Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Must This Be So Hard With Tricare?

Ok so my husband and I are stationed in Ohio. He is Army and a recruiter, so we don't have an MTF, but there is one an hour away, Wright Patterson AFB. I called them and asked if they perform the VSG and they said they don't do that surgery on base anymore! Seriously? This is the one time in my life I have been so sure about this decision and now I am basically being told I can't have it done. I don't want gastric bypass, I know a few friends that have had it done and have had many complications and I'm a bit scared of all of that. The LapBand was my second choice, but I don't want to settle just because Tricare and the hospital is being difficult. Now I'm stuck and I don't know what to do....any suggestions?

I too am military and was determined to get the surgery, I suggest to try another military hospital a little further away. You may have to commute however so keep that in mind. If you find commuting mpossible due to familhy constraints, etc. you can always go to Mexico to get it done. Many people on this site want the surgery done ASAP, don't want to jump through the insurance hoops, or don't have insurance coverage go to to Mexico an option for them. Research it carefully, there are many threads and board certified Dr's. who advertise on this site who perform the surgery in Mexico, the cost is around $3,500.00-5,000.00 from what I've read on here. Good luck to you on your Quest to get healthy.

I'm also a military wife and we are stationed here in JBLM, WA. Well I didn't have any issues dealing with Tricare whatsover. Maybe depending on where you're at right now. I know for a fact that they stop doing lap band completely. Won't they refer you out? Ask your PCM if they can do that for you, instead.

Best of luck to you.............

I don't mind traveling a few hours for the surgery, if I am able to do that then I will see if I can do all of the pre-op requirements where I am. Thanks for the idea but I am not going to Mexico for the surgery, I don't trust doctors much in the US and I wouldn't trust them there at all. So far I have requested a referral from my doc to go to a local surgeon and see what they have to say. I just don't want to settle for another surgery when I know what I want. Thanks for ur help ladies!

I am also a military wife my husband is in the navy. I am having the sleeve done here in Jacksonville Fl. The hospital here preformes the surgery the requirements were to take a ship shape class that was 8 weeks long, have a physical, psych evaluation, EDG, and 5 support group meetings. The process is 5 months long. I am not sure but maybe you can do everything local and then have the procedure done here.

I am also a military wife my husband is in the navy. I am having the sleeve done here in Jacksonville Fl. The hospital here preformes the surgery the requirements were to take a ship shape class that was 8 weeks long' date=' have a physical, psych evaluation, EDG, and 5 support group meetings. The process is 5 months long. I am not sure but maybe you can do everything local and then have the procedure done here.[/quote']

Hi.

I am located in Jacksonville, FL too. We are a retired military family. Friday my PCM put in a request for general surgery for me for the sleeve. Someone should be contacting within 10 business days. My question to you is what is the next step? Do we get to chose our surgeon? Where are the classes located? What is EDG? Is a supervised diet required? Thank you in advance. I'm do excited and anxious at the same time. Any other info you can share would be much appreciated.

Ladybug143

Once you get your referral you contact NAS Jax General Surgery and make an appointment. At my first appointment at NAS my doctor Captain James Flint went over all of the weight loss surgeries avliable ( lap band which they do not do on base you would be referred out, the sleeve and gastric bypass). He explained to be a canadate for the surgery BMI if 35 with a weight related disease or a BMI over 40. This appointment was short. Next step us to meet with the nurse coordinator Mrs. Masari (not sure on the spelling) when you see her she goes over all the requirements and the process. You will need a physical and PAP done if you have not had one recently. Start ship shape classes they are once a week two hour classes 8 weeks long. Durring the 8 week class you log your food and turn it in to the NUT. They except you to lose about 1-2 pounds a week doing this . About 4 weeks into class you will call to get referral for your physcologist appointment. You meet the physcologist one time they ask about your history and if you are prepared for this life changing surgery. You are also required to attend 5 support group meetings which are once a month at the General Surgery Clinic they are about an hour and a half long. You will also have an EDG done were they put a scope down your throat look in your stomach for ulcers, hernias. I live out in Mayport and had all my classes here but they are also avliable at NAS. Lastly I did not choose my surgeon but so far he is awesome. Takes time to answer all my questions and actually listens to me. I think I covered everything any more questions feel free to ask. Good luck

Ladybug143

Once you get your referral you contact NAS Jax General Surgery and make an appointment. At my first appointment at NAS my doctor Captain James Flint went over all of the weight loss surgeries avliable ( lap band which they do not do on base you would be referred out' date=' the sleeve and gastric bypass). He explained to be a canadate for the surgery BMI if 35 with a weight related disease or a BMI over 40. This appointment was short. Next step us to meet with the nurse coordinator Mrs. Masari (not sure on the spelling) when you see her she goes over all the requirements and the process. You will need a physical and PAP done if you have not had one recently. Start ship shape classes they are once a week two hour classes 8 weeks long. Durring the 8 week class you log your food and turn it in to the NUT. They except you to lose about 1-2 pounds a week doing this . About 4 weeks into class you will call to get referral for your physcologist appointment. You meet the physcologist one time they ask about your history and if you are prepared for this life changing surgery. You are also required to attend 5 support group meetings which are once a month at the General Surgery Clinic they are about an hour and a half long. You will also have an EDG done were they put a scope down your throat look in your stomach for ulcers, hernias. I live out in Mayport and had all my classes here but they are also avliable at NAS. Lastly I did not choose my surgeon but so far he is awesome. Takes time to answer all my questions and actually listens to me. I think I covered everything any more questions feel free to ask. Good luck[/quote']

Thank you so much. You have helped me more than you'll ever know. I was going to wait for general surgery to call me, but I will call them tomorrow. My Dr. mentioned Dr. Flint to me, is he the surgeon? Should I go ahead a schedule a PAP and physical or wait? When is your surgery? Best wishes to you!

Ladybug143

When my doctor put in my referral I had to wait like 14 days and call the referral line to see if they got it. He gave me a paper with the number on it. Once they got my referral I called General Surgery. Yes, Captain Flint is my surgeon. I have my follow up from my EDG on July 13th and I am to schedule my surgery then. I am thinking it will be sometime in August. I am so excited when yoy first start the process 5 mobths seems forever but the tine does go by fast. I would go ahead and do your physical and PAP here at Mayport it takes me month to get in and see my doctor. I know they surgery clinic will order Labs for you to do. Thanks.

Hi again,

What time are the ship shape classes. I work FT and then do hair PT so I need to plan ahead of time. I do everything from NAS Jax but I have a feeling the classes will be during my work hours and I will have to make arrangements. Thanks in advance.

Ladybug143

My ship shape classes were at Mayport every Tuesday 9am-11am. I am not sure the time and day they do it at NAS. You were only required to attend 6 of the 8 to complete the class.

Ladybug143

My ship shape classes were at Mayport every Tuesday 9am-11am. I am not sure the time and day they do it at NAS. You were only required to attend 6 of the 8 to complete the class.

Thanks Smellbug. I'll go ahead and talk to my boss about these classes and the possibility of missing work. Are the support groups during the day too? Im so excited. I scheduled my appt for PAP/physical. Just awaiting the call from surgery. When I talked to central appt today, they told

me the referral is in the system but they will call me to schedule the appt. ALso, is there any our of pocket cost? Thanks again!

Ladybug143

The support groups vary as far as day and time. For example last meeting was Saturday at 1030am our next meeting is July 17th at 430pm. You should try to make the July meeting. The only thing holding me up is the 5 support meetings I have done everything else. I am Tri-Care Prime and I will have no out of pocket cost.

Great. I'm tricare prime as well. Is the July meeting at NAS or Mayport and where? Is it all sleeve folks or a variety of surgeries. How long does they normally last? You rock!

The support meetings are at NAS in the general surgery clinic. They are about an one and a half hours long. The one in July they are going to be talking about Protein Shakes there will be a NUT there and we will make and try different kinds. Yes there will be people there for the sleeve and gastric bypass. Also there are pre-op and post-op people there so you get to talk to people who already had the surgery. I love that part hearing all the success stories from people I meet. The post-oo people are very open and will answer any questions you have about surgery, recovery and how they are doing currently. Hope to see you in July. My name is Tara.