Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all! I've had some moderate to severe pain in my right side. It increase with movement and it hurts to breathe deep. I called my bariatric nurse and she said I was doing too much around the house and with my son. Its been 3 days now and I think I may have to go to the ER. Am I being a hypochondriac? I'm 13 days post op.

I hurt real bad on the left too. At 2 weeks. I think it had to do with the retraction on the liverduring surgery. I didnt hurt untill after my 2 week visit. I wasnt doing much around the house so it wasnt that. Some said I wsnt drinking enough, It wasnt that. It finally went down on the pain scale. Took about 2 weeks to totally go awat. Stabbing pain at times. Took pain meds and waited.

Same thing happenee to me, I took the pain meds and took it easy for a few days and the pain subsided and did not come back. I had my post op and the surgeon said I may have torn an internal stitch but that with rest it would be fine...and I am fine.

First, WHERE on your right side. Is it up high, down lower, near your kidney/bellybutton area? Have you tried resting some? Are you picking up your son? You really shouldn't pick up anything, even a gallon of milk, until you are about 3 weeks out. If you're picking up your child, then you may be tugging on a muscle. I was told to wait until at least six weeks for weight lifting, so there's definitely a concern about the stitches.

I don't think you're being a hypochondriac. This is scary stuff and it's hard to know what's normal and what isn't normal. I do think that maybe another call to the doctor's office is in order before a trip to the ER, though. Ask the medical staff to give you a better idea of how long it should take for this pain to go away.

Has the pain subsided at all? If not, are you still doing too much? This is not the time to be Super Woman and keep up with the house, the kids, and your work obligations. Right now you should be sipping, walking, and resting to get your strength back.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes. :)

I was feeling so wonderful after my second week that the third week I decided to clean out my closet. Don't know if I pulled something but I also had pain on my right side near the incision where they removed my stomach from. I found I had to "hold" this area when I laughed, coughed, walked up and down stairs, etc. I know I overdid it and was scared that I had truly damaged myself. My doctor said to slow down and DON'T carry anything heavier than 7 lbs. It took 10 days for the pain to be gone. I'm week five and once again feel great.

I think I over did it. Hopefully the pain goes away soon. Now I wonder if 4 weeks is truly enough time before I go back to work. I work as an EMT in the 911 system and it's all bending and twisting all day long. Plus lifting patients, equipment , etc. my dr is adamant that I only need 4 weeks but after all this I wonder if I need more time?

My Dr said 2 weeks and now wants me out 6 weeks because of job

Two weeks?! That's nowhere near enough. I'm two weeks post op and still on pain meds. There's no way I could function.

I know I hurt for a long time. I took off 7 weeks, but I also had a hernia fixed. I also lift alot. i an a nurse

The nurse said the same thing 2 weeks; I'm like are you sure? She said the most was 4 weeks;????????? I'm puzzled; my friend had bypass last year; at her 2 week mark she had to have gallbladder surgery; total 6 weeks out of work. I'm kind of worried because we are 10 days full liquids prior to surgery and 16 days after full liquids. ( 5 of those clear only) therefor the gallbladder has nothing to work for and can cause stones. They found 2 small stones at the bottom of my gallbladder ; hoping he takes it at the same time. I will know I guess the morning of : 7 more days. Whoooo hoop!

So now I'm out for 2 months. I had a renal HIDA scan, to see if my gallbladder is working right. Next up is another stomach scope.