Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Working While On The Liquid Diet Before Surgery

You may be a bit cranky and your energy may sometimes be low (totally understandable with a sudden change in diet) but there are a lot of RTD shakes that make taking shakes to work easy. (RTD = ready to drink, by the way)

I used to like the EAS brand - you can get it at Walmart and many grocery stores. It isn't too sweet and the price is good. Just pack a few in a cooler for work.

Does your surgeon require specific kinds of shakes? Some surgeons prefer you to use a particular brand.

Good luck!

I work 12 hour shifts overnight and I start to feel weak after so many hours. It is funny though because I'm not actually tired like I used to feel after we would order Steak-out or go to the 24 hour cafeteria for burgers and cheese fries. Now, I feel great but just weak. Like I can tell that I am not gripping things as tightly and if I am trying to get a surgical patient up for the first time my legs start to shake. That may also be from increased workout.

I am a cook for a living so I've been trying to start now to prepare myself for the two week pre op liquid diet. I don't have a surgery date yet but soon I hope. It's going to be hard to do the pre op diet at work but I look at it as I have to do this for me! Good luck to you.

I work 12 hour shifts overnight and I start to feel weak after so many hours. It is funny though because I'm not actually tired like I used to feel after we would order Steak-out or go to the 24 hour cafeteria for burgers and cheese fries. Now' date=' I feel great but just weak. Like I can tell that I am not gripping things as tightly and if I am trying to get a surgical patient up for the first time my legs start to shake. That may also be from increased workout.[/quote']

Omg I'm glad u posted this Irishmama- we should talk offline too- I'm a nurse and I work 12 hr overnight shifts- going back to work Monday 5/7 -- 12 days post op- i won't be lifting patients for a while but I was also concerned about weakness- and getting Water in

12 days post op! Good Lord. I was hoping for three full weeks. And then only working in the nursery. Yes, message me anytime. I think I need to call my surgeon. He gave 3-4 weeks for my co-workers but they all had bypass. Maybe this is less. Hmmm. I teach childbirth and was hoping to only take one week off for that.

I did, and the key for me was to make the protien shakes as interesting as possible. I used crushed ice, crystal light mixes, Peanut Butter only 1 tbs per day. It did suck for the first 3 days, but then it was fine. Drink lots of Water it helps. Good luck!

I have a physically demanding job and the worst problem that I had was a bit of lightheadedness. Just keep your Water consumption up and you'll be fine.

Yes I know 12 days doesn't sound like a lot, but it was my choice ok'd by my surgeon. i love my job and I knew I'd start to get majorly bored and depressed if I stay home any longer. I have to go see the NP of his practice on Friday and if he doesn't feel I'm ready then I have to wait another week to go back- also, my coworkers are very supportive and they are all willing to help me with the physical tasks.

Supportive coworkers, that must be nice. Actually the nurses I work with are very supportive. It is the techs that do not help at all and they are the ones who are supposed to get my c-sections out of bed and take my vag deliveries to the bathroom the first time after I have assessed them. We will see.

I realize how fortunate I am. Our techs are amazing. Actually, I work on a med/ surgical floor which specializes in bariatric surgery. I was on my own floor postop. :D so my coworkers have been on my journey since day one.

The first 3 days was rough, but after awhile, it is ok. I'm a very busy nurse, and there were atleast 5 days I only had a chance to drink one RTD EAS shake my whole shift. It did help me to lose 16 pre op, but it worries me when I go back to work. How am I going to find time to eat my little "birdy portions" all day and sip, sip?

Well, I am only 6 days post op still, so I guess I figure that out when I go back in 2 weeks.

I'm gonna beg my Doctor to give me 2 extra days, so I can go back on a Thursday,only leaving me working 2 days that week!! I have to ease my way back in there!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I just want to tell you all how much I admire those that have to work while going thru this. And those that have kids and work and have to go thru this! I am lucky. I recently became a stay at home mom and I wonder all the time how hard this would be if I was still working...you all should be very proud of yourselves...it is certainly an accomplishment!! It was hard enough to work, kids, husband, etc etc etc when I felt normal. What a strong group of people on this site!!!