Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Think I Have A Hormone Problem

I'm in a remote location and getting medical treatment here is an absolute nightmare. They have to med-evac us to London for care and will only do it for an emergency. So I figure I'd ask here for suggestions or experiences so that I can approach the nurse we have here with some ideas of what to get tested.

I've experienced some weirdness in the last two months (totally unrelated to VSG or weight loss, I think) and was hoping someone could tell me if they had a similar experience or if they've heard of anything like this.

Two months ago I had a wacky cycle. I've always been clockwork: 28 days with ovulation right in the middle. I am NEVER late, not even when I'm stressed or sick or traveling. I was two weeks late and scared half to death I was pregnant (which should not be possible as my husband is for all intents and purposes, just about sterile). Then, out of nowhere, my period shows up. I get a short, spotty cycle and then it's back to normal.

For all of four days!

Then I immediately go into what feels like ovulation for me, complete with sore breasts and a breakout. But the soreness doesn't last one or two days like usual - it lasts two and a half weeks...complete with more pimples, dang it. And right when it ends I get my period again. This one was more normal but still very, very light compared to usual and only 3 days instead of my usual 4-5 days.

In addition to my massive three weeks' long breakout (something that again, NEVER happens) I've gained weight. Steadily, despite the fact that I've maintained with virtually no effort in the past. I've been tracking my food and nothing is out of line. I've been gaining about half a pound a day and I'm up five pounds in just the last two weeks.

This is not a matter of stress, Water intake or sodium intake. Something is just not right and I can't figure it out. I really, sincerely doubt I am pregnant - I've always "known" when I was pregnant within days of it happening, long before I could test. This doesn't feel the same way, not at all.

When I went into the clinic here I was told that unless I can name specific tests I want done there isn't much they can do. Additionally, they send our bloodwork out to Almaty and can't even do something locally, so the test I request might not even be available. I had my annual exam done last September so I could ask for one but all it would be is the usual swab and I don't know that they'd find anything that way. I'll be back stateside in August, but would obviously like to figure out what's going on before five more months pass.

Women in my family do go into menopause earlier (my mom was totally done at age 35 and I'm 31) but wouldn't I expect my cycles to get farther apart with that, not closer together?

I'm not sure where to go with this one. Anyone have similar experience and willing to share? I'm not even sure what to look for, honestly.

Thanks for your time, I hope someone can help.

~Cheri

Perimenopause is the years before menopause. You are probably in perimsopause since that is what your family history is. Perimeopause causes your periods to become irratic and sometimes they are closer together and sometimes farther apart. This can go on for a few years before they become farther and farther apart and finally quit.

Try taking black cohosh, it should help you with that at least till you either get back or figure out what to get tested for. You should "just in case" get a pregnancy test.

Yeah. I've been in Perimenopause since I was 25, up until my hysterectomy at 33. It sounds like me. Birth control pills will help even out the hormones.... I also had good luck with Black Cohosh, Evening Primrose, and an herbal product called Estroven. (I got it off Amazon.com) For tests ask for your Thyroid (T3 & T4), Estrogen, progesretone, and testosterone.

Interestingly, since the sleeve, my HRT has completely. Stopped. Working. So I'm a sweaty hotflashy mess. I'm really worried that it will negatively affect my weightloss. I feel your frustration completely.

Thanks for the input, ladies. After taking the time to actually look into it, yes, perimenopause sounds like the answer. I'll still try to get some tests run, and maybe going back on birth control will help. I'd previously used Nuva Ring to control my endometriosis but it's not available in my remote location (they only do a couple different kinds of pill here) and I only brought so many with me. I guess I might need to get tested to confirm and then start back up on some form of pill. Ugh. I'm wondering if that's why symptoms hit me all of a sudden, too - I just finished up my last Nuva Ring before all the weirdness started. I wonder if I was controlling the symptoms without realizing it.

~Cheri

I use birth control pills to completely replace my hormones. I am post total hysterectomy. Before WLS, it did a great job too. If you've been on hormonal birth control, it's probably been masking / treating this issue for awhile and you're just noticing it now because you're going on what your body is making for the first time in awhiel.

Elk did you get things back to normal? I had been perimenupausal for about 2 years and doc did not belive it said i was too young but i was in my early 40's so i thought it was plausable. Then last year at age 45, just before surgery doc took blood tests and confirmed I was in menopause...complete with hot flashes, night sweats and no period. However, we also figured after I lost some weight I would get my period back, hot flashes would decrease and my sex drive would return. Nope to all. I have lost darn near 90 lbs and the night sweats/hot flashes are about all I can tolerate.

Do not want to take HRT, read that Primrose Oil was an alternative but it can cause upset stomach and headache. Don't want to take anything that will upset stomach. Curious if you have resolve and or if anyone has recommendation for something to relieve the night sweats...my hubby says I "poof" when I get into bed, for me...I am soooooo over the personal summers.

Best

I'd definitely ask for a pregnancy test, just in case. Then, if that is negative, I'd start exploring other options like thyroid issues (because of the weight gain) and premenopause. Good luck!

Well, I got a bunch of tests done. I had to pay out of pocket to ship them to Almaty but it was laughably inexpensive (less than $30 for eight tests!) so no big deal.

Everything came back perfectly normal and I'm not pregnant. The next step is ultrasound to see if there's another issue. The weight seems to be coming back off but I have weird jumps up and down on the scale now that I can't tie to my diet.

And my cycle this month was a perfect 28 days again, so I'm not exactly sure what the heck is up. If we can't find anything via ultrasound there isn't much else to test or check so we'll chalk it up to a temporary thing unless the odd cycles come back again.

Thanks for all the feedback and I hope you get some help, Sandy. I think close to ten different people advised me that Black Cohosh helped them through the night sweats and other joys of menopause so I'd try it if you're willing to work with an herbal remedy.

~Cheri

Cheri, try this website: http://www.womentowomen.com/

On here you can more closely pinpoint your symptoms. I think they sell supplements or something, but they have great articles and diagnostic pages that may be helpful to you.

The thing with perimenopause is cycles can be normal for awhile and then go haywire for awhile. this can go on for years.