Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wannabe Mexico Bound

So I've been doing my research and have decided on Mexico. In order to get the funds I am basically having to beg my boss to amend the 401k plan to include financial hardship. He hasnt given me his decision yet ????. Anyway, I work for a small office where everyone knows each others business. I'm ok with people know what I'm doing. After all, my being fat isn't a secret. Anyway, the problem I am having is I work for oral surgeons who both think going to Mexico is crazy!!! AND I'm afraid he won't do the amendment because of this! What I do with my body isn't their decision! Grrrrrrr. So frustrated!

I hope he will amend it for you! I know a couple of medical professionals I have told have not been happy about the Mexico thing. In fact I had to change my PCP as she was not supportive at all & gave me a 20 minute lecture about the perils of Mexico! Thankfully now I have a supportive PCP & a super nice psychiatrist & a couple of my friends I have told & they are supportive too.

Wish you lots of luck & keep us updated on what happens!

I thought that by law money could be taken out of you 401k without any penalties if it was for medical expenses. I had to do that a few years back for a different health problem. You might want to look into that.

I'm another one that had their PCP dump them...but mine just dumped me over getting bariatric surgery period, not over going to Mexico...she called it "barbaric surgery". Awesome. The big thing, no matter which surgeon you go to and what country they practice out of...do your research. Ask those questions. Be confident in your choice...it's easier to combat superstition when you are armed with facts :D

At the risk of sounding like a JG Wentworth commercial, I have side with Mews here...."It's your money...use it when you need it!". I'm pretty confident that you can withdraw from your 401k for medical expenditure over X amount. I have had patients come through my practice in the past year who had done just that for medical bills. May want to check with a CPA, they're usually have a pretty good knowledge base on such things.

Good luck either way!

The contact person who administers our 401k checked into it for me and it's not marked where you can obtain it for financial hardship (medical included in that). The addition of that has to be amended. Or he said the only other way to get it is to quit and I love where I work and who I work with, do I don't really want to do that unless I HAVE to!

Woohoo!!! He said yes!!!!

Well, of COURSE American doctors think going to Mexico is crazy! They're losing business! They seem to forget that America, too, is FULL of people who graduated from medical school at the bottom of their class and then barely squeaked by their internships. And guess what they are called...DOCTOR! :wacko: I'm sure there are good - and bad - Mexican surgeons. Do your research well. Be careful of a lot of the so-called "reviews" on the internet, I am sure that a number of them are advertising plants made to look like satisfied customers. Best of luck.

Do you have to tell them where the surgery is? The surgeon can fill out paperwork is needed without disclosing location!

It's a very small office. Only 11 of us including the 2 doctors! We don't even have an office manager!! I guess I could have lied about where, but that's not me. Besides, I'm not ashamed of where. If anything, beaurocracy (sp?) of our own great country's health system has led to people going outside the US. It's as though insurance was started or is still ran by the mafia!

Oh that is great that he is doing that for you. It is hard to even tell people let alone a doctor you are going to Mexico for surgery.

I did not mean to lie, but just not tell if it made you think they would not give you the things you needed to get your money. Unfortunately there are many people who don't understand why we choose to go to other countries for our surgery. I am glad you got it all worked out. Good luck!

I did not mean to lie' date=' but just not tell if it made you think they would not give you the things you needed to get your money. Unfortunately there are many people who don't understand why we choose to go to other countries for our surgery. I am glad you got it all worked out. Good luck![/quote']

I can't wait! I am soo excited, I just got finished packing makeups and necessary liquids (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc) in the FAA approved packaging. I have 3 loose fitting maxi dresses in my drawer ready to pack! Wish it was tomorrow! Guess I'm jumping the gun getting all ready! Lol ????????????

If your insurance will not pay, Good luck in Mexico. Do you have a Dr. to go to if problems come up here? Find one. Even here in the states things can to wrong, but are medicine here is so much better. Mexico isnt as bad as the news makes it out to be.

I have my pcp to start. He will help me find the next one.