Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weigh too much for band?

brenda,

You might want to find a new dr. Many of us started over 300 and lots over 400. I have only had my band two weeks so I can not tell you the outcome yet but I am sure you will get many responces on this question. Take a look at the before and after thread, It shows so much weight loss... Could it be that your doc is more leaning toward RNY? I would explore your options fully before I just take his word for it.. good luck

I did not start out in the 3's, but I know of many banded people who did. From my understanding, the band can work as many miracles as RNY, it just takes longer.

When I was inquiring about WLS, I asked my doctor if Bands were more appropriate for people with less weight to lose. The majority of doctors I met with stated that both surgeries (LapBand /RNY) could achieve the same results long term-bandsters just take longer to get there.

One doctor explained to me that while RNY patients lost weight quicker in the beginning, they often begin to regain some of their weight and stretch their pouch. LapBand's on the other hand, experience more of a long-term gradual weight loss. The moral of the doctor's story was that 5 years out from surgery, LapBand and bypass patients have almost identical weight loss results.

May I also suggest that much of your success with the band is linked to the doctor you choose. He/she must have a strong understanding of how to help you post surgically. Certain doctor's have considerably higher success rates with banded patients than others.

If you are able to come to the NY area, may I suggest you get in contact with Dr. Fielding and Dr. Ren of NYU Medical Center's Bariatric Program. Dr. Fielding has the LapBand himself, so he really, truly understands the key components to weight loss with a band. He and Dr. Ren are also considered among the top doctors in the world for the Lap Band.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I started out at 380 and was told by my Surgeron that he would not perform banding on me until I weighed 350 or less. I believe that many surgeons do this becuase of their insurance and liability. I did weigh in at 347 the morning of surgery and I have lost 20 pounds since the 20th of July!

I started my journey with the band on the 1st. Before the pre-op I weighed 315. My PCP told me that I would never loose anything with the band, but my surgeon felt it was the best choice for me. SO I did it.

11 days after surgery I am now a healthier 287! SO NO way are you too big for the band, and you CAN do it! Get a new Dr. for a second opinion, it is your body!

I was banded 3/20/06 ....a little over 4mos ago. I am now down 75lbs!! My starting weight was 335lbs! This am I was down to 260lbs!!! I still have around 100lbs too lose.... :Banane27: but at least I am on my way!!!! It can be done....if you go on the thread w/ BMI's over 50....there are plenty of examples of people doing GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our stats are VERY similar to bypass after 5ys! It truly is about choices....I believe that it can be done!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -75lbs :lol:

Consult another surgeon, you definitely can lose weight with the band. Because it takes some people a few months to get restriction, the process can take longer initially. Also, you won't lose as fast as with Roux-n-y but it all balances out after a few years.

I STARTED OUT OVER 300 LBS. I WAS BANDED MAY 19TH IN MEXICO BY DR. DEL LA GARZA. I JUST HAD MY FIRST FILL AUGUST 9TH, AND I HAVE LOST 33 3/4 LBS. IT IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE FOR MYSELF. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TALK MORE PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT seymourjim@bellsouth.net BY THE WAY MY NAME

Well I am so excited at all the response I have gotten. I am going to do some more investigating. I chose the Cleveland Clinic because they were so wonderful for my husbands 2 brain surgeries-another department all together. And also they accept United Health Care which is my insurance. I will go to Mexico if I can't find someone who accepts my insurance before I will have the bypass.

Thanks to everyone! Brenda

brenda which dr. have you seen at the cleveland clinic, i have 115lbs to loss. my dr. told me it will take 2 years with the lap band but, thats ok for me, i only want the lap band. maybe the dr. feels that you want the weigth to come of quickly

I saw Dr. Szomstein who charged me $281.00 to tell me bluntly that he would not do the band on me! I would be happey losing 125 lbs even though I would still be heavy and I am not in a hurry. Anyway I found out that my insurance won't cover the band so I am thinking of Mexico now. Thanks for your reply.

Brenda

I was banded at 382 and am currently at 279. I'm 6 months, 8 days post-op. I went into this determined to beat the statistics. My weightloss has slowed significantly, drastically even, and it's a struggle to meet the minimum loss guidelines, but I will tough it out. I'll take slow loss over malabsorption any day.