Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I'm sitting here finishing off my 2nd teaspoon of lentil Soup and going on 50 minutes. I had to reheat my food 3x in the last 50 minutes because I have to eat so slow. I am still more thankful than when I was admitted after surgery. My doc had to fix my hernia. HOLY BATMAN........I had no idea how much pain I could feel in that specific area. I wanted to die. I am happy to say the only discomfort I feel is at the top fo the stomach where my last few staples were put in. I count my blessings. On day 6, I was able to lay in my own bed and lay on my side the entire night. Also, today when I got on the scale and I dropped 19 lbs in 10 days, that made me feel a lot of comfort and peace about having had surgery.

As for my surgery, I did not engage this procedure. My cardiologist did. I had never thought about having weight loss surgery before. I was at 246 and my doctor said I was on my way to have a heart attack. Two months later, I am sitting in pre-op with my hair cap on, my hospital gown and IV ready to be wheeled into the OR. It took them 3 hours to wake me up from anesthisia and I was immediately admitted for pain control. Swallowing my saliva felt like a boulder with a million nails sticking ouf of it. I have never felt more pain, than that hernia that he had to fix. Did anyone else feel that?

Hi makeupartist80. So sorry to read of all your pain. I had pain and nausea initially, but nothing like what you are describing. At 13 days out myself, I'm getting liquids down with ease. Don't worry, soon you will too. ;) Your weight loss is fantastic, however!

Hi Carla,

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I am much happier now that I don't have that hernia pain anymore. Congrats on your weight loss so far. Keep it up :)

I had hernia repair, adhesions and I had a serious complication because the anesthesiologist dropped my esophagus tube down into my stomach right as the surgeon was doing his 2nd to last staple. The tube was then stapled between the stomach. After almost 2 hours of surgery already, it took an addition 5 hours to find a way to un-staple the esophageal tube without trying to mess up my esophagus.

I'm 5 weeks out on Monday and I still have pain and brusing. I went into the surgery 100% dedicated. My cardiologist and pulmonologist and neurologist were all for the surgery. I still hurt, I'm still only on full liquids.

I would still do it again, though I would make sure I didn't have a moron for an anesthesiologist.

Good luck, it does get better every single day. I'm not dying in pain, but I hurt, but with all my issues, I'm sort of used to pain lol.

Oh honey that is awful. I am so sorry to hear that. Please keep me posted. I am able to put down baby food, scrambled egg, lentil Soup and will be working on a three kidney bean salad tomorrow.

Hey Mimi,

I'm in the exact same boat as you! I had also never considered weight loss surgery, but as an insulin dependent diabetic with out of control blood sugar my endorinologist said if I didn't have this surgery I could have serious complications by the time I was 40. That scared me to death and like you, I was undergoing surgery before I had a chance for it to really soak in as to what was really happening. Once in there, the surgeon repaired a hiatal hernia that I didn't even know I had and OH MY GOD!! I really think that is what's giving me the most trouble in this healing process...

I'm doing great, the pain is normal for someone who had such extensive adhesions and hernia and the complication.

I am not stuck on Full Liquids because of the pain or complications, this is what my doctor's office has for all his patients. The do not want to risk a leak and err on the side of caution. On Monday I go. I can only get down at the most 1/4 cup of Soup and often times not even that much. I can get down 1/2 of a small dannon light & fit or healthy & whatever yogurt. I just keep craving pickles and tuna. I cannot wait for Purees and on Monday they better advance me lol. :)

Did you have the hernia repaired at the same time your sleeve was done? I'm also having a hernia repair when i get my sleeve, and I'm a bit concerned about the recovery with the dual procedure.

Initially I was planning on using using my vacation time and returning to work a week after surgery, but not I'm wondering if I should take longer and go on short-term disability. This has me stumped, so I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Wishing you a pain free recovery!

Misty, I'm thankful that you shared this with me. You see I feel almost like I had this big gift handed to me and like you mentioned, I'm barely had a chance to soak it in. Now 10 days out and i can't remember any of my support groups, nutritional class that I attended. So this site is a huge blessing. I thank you for also sharing about the sonic ice on the other forum. I will try that giant 44 oz next time I'm out.

Slenderella, don't hesitate. As much as it was the MOST awful pain I've ever experienced, it had to be done. Otherwise, when you loose all your weight you will have complications with it. Let me encourage you and say that my roommate woke me up every 3 hours to take more pain meds. Stay ahead of the pain. The first week is hell but you will get through it :) another thing that asked my doc for was something for anti nausea. I took it before the liquid pain killer because I get sick of I take something strong on an empty belly. We are all here for you!!!!

Yes, I had mine done at the same time. Luckily I am a teacher and off for the summer because there is NO WAY that I could have gone back to work after a week. Even 3 weeks out, I know I couldn't work right now.

Hey Mimi,

I'm in the exact same boat as you! I had also never considered weight loss surgery, but as an insulin dependent diabetic with out of control blood sugar my endorinologist said if I didn't have this surgery I could have serious complications by the time I was 40. That scared me to death and like you, I was undergoing surgery before I had a chance for it to really soak in as to what was really happening. Once in there, the surgeon repaired a hiatal hernia that I didn't even know I had and OH MY GOD!! I really think that is what's giving me the most trouble in this healing process...

Hey you I'm diabetic too! I got off the insulin when I lost the 44 lbs on my own and just came off 1/2 my oral meds right out of surgery. I hope I come off the other 1/2 really really soon!

Misty,

I too had the hernia that was discovered during the surgery. I don't think that caused me more pain, but the gas pain.....holy cow! I'm at 11 days out. Doing a lot better, but looking forward not drinking all my meals. I don't get to very soft foods until next Wednesday.

I haven't been sleeved yet but I had a hernia repair 5 yrs and the pain omg the pain the nerves where they had to fix the hernia was just hurtful now five yrs later I have another hernia and I I could think about how painful it was he first time and I had gas pains

ebonisekim-

I hear ya. The pain was too much. Make sure you get it taken care of if you need to. That's nothing to mess around with.

Init4me,

I had surgery the 27th of June. I'm eating lentil Soup, go-gurt yogurt, sf Popsicles, and baby foods. Try that.