Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so confused.....I have my surgery date next tuesday the 5/22 and I keep thinking maybe I can lose weight on my own and shouldnt go through with it. My sister found out today that she has to have her lapband removed because of erosion......I know I'm going for the sleeve but still nervous about the surgery and the idea of not being able to eat.....

But realistically, how long would it take to lose weight by yourself & would you keep it off? That is what worried me anyway. I know I am a yoyo dieter, I lose weight, then I gain weight, then I lose weight, then I gain weight. I never get anywhere. With this tool if you use it correctly, you will lose weight!

I have absolutely no regrets now!

I see more complications with lap band than sleeve. Seems it either erodes or it slips. I was considering lapband & so glad I decided on the sleeve.

Good luck, you will do great!

Thank you for your support! your right, yo yo dieting is what I've been doing all my life!

i lost 65 lbs getting ready for surgery. like you i had second thought considering i lost 65 maybe i could continue loosing and do it on my own. But i have been overwieght most of my life and had'nt done it yet. Always going up loosing 50lbs then gaining back 60. I am only 1 month post op but have absolutley no regrets it is a big change you WIL NOT be able to eat same amounts of food. you will be amazed how fast you will be full. The hardest thing for me so far is knowing when i am full, usally too late. in my mine i am still that fat guy overfilling my plate. But I am down 32 lbs since April 20. I am starting to like the way I look again. The pain was only about 10 % of what i expected. So have no regrets you can do this you will love what you look and feel. Good luck

I agree with what other folks have said. I also would say, as someone who is revising from the lapband, that you should not base your decisions on that. There are lots of band complications and the sleeve seems to be much better technically and far more effective.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have lost 60 pounds on my own since November and I started thinking wow, I can do this on my own. I went from 330 - 128 in 1995 five years and gained it all back. I have yo-yo'd from 300 to 200 to 300 to 250 to 300 and at 239 I am the lowest I have been since 2006. It's really hard when I realized I would have given anything to be only 250 lbs. and to think I would feel almost skinny if I could only get to 200. I haven't been under 200 since 1999.

I have a bikini, a skirt that' about a size 8 (which someone that was a size 2 said would be too small for her) that I have kept since I wore it last in 1998 and the waist was smaller than my arm at one point and now it's about the size of my thigh.

I am getting cold feet, but I know that eventually my lupus will kick in overdrive, the headaches will act up, my joints will start hurting, my feet will swell, my body will start freezing up on me and I'll end up on steroids, I will stop moving around and quit eating 3 times a day and go back to eating dinner only and start drinking away my calories (orange juice, Simply Lime, Cherry juice, apple juice). It's funny that food is not really my thing, but yet here I am sitting at 239 still having issues losing weight.

The one thing is curing me from not wanting the surgery is the chance that it will be postponed or the fear of them canceling on me lol. Funny how the mind plays tricks on you.

Congratulations 65 lbs is more than some people lose with surgery,give yourself a little butt pat,way to go kid.For me the sleeve has been the tool to keep motivated,after the mind gives in the stomach can't really follow.The single best thing I have ever done for myself ! I did notice a beer in your hand in your profile picture,you would serve yourself well to research alcohol use post surgery(beer is a carbonated beverage),honestly ask if you are ready to put that on hold for a year.If so ,RUN don't walk and get yourself a sleeve.

Congratulations 65 lbs is more than some people lose with surgery,give yourself a little butt pat,way to go kid.For me the sleeve has been the tool to keep motivated,after the mind gives in the stomach can't really follow.The single best thing I have ever done for myself ! I did notice a beer in your hand in your profile picture,you would serve yourself well to research alcohol use post surgery(beer is a carbonated beverage),honestly ask if you are ready to put that on hold for a year.If so ,RUN don't walk and get yourself a sleeve.

ha ha.....noticed that beer thats actually a before pic sometime last year. Although I havetried a beer didnt work foamed up in my sleeve so i have given up alchol for a while. But you right its the single best thing I have ever done for myself. No regrets. I would recommend this to anyone who has had issues with wieght problems. :)

Al, I see that you're a barber. My mom was a barber (not hairstylist!) for 27 years so I already have a soft spot for you. So when are you going to change the name of your shop from Big Al's to Slim Al's? :)

I like you am having surgery on May 22nd. I know exactly how you feel because I weighed 278 on May 5th and today I weigh 249. I know of course that it is due to the pre op liquid diet that I have been on for almost two weeks. The thought has gone through my mind several times...." Oh, Andi, you can do this without surgery" but then reality hits me hard and I remember the numerous times that I have lost and gained back plus some.... I am going into this surgery with a positive attitude and I am fully ready for a more permanent change.......we only have a few days to go.......:)

Al, I see that you're a barber. My mom was a barber (not hairstylist!) for 27 years so I already have a soft spot for you. So when are you going to change the name of your shop from Big Al's to Slim Al's? :)

ha ha, do you know how many customers tell me same thing. i tell themthat the big is not for my waist line but for size of my heart. thats so awsome your mom was a barber , my daughter is also a really good barber. thanks agai i will add you as a friend