Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling No Restriction Had Vsg June 7Th

Hi Everyone- I am new to the forum as I joined before having surgery on June 7th to see other people's stories and experiences with the surgery as I was still trying to decide what surgery to have. I too like so many others have battled with my weight all my life; 1st diet was when I was in the fourth grade (no kiddin) and lost allot as I entered high school, gained it back after high school, then lost allot and kept it off longer 10+ years then medical issues kicked in and I gained it all back and then was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and pre diabetes.

I couldn't imagine living my life like this and was so tired of battling with my weight and continue to have health issues as a result of my weight. So I thought I was being proactive in trying to better my health and I thought this surgery would be a tool like it is suppose to be but I have felt NO restriction, none, natta, zip. I don't drink 30 minutes before or after I eat. I have read that liquid goes right through people which makes sense but since last Thursday I was moved to the next phase of the diet. I have eaten a scrambled egg, a hard boiled egg, 2 oz of tuna, greek yogurt, a peice of cheese and a slice of FF turkey rolled together, 1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese and I think that is all I have tried so far (of course at different times and not all at once:) I have felt NO restriction with any of these foods either. Has anyone else experienced this? I am at a loss. I hope I have not gone through all of this for nothing *sigh*. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

what size of bougie did your surgeon use? that is weird that you don't feel any restriction, I'm out 3 years and still can't fit more then 6 oz of food down there without feeling like i'm going to die. . . strange. . .find out more about your size, mine was 28/30F

Well I had surgery June 4th and I'm still on liquids.

You are saying you hope you have not gone through all of this for nothing...Are you keeping track on myfitnesspal.com of how many calories and how much Protein, carbs & liquid you are getting in?

Are you eating as much as you would before surgery? Have you lost anything at all? I imagine you have lost some weight, so any pounds lost is not a failure.

It is up to you to not put the wrong food in your mouth still and by looking at what you are eating, you are doing what you are suppose to be doing. The sleeve is a tool. You are lucky you aren't feeling sick or restrictions by eating those foods. But you are mentioning 2 ounces of tuna. That's not a lot. A Greek Yogurt, again not a lot.

If you ate a scrambled egg, a hardboiled egg 2 ounces of tuna and a greek yogurt, all at once, then you got some sort of issue there to worry about and then you should be worrying about the restriction issue. Eating one of these at a time without drinking for at least 1/2 hour afterwards, and you are doing great is wonderful.

Take this time while you are just learning to eat to chew your food and maybe stop worrying about what restrictions you should be feeling. After being on the diet roller coaster for as long as you have been, you know what you should and shouldn't be eating, and you know how much is too much. Trust me, try eating 2 hardboiled eggs and cottage cheese and the restriction will hit you like a two ton heavy thing and you will realize the truth of the sleeve. (don't try to eat 2 hardboiled eggs at once..I was being facetious.

I think you are doing well. I went from 330-128 and then gained it back. We both know what the issues is, we need to keep on moving....a lot and we need to up our Protein, keep lower carbs and most of this is still mental. Try some positive thoughts and maybe someone else will have more advise for you.

Good luck

Are you tall? I have heard that the stomach is longer in a taller person, and also the bougie size is a factor in how much the new smaller stomach can hold.

When I went to pureed/soft foods I felt some restriction (but not much) with 4 ounces. Your intake (2 oz) seems too small to me, and I am barely 5 feet tall and the doctor used a 32 bogie.

Once I got to solids, then I felt real restriction, an almost urgent uncomfortable fullness, and if I ate a bite or two too much, I might have to go for a walk to let it settle in, or worse vomit.

I wouldn't overly worry about whether you are feeling restriction at this point, you can test it out gently to see what works for you, and I have heard when you are fully healed and say 6 months down the road, you may be able to tolerate over a cup of food at a sitting.

You are losing weight...that is the point of this surgery, and we are all different. Give it time, and hopefully you will find just the right serving size so that you feel full, but are not eating too many calories.

Good luck!!

I'm confused as to why you don't feel constriction if you haven't been sleeved? Have you been sleeved? So sorry that I am confused.

Ok, I see you have been sleeved on June 7. Sometimes you won't feel any constriction if your on the liquid phase of the diet. When you start eating foods that are more denser, you will probably feel some constriction. It will happen, and CONGRATS on your successful sleeve surgery. :) Sorry about the confusion before. :wub:

I didn't feel any restriction at first with the small amounts of food either. Same with yogurt, which is sort of like a liquid - I don't get restriction with that 1/4 cup equals two ounces so that's not that much food, but my NUT had me on 1/4th cup to start for the first week or so and then gradually increasing to 1/2 cup. She doesn't want me to eat any more than 3/4 cup of food total at any meal. I would imagine, however, that once you graduate up to a larger quantity, maybe even at 1/2 cup of something (not liquid), you will feel the restriction. Believe me, you'll know it when you feel it. The foods you are eating are not very dense either so they will process better (at least for most people they do). I could probably eat a whole cup of cottage cheese, but I don't because of the carb content in that food, so I keep it at 1/2 cup which still gives me plenty of Protein. I also eat it for a snack instead of with a meal. But that's just me. I believe that the first true restriction that I felt was with grilled tilapia. Even though it is soft, I tried to a fairly nice size piece and about 3/4 through, wham, I got this tightening in my stomach and I burped. For me burping is the signal that I am through. Everyone has their own way of knowing when they should finish by the change in their body. You'll figure this out as time goes on. I can tell you that the "one bite too many" feeling is not pleasant, so maybe you'll be fortunate and not have that happen. You are doing everything right by following the plan your doctor has you on at just over two weeks out, so don't worry if you're not feeling restriction yet. Good luck!

Thank you all for your replies. After reading so many posts that said people felt full after 3 or 4 bites it made me a bit nervous that something wasn't right.

To thinoneday...the bougie my surgeon used was 38 which from the comparisons of the bougie sizes that someone posted on this forum still isn't that big.

To Katie713...I am 5'1" (wish I were tall:) Thank you for your reply and explaining how you felt little restriction after eating 4 ounces and that you felt restriction with solids. I was just worried that something was wrong because I haven't even felt that full feeling. Hoping it will be a success...I have followed everything to the letter and committed to being healthy once again.

To Dorrie Robles...It sounds like the denser the food the more you feel the restriction, I just thought I would feel something with what I have tried so far. Thanks for the Congrats.

To Newfoundlove....Thank you so much. It sounds like you had a similar experience with your sleeve at the beginning. I thought maybe with the tuna I tried I would feel something because it is a little denser. What your NUT told you makes sense about not going over 3/4 of a cup. Eventually I will eat cottage cheese as a snack:) Right now I was trying to work some of the foods into my day along with a few Protein shakes to make sure I hit my Protein requirement. Thank you for your post made me feel better knowing I am not the only one that hasn't felt restriction with the foods that I have tried so far.

Reminder: this thread is from 2012 so previous posters may not respond with any updates; therefore, you may want to start a new post on this topic.

It is not uncommon to not feel restriction right after surgery while you're on a liquid, purée, or soft food diet. Try not to depend on restriction to moderate consumption; instead, measure/weigh your food and follow your surgeon's post-op plan. In time, I expect you'll feel some restriction with dense Protein but again you need to not rely on it to determine your portion sizes. Good luck!