Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My life has changed so much in the year since my surgery. Some of it was expected but most of it was not. My story started about a year and a half ago with the death of my mother. She died as a result of a life long battle with obesity. She was 54 years old when she died at 325 lbs. I watched her struggle with her weight and all of the comorbidities for my entire life. I struggled with being overweight my entire childhood, teens, and now my twenties. As an ICU nurse, I knew it was only a matter of time before I had diabeties, high blood pressure and heart disease that killed my mother. She passed away in November and I started researching VSG in January. I realized insurance would not pay for it due to my BMI of 37 and no comobidities. I was 5'6, 225lbs, and a size 16/18. Self pay was going to be my only option so I started looking at surgeons. Dr. Ramos-Kelly fit my criteria and was willing to answer all my questions. Being a nurse, I just wanted to make sure everything would go smoothly. My husband at the time wasn't supportive due to the cost, even though I was paying for it from my own money. On May 15, 2011 we flew to San Diego and stayed the night at a hotel. I was sooo hungry and was ready to get the surgery over with. The next morning, the driver picked us up and took us over the border to Tijuana. We arrived at the hospital and were greeted by an interpreter. They took me back to the room and had me change into a hospital gown. The nurse came in and started my IV(on the first try, a miracle with me). They drew labs and the cardiologist came in to do an EKG. About 3pm they took me back to surgery, I was nervous due to some previous complications with anesthesia that almost cost me my life. Dr. Kelly came in and held my hand and told me it was going to be ok. The next thing I knew, I was in my room with an oxygen mask over my face. I was hot and having a little bit of gas pain. An hour later I got up and put my pajamas on. I had a drain and 5 incisions on my belly. Within a few hours, I began to throw up. I expected that because of my reaction to pain medication and anethesia. It subsided about 8 hours later and at 3am, I was walking the halls with my IV pole. They let me shower in the morning and I spent the day walking and reading. My sleeve sisters, that I had gotten to know by phone, and I got to visit. On the 18th, my drain and IV were removed. We were taken to another facility for the leak test. It turned out great and we were taken to the hotel to rest some more. Dr. Kelly came to check on me in the afternoon and our prescriptions were delivered. The next day, we went sight seeing with Trish and got some souveniers. The next day we flew home and I was not having pain.

Over the next few weeks, I struggled to get enough fluids and Protein. My husband left two weeks after my surgery. I was 28 years old and had been with him my entire adult life. It wasn't a good marriage but we had no plans to divorce after being together 10 and half years. At least we didn't have children because I wanted to wait to loose the weight. I had never been told about the high divorce rate after WLS. I don't have answers as to why he did what he did, but it doesen't matter now. By July 4th, I had lost 35lbs and was trying to keep from losing my mind as well. July 6th, I was leaving the hospital after working 12 hours and needed to get some boxed to pack up some of my bigger clothes. A tall, handsome man, who worked in the area I had been directed to go for boxes, asked me if I needed help. I told him I needed boxes and just point me in that direction. He insisted on helping me out to my car with them and the rest is history. That tall, handsome man has been my boyfriend for 10 months and is the absolute love of my life. He has been so supportive through my weight loss and body image issues. By January, I lost a total of 75lbs. I am 15 lbs under goal and am very healthy. My labs are great and I have had very few complications. My only complications are orthostatic hypotension(blood pressure drops when I stand up too fast) and mild gastritis(due to taking ibuprofen). I take all my Vitamins and prilosec. I am no longer able to take ibuprofen, which sucks if I have a headache. I started out at a size 16/18 and am now a 6/8. My back and feet don't hurt anymore. My blood pressure went from 137/85 to 95/54. This journey has changed my life in so many ways and it wasn't easy, but it is sooo worth it. I am the happiest that I have ever been in my life, not just with the way I look, but with my life in general. Life didn't go the way I had planned, but thankfully God had better plans for me.

Congrats on your happiness and thanks for sharing such a touching story.

I lost my Mom a week after my surgery - I had not told her yet. She was not obese just the opposite - she was so small and frail when I saw her in the casket - but I can't easily discuss that yet.

My Husband has been so worried, but he has no plans to leave and i don't plan to let him (ok - so he is going to be in Israel and Cypress for at least a month - but that doesn't count, lol). I did lose friends and I am struggling with the image part.

A year from my surgery, wow, I can't imagine that far ahead yet. Wish me luck - and good luck to you! Keep up the good work!

thanks for sharing!! That is a great story.... congrats

I am sorry for the loss of your mother. This story had a fairy tale ending. I am glad that you chose to make your life better with both the sleeve and your new boyfriend. God is great! Your husband will realize later that he lost out on a good catch! Keep us posted!

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry about the loss of your mother and Pookey, I'm sorry about your loss as well.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am glad everything turned out so well for you!

Wow, what an inspirational story. When one door closes another one opens. Best of luck to you.

Congrats!!! :)

Congratulations! And thank you for sharing.

Amazing story! It sounds like your life has changed in so many positive ways! :)