Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im scheduled for surgery the 4th of july with Dr. Kelly... I wasnt worried but now I am starting to. I have a lap band to be removed I have had for 7 yrs no symptoms but worried about complications or not being able to do surgery for things like a erosion... Now my kids are getting worried, im a single mom and they are scared I am going by myself. I have to admit, I am also. Id love to know how your experiences are, crossing back into the boarder and any other info would be appreciated. I am also worried about it working, since I did start at 415 with the band, went to 200 and now 265.. Ive always disliked my band and hate not being able to know when im going to throw up what ive eaten. Thanks in advance

Im flying out Sunday, I'll keep you posted. There are several ladies on here that have gone alone njsharon is a recent lone traveler. She can tell you more, or just keep scrolling through, and you will see lots of great stories. Dr K and his team are top notch, he has done tons of surgeries, and revisions. I am confident you've made the right choice in surgeons

I did not have revision nor surgery with Dr. Kelly but I did travelled alone. My surgeon was Dr Ponce and my coordinator Trish. I decided to go alone because one it was cheaper and two I figured I rather my husband take time off when I got home, there I would have nurses in the hospital and the hotel Trish and my sleeve sister and husband always were around. I did miss having my family but honesty if I was to go again I would do it the same way. I talked to my daughter and husband daily on Skype they got to see me that way and I got to see them too. There was no problems crossing the border or anything else. I have. Y whole journey on video on YouTube if you are interested in seeing the border, hotel and even surgery. I understand your fears, specially being a single mother, I was a single mother for over 10 years. Do whatever you think will be best for you and your family, make sure you do a lot of research on the procedure and the surgeon and the fear will minimize with time. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions!

I just had surgery by Dr Kelly on 5/23. I did not travel alone but there were a few there while I was there that did travel alone. You will be well taken care of. I found that those that traveled alone got way more attention and got to spend a lot of extra time with Dr Kelly and his staff. You will actually be left alone very little. The hospital staff was great and will take good care of you while you are there. My best Advice is to have your surgery the same day that you arrive. Good luck!

I traveled alone and would do it again. Everything was so well handled. I wrote about my Dr. Kelly experience in my blog on this site if you want a more detailed account.

Thank you for answers. Im worried about not having a passport but have been assured it will be ok. I feel confident in dr. Kelly, just usual fears that are compounded by my 9 yr old afraid I wont make it back to him.

Heather, I understand your anxiety concerning your child. I have 3 younger kids, and one that's technically grown (still my baby ;) ) and I didnt want them to worry needlessly, and adding to my anxiety, so they only know that im going on a trip. Plus I dont want them blurting out to my mil about it, so she can blab all over the valley about me, lol. I fly out tomorrow, and my nerves are on high, but I am confident in my surgeon, and I just have to give it to God.

My kids have seen me struggle with keeping foods down with my band, so they already know the drill. They will be fine, I like the skype idea. I have it on my phone. I don't have time for a passport so I'm anxious about that and of course just making it through the surgeryy.

I just had surgery by Dr Kelly on 5/23. I did not travel alone but there were a few there while I was there that did travel alone. You will be well taken care of. I found that those that traveled alone got way more attention and got to spend a lot of extra time with Dr Kelly and his staff. You will actually be left alone very little. The hospital staff was great and will take good care of you while you are there. My best Advice is to have your surgery the same day that you arrive. Good luck!

Why do you recommend having surgery the same day you get there?

I hit there about 1 and did not have my surgery until the next day at 3. Too much sitting around. A couple of the the other people that were there the next day got in about 1 quickly prepped for sx and by 4 were in surgery. Dr. Kelly does not typically start his sx until the afternoon bc of the schedules of some of the docs that do sx with him.

Thank you for answers. Im worried about not having a passport but have been assured it will be ok. I feel confident in dr. Kelly, just usual fears that are compounded by my 9 yr old afraid I wont make it back to him.

You are traveling to Mexico without a passport? How is that possible?

I just got back from Mx. I went alone and also had a band. Unfortunately because I did have an erosion, the were only able to take out the band and I will have to come back after several months for my sleeve...and my risk of a leak is much higher because of the previous band and now, especially because of the erosion. But, it sounds like you have an experienced doctor( I went with Dr. Aceves) and will have tons of support in Mx. This will be fine. You owe it to yourself to get the band out...it is a ticking time bomb in my opinion and you owe it to your kids to be healthy enough to see them grow up...which will be hard to do at 400 pounds. It's scary but lots have done it safely and have success stories to tell.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!

I have applied for my passport card but have no idea if it will come in time. I was told by a few people if I have my drivers license and original birth certificate, I will be allowed back into us...anyone else know if that is true? And if I get my card in time do I still need the additional id?

I have applied for my passport card but have no idea if it will come in time. I was told by a few people if I have my drivers license and original birth certificate, I will be allowed back into us...anyone else know if that is true? And if I get my card in time do I still need the additional id?

I would never risk it but .... I would be calling and finding out where the heck it is. I applied for my full passport on April 27th and nearly a month later I got a letter asking for more documentation which I immediately sent - I sent it Fed Ex and the Tucson facility signed for it on the 29th of May (I rememeber since it was Memorial Day weekend. I had my passport in the mailbox on that following Friday the 1st. To me at least Mexico is unknown territory and while I am sure it's going to be ok down there I would never travel without a passport or the card. I know if you go to http://travel.state.gov/passport/status/status_2567.html you can check on the status of a regular passport and if not you can find the location of your loal place to make an appt to go in there in person but oyu have to have your confirmed travel date and proof of airline tickets round trip 2 weeks prior.

Oh and I am taking all of my ID with me anyway - my Passport, license and social security card. I carry the last two with me at all times anyway