurance and started the process over. I again just finished all my tests and was about to meet the surgeon and submit the paperwork when I was diagnosed with stage 3b Colon Cancer. That put a roadblock into proceeding further. I had colon resection sugery and did 12 rounds of chemo treatment. On May 15th I had my first CT scan since I finished chemo and it was clear, so I was given the go ahead to continue on with my journey. They only made me repeat a few necessary tests, then submitted my paperwork to my insurance and they approved me right away! I can't say enough good things about BCBS, they were excellent during my cancer journey, never denying anything, then encouraging me to continue on with this journey.

My surgery is scheduled for July 31st! I go July 26th to meet with my surgeon, Dr.Hill, who will also be taking out my gallbladder at the same time as my surgery. I am very excited for my next chapter to finally be here!

very excited for my next chapter

daring2dream

wow, you have gone through so much. i'm sorry you had CA needing chemo,, et al, dealing with many things. :mellow:

great news that your CT scan is now clear.

proceeding now to a new and better life

So glad BCBS was wonderful taking care of the important paperwork, approving you quickly.

great that insurance encouraged you to contine your journey with the sleeve. :)

you are now at the beginning of your long journey to being healthier, and happier.

We all say that the sleeve is a "tool" to help us with our weightloss.

There are many "rules" we must follow to help us lose the weight with the help of our new sleeve, and then keep the weight off through eternity

Great that insurance company to go ahead with your plans for the sleeve.

Before you know it WLS will arrive . :rolleyes:best wishes for pending surgery

good luck

stay well

kathy

Hi Likasulema!

I feel that it was all apart of the journey I was supposed to have. When I first started researching WLS 4 years ago I was interested in the lapband. I am so glad that I didn't have that done! I was preparing for the sleeve when I was diagnosed...I had lost 30lbs. and was much stronger. I had surgery one week after diagnosis. I healed great because of my preperation for WLS and the surgeon was able to do it laprascopic. I wasn't freaked out about it because I had been preparing for this surgery and swapped it out in my mind! I'm not sure that the cancer was even real to me until a week after surgery when the Dr, told me I was stage 3b and had to have chemo.

I know this is a tool that I am going to have to put all the hard work into. I know it will not be easy, but am determined to be successful!

Today is my second day since surgery I feel great!!! I am sitting outside enjoying the fresh air. Some discomfort when drinking other than that :)

Thinwithin, congratulations on your surgery and I am so glad you are feeling so well! Enjoy the beautiful day!

Amazing story! I am so happy you can finally have your surgery and really live your life. You're truly deserving. I'm headed for surgery a few days before you. Good luck and keep us updated.

Thank you milkD, I really do believe that it worked out how it was supposed to be...good luck on your up coming surgery as well. I will be looking forward to your updates!