Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Zumba...a Lil' Disappointed

I went to my first Zumba class tonight and I was SO excited. Ive seen all the ads on TV for it and have heard how much a lot of people LOVE it. Well, I felt like a complete fool. 1st of all, going by myself kinda sucked. 2nd, I didnt realize quite how UN-coordinated I am, lol. I had absolutely NO idea what was going on 90% of the time. It totally kicked my ass though, which is good. I was going to do some extra cardio after the class, but had to go home because I was sooo whipped. For Zumba lovers, will this get better for me? How long did it take you to get all the steps down?

Also, a kind of NSV, I was able to beat the helliptical yesterday by doing 10 minutes, lol. Before my best time was 6 mins :)

I love zumba. After the 2nd or 3rd class i had a majority of the moves down. my instructor changed it up a bit so there was always a song i was unfamiliar with. it will get better! keep it up!!!! :D

I've never done Zumba but wow I just wanted to tell you GREAT JOB!!! Keep working it, you'll get the moves down eventually. You're burning some serious calories and really that's all that matters... that and having fun doing it. :)

LilMissDiva, every time I see your before and after picture, I am just in awe of your success. You've lost more than half of your original body weight. You look terrific and are an inspiration to me and others.

MKambalimath, I think it is wonderful that you went. I've been meaning to go to Zumba myself but have been chicken that I will be lost and look ridiculous too, but you know what? Let's not care what anyone else thinks. Let's go and have fun and burn calories. I'm sure we will catch on after a few classes.

Zumba rocks, it does get better, once you get familiar with the moves you will feel better about it. Trust me no one probably noticed, I was always to into my own moves to be checking out anyone else's. Keep up the good work.

I am in class with people who have rhythm and learn the choreography like no one's business. Others are just flailing around. Then others (like me!) Are somewhere in between. LOL. All of us are having a BALL and burning serious calories.

My Zumba instructor tells us to find a couple of moves we can do that when we get lost we can just do that to keep moving. So when they get to turning and spinning and whatever, I do a samba or cha cha and keep it moving.

Stick with it! I promise it gets better. Then you'll find yourself doing routines at your desk at work. Or maybe that's just me. LOL

I tried it a few years ago and was so lost I didn't go back. Then I got a pass to try Zumba at the place next to my gym. I went this morning and LOVED it. I can't wait to go back once I'm cleared after surgery.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I LOVE Zumba! After a while you lose yourself in the music. Just keep moving and don't forget to have fun. Sometimes I find myself making my own adjustments if I can't get a move. :D

OMG I just tried a class last night, yes my first and I didn't know I was this uncoordinated either. It went by so fast, IDK if they are all like this, but jeesh louise it was a CHALLENGE!

Girl at least you are trying and that's the main thing. Forget anyone that thinks anything less of you - at least you are OFF OF THE COUCH!

Additionally, I couldn't do 5 mins at first on the "helliptical" lol... but this morning I did 50 some odd minutes. Start slow and work a couple of minutes up every couple of weeks (i.e. 5 mins this week, next week 7.. etc). All it takes is the decision to JUST DO IT. You've made the hardest part happen - just stick to it and in time, you'll surprise yourself.

Best of luck!

Oh and can you come up for a name for the stair master? That mug kills me and I've got a date with the stinker tomorrow morning.

OMG I just tried a class last night' date=' yes my first and I didn't know I was this uncoordinated either. It went by so fast, IDK if they are all like this, but jeesh louise it was a CHALLENGE!

Girl at least you are trying and that's the main thing. Forget anyone that thinks anything less of you - at least you are OFF OF THE COUCH!

Additionally, I couldn't do 5 mins at first on the "helliptical" lol... but this morning I did 50 some odd minutes. Start slow and work a couple of minutes up every couple of weeks (i.e. 5 mins this week, next week 7.. etc). All it takes is the decision to JUST DO IT. You've made the hardest part happen - just stick to it and in time, you'll surprise yourself.

Best of luck!

Oh and can you come up for a name for the stair master? That mug kills me and I've got a date with the stinker tomorrow morning.[/quote']

How about stink master? Lol!

Or stair murderer!

OMG jhansen those are BOTH perfect. I do the stink master/murderer every other day then the helliptical on the alternate days. Yep, that'll work lol thanks!

I did the grapevine when I got lost, or just marched in place until I figured it out again. Key is to keep moving. That being said, I am not in a gym right now and haven't been in awhile. :(.

OMG jhansen those are BOTH perfect. I do the stink master/murderer every other day then the helliptical on the alternate days. Yep, that'll work lol thanks!

How long do you do on the stair master? I am still on 30 min on the helliptical. I think I may need to move up on the helliptical. I do 30 min at 5.7mph.

Lemme check my phone (MFP appl).... I did 51 mins today on the helliptical (plus 60 mins Water aerobics and then 15 mins Water jogging). Yesterday I did the stair murderer for 46 mins (then zumba for 60 minutes, well if you could call it that lol).

IDK what's gotten into me, but I made a goal to try three classes this week and I am incorporating them into my schedule. Now hip hop tomorrow, body pump, or zumba (laughable how uncoordinated I am, but man and I sore in my trunk).

And Jazzmin, that's amazing! Awesome burn!

Well ladies, I have to say I think Zumba was probably the BEST thing Ive done so far cardio-wise since I woke up this morning sore EVERYWHERE! LOL. They have a Zumba "gold" class this afternoon that I was thinking about going to to try to learn the steps better, that's for elderly people and bariatric patients, but I'm not sure I can move today. We'll have to see if I loosen up a little! You're right though, we shouldn't care what we look like, we're awesome for just getting up and going and we're doing this stuff FOR US! :)