Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Am I Feeling Light Headed?

I have been feeling a bit light headed since Monday when I started taking all of my Vitamins (I'm not saying the Vitamins are causing the problem, this is just when I noticed it).

I know this is not really a lot of info, but does anyone know what could be causing this? It's not extreme but it makes me kind of tired. When I stand up I my body feels kind of heavy and I don't feel like doing much. I am 1 month and 3 days post op.

Thanks guys!

I can't answer this one, but I'm responding so that I get the info, too. Hope things calm down for you.

How are you doing on Water and Protein intake? Are you walking or doing some form of exercise daily? Being dehydrated and not getting in enough Protein can cause you to feel sluggish. Also, exercise actually increases my energy level. If I dont' do some kind of exercise, I feel blah.

What Vitamins are you taking? Do you have allergies to any of the Vitamins or to any kind of food dyes?

It might even be time for a call to the surgeon or a visit to the PCP. Perhaps ask them to run some labs to see if you need to increase or decrease vitamins/food/liquids.

You're also still pretty early post-op and all of the above could be irrelevant because you're healing, and healing takes a lot out of us.

Good luck! :)

I agree with Lissa, dehydration may be sneaking in if you are not getting your fluids in or another concern could be your potassium level. Good to call doc and let them guide you.

Best to you.

Grrr! I was hoping no one would mention dehydration! I have been slacking on my liquids since I've been able to start eating real food. That is probably the problem. I've never been a drinker, but when I was on a liquid diet it was easier because that's all I could have. I'll up my liquid intake starting today.

Also how long do us sleevers have the risk of becoming dehydrated? Or is this a life long thing?

I would say give the dr a call it could also be your blood pressure. We're you on blood pressure meds before surgery? If so they may be to strong now causing your blood pressure to bottom out and giving you that light headed feeling. Let us know.

I would say give the dr a call it could also be your blood pressure. We're you on blood pressure meds before surgery? If so they may be to strong now causing your blood pressure to bottom out and giving you that light headed feeling. Let us know.

I wasn't on any meds before surgery so I bet it's the liquid intake :0(. I'm getting gatorade today and I'll call the doctor after a couple days if it doesn't help. He is such a stickler about liquids and I know I've been slacking for about a week so I know he'll chew me out lol.

I've had this problem too. I was on BP meds before surgery and have continued to take that med after surgery because my BP didn't seem stable after surgery. However, now that I am almost 5 weeks post-op and dropped 30+ pounds, I'm wondering if my BP meds are making me light-headed. Being dehydrated, lowers your BP too (less Fluid in the body, lower BP), which could be the problem. Mine happens when I get up/stand up quickly. Good luck. That funny feeling is no fun....

Bcole, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, if you ARE dehydrated and you're dehydrated enough to feel light-headed, it's already time to call the doctor. You will not be able to re-hydrate your body on your own. In fact, if you go today, it may be a simple matter of an IV. If you wait, you may end up hospitalized for days, or you could have other health problems that are triggered by the dehydration.

Please call your doctor this morning and let him or her evaluate you.... and let us know what s/he says. Please?

So if I'm on the way to being dehydrated, is there a way to fix it at home? Like drinking gatorade and upping my liquid intake? It's not an extreme light headed feeling, very minor (i've been dizzy/lightheaded before and this is definitely not an extreme case).

I really don't want to go to the hospital if I can help it. Thanks guys!

Bcole, are you having problems getting liquids or have you just been lax in getting them in. If you have a problem taking in and keeping down liquids, then you probably can't do anything on your own. Either way a call the surgeon or PCP is easy and they can help you decide the course of action.

Call the doctor, please. If it's early dehydration, an IV with some liquids will make you feel 1,000 times better very quickly. If it's not dehydration, then your doc can point you in the right direction. If it's late stage dehydration, hopefully they can prevent complications like kidney failure/stones, low blood pressure, or heart damage.

I am admittedly a little cautious on this right now. A dear friend of mine was dehydrated (not a WLS patient) for a couple of weeks and died because of the damage to her heart and kidneys. She was 48.

I really think you should call the doctor. :)

Ok, I called the doctor and he said that since I don't have a problem keeping the liquids down, I need to push myself for 2days by drinking g2 gatorade and Water. If it gets worse, he told me to call him and they will give me an iv. He wasn't too worried about it, he said it was kind of common this early out but I def told me that I knew better and I need to get that Fluid in LOL. Hope this helps some of you :)

Bcole, Thank you!! :) I'm glad you called and I'm thrilled that you're going to follow his instructions. Hopefully it will be resolved quickly. I feel much better knowing that you've been proactive! Now I can go finish raking the yard! :)