Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Ever Be Able To....

Drink out of a straw?

Eat regular foods? I mean...I NEVER want to be a compulsive over-eater again, and I have not cheated once since my surgery (May 21st), but I was just wondering, for example, let's say I want two french fries one day. Will it make me sick?

Have caffeine? I know my pop days are over. I can deal with that. However, I like my coffee in the morning. I don't go overboard. I usually drink 1 cup. Decaf coffee is gross. I want my one cup of coffee with my tablespoon of vanilla Creamer again. Is that too much to ask?

Is sugar off limits forever???

What about alcohol? Beer, wine, mixed drink? Anything?

Will I EVER have to stop obssessing about getting in my required Protein???

Will there ever be a time that I can get my Protein from food rather than these damn Protein shakes. Right now I'm on lean meats, yogurt, cheese, etc...but I can only tolerate an ounce of food at a time, so the protein I get from these foods is very small and I still have to supplement with shakes.< /p>

The old adage that "time heals all wounds" rings true here.

Give it time and you will be back to coffee w/ cremer and even a few fries. Most sleevers find that a few months post-op or in maintenance, they can indulge in whatever they like- in reduced quantities of course.

Sounds like you are venting, still in mushies and such. I totally understand. When you are cleared for "normal" foods, things will slowly return to a new normal and then you can start venturing outside the realm of Protein shakes and pureeds.

Hang tight and follow your post-op.... You will be eating some normal things in no time.

Yes, Yes, Yes but you won't want to waste calories on sugary things!, Yes, No Protein will be our #1 concern for quite a while it seems and Yes! I am 5mo. I can eat pretty much anything but many of my tastes for food have changed and the amt. of food to satisfy my wants has really changed it takes very little to satisfy a craving hope it will always be so! Good Luck!

I can't believe it's only been 4 months for me being sleeved. It seems like a year ago! I drink out of a straw quite a bit.....yet don't do it all day long. I eat sweets rarely. That was my downfall. Fortunately, they sorta hurt my tummy now. But a small bite now and then won't kill you. You need to wait a year for alcohol. I have a friend who is 3 yrs out and she can only sip on a margarita and will not finish it.

I have a cup of coffee every morning/w caffine and steamed milk. However, I wait at least 30 mins after I've had my egg so I don't wash away my Protein.

Protein is a big problem for me. The best thing for me to do is track it on a phone app, "Lose It". I do get around 60 grams a day in regular food for protein. I probably eat a hamburger once a week with the top bun off. I can't eat the whole thing.....but it makes me feel so normal to be able to eat it.

I was never told no straw or caffeine. So have used them from day one. One cup of coffee in the morning. I use equal but a little sugar in moderation won't hurt. Just add it into your daily calories and carbs. And my dr said I could have a drink. I drink jack so flat coke zero and a shot (75 calories or So) and I'm a happy girl. This is a lifestyle change to teach us moderation. Not to completely hold us down. It gets easier.

I had a couple of fries over the weekend. You know what? I didn't like them. I felt like I was wasting precious stomach space on crap calories. And they didn't taste all that great and they didn't feel all that great. So there's really no point in eating them.

It's funny how you don't really miss something once you realize it doesn't sit well on your stomach. I can't eat bacon. When I tried, I was sick for 3 days. Now? I just don't care. That's not to say that it doesn't smell REALLY GOOD when someone else in the house makes it. But when it's offered to me? eh, don't want it.

try a small cup of coffee and add a vanilla Protein shake.It is soo good. I get my caffine and my protein and I don't need sweetener because the shake makes it sweet. I swear I love it!

Everyone is different about what they can and can not eat after surgery. At almost two years out I eat the same diet as I did before surgery, just much smaller portions. Nothing bothers me...spice, bread, rice, potatoes.

But I have not had one soda nor eaten at my favorite hamburger place - In N Out Burger since surgery.

Saying all this - I eat way to much slider foods and have gained back about 9 pounds from my lowest from eating more often. BAD BAD My advice - stick to a healthy diet and don't try foods just to see if you can tolerate them. This surgery is what you make of it. Stay away from trouble and do not wish you can have what you had before.

My Breakfast is usually caffine free vanilla latte I make at home. I use a straw with drinks now. I am still a oenophile and have an occasional bubbly. Moderation in everthing. I get drunk very quickly. One glass is my limit and generally after one glass I will not drive.

HUGS - I love my sleeve and have no regrets

I'm 5 months post-op and I've been drinking coffee (regular - I dont like decaf) from 2 months post-op. I just cant live without my coffee. My doc did not object - just told me to make sure I have small quantities at a time. I drink two full cups daily once in the morning and once in the evening. No problems. :)

Drink out of a straw?

Eat regular foods? I mean...I NEVER want to be a compulsive over-eater again' date=' and I have not cheated once since my surgery (May 21st), but I was just wondering, for example, let's say I want two french fries one day. Will it make me sick?

Have caffeine? I know my pop days are over. I can deal with that. However, I like my coffee in the morning. I don't go overboard. I usually drink 1 cup. Decaf coffee is gross. I want my one cup of coffee with my tablespoon of vanilla creamer again. Is that too much to ask?

Is sugar off limits forever???

What about alcohol? Beer, wine, mixed drink? Anything?

Will I EVER have to stop obssessing about getting in my required Protein???

Will there ever be a time that I can get my Protein from food rather than these damn protein shakes. Right now I'm on lean meats, yogurt, cheese, etc...but I can only tolerate an ounce of food at a time, so the protein I get from these foods is very small and I still have to supplement with shakes.[/quote']

I use straws everyday. I never stopped caffine I eat what I want but very selective. I still have an occational muscle milk cause i like the taste and i use it as a Meal Replacement I drink alcohol (vodka). I have no limits. In time you will get there too. It's a new life but doesn't have to be as bad as it appears in the beginning. Hell I have soda on occasion! I'm going to still live my life the fun way. I'm just now more educated on what to put into my body. I'm doing all this along with plenty of Water and exercise and still shedding the pounds.

Yes, Yes, Yes but you won't want to waste calories on sugary things!, Yes, No Protein will be our #1 concern for quite a while it seems and Yes! I am 5mo. I can eat pretty much anything but many of my tastes for food have changed and the amt. of food to satisfy my wants has really changed it takes very little to satisfy a craving hope it will always be so! Good Luck!

that sounds sooo awesome!

I have a cup that I make Water with Mio in daily and it has a straw that I use. I eat pretty much whatever I want, just smaller portions as others have said. I have had alcohol a few times, keep a case of diet caffeine free soda here and have one a couple of times a week, and, in general, eat regular food for my meals. If I'm going to the gym early in the day, then I'll have a Protein bar for Breakfast. If not, then I have an egg and a piece of sausage for Breakfast.< /p>

I don't feel like I'm "on a diet". This is just my new reality and I like it. :) Being down 100 pounds and looking better in my clothes helps a lot, too! :)

I also just bought myself a Keurig (part of my Century Club gift to myself) and I've been enjoying my Decaf coffee and tea from it.

I talked to Dr. Lavin in Louisiana and a couple other surgeons in the US a couple of days ago and he/they said the idea of carbonated beverages stretching your sleeve is nonsense and an old wives tale. They said they may make you belch or have reflux but in the quanties you can drink with a sleeve no stretching. I wondered if they said it b/c of the empty calories in soft drinks and beer.

I have a cup that I make Water with Mio in daily and it has a straw that I use. I eat pretty much whatever I want' date=' just smaller portions as others have said. I have had alcohol a few times, keep a case of diet caffeine free soda here and have one a couple of times a week, and, in general, eat regular food for my meals. If I'm going to the gym early in the day, then I'll have a Protein bar for breakfast. If not, then I have an egg and a piece of sausage for breakfast.

I don't feel like I'm "on a diet". This is just my new reality and I like it. :) Being down 100 pounds and looking better in my clothes helps a lot, too! :)

I also just bought myself a Keurig (part of my Century Club gift to myself) and I've been enjoying my Decaf coffee and tea from it.[/quote']

I just had to say this Lissa... I love your new pic. It's beautiful. You look wonderful :-)

The old adage that "time heals all wounds" rings true here.

Give it time and you will be back to coffee w/ cremer and even a few fries. Most sleevers find that a few months post-op or in maintenance, they can indulge in whatever they like- in reduced quantities of course.

Sounds like you are venting, still in mushies and such. I totally understand. When you are cleared for "normal" foods, things will slowly return to a new normal and then you can start venturing outside the realm of Protein shakes and pureeds.

Hang tight and follow your post-op.... You will be eating some normal things in no time.

Thank you for understanding KaliCat. You are right. I was venting. I have been drinking most of my Protein for over a month and it is just getting so tiresome. It is hard to do anything fun when you have to tote a cooler full of protein everywhere you want to go. lol